Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone taking Young Kids to Avengers?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Anyone taking Young Kids to Avengers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-12, 09:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Anyone taking Young Kids to Avengers?

I've hyped it up so much I'm probably going to take him. Not the question is what time take him lol.

It's either tonight (going to be nuts) or one night next week.
Old 05-04-12, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I saw all the Marvel movies yesterday and placing them on a scale, I'd say Captain America was the most graphic (soldiers being incinerated and Red Skull's appearance) with Thor being the least graphic (all cartoonish). The Avengers falls in between, yes, real humans bleed a little, but there is nothing I found to be over the top or nearing The Dark Knight levels.

After seeing all of them back to back though, I strongly recommend parents tell their children that falling/shattering glass will in fact hurt them and could cause death or injury. I could not believe the amount of glass that just rains down on people sans any negative consequence, ever. (Iron Man movies are the biggest offenders).
Old 05-04-12, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

I would say any kid 5 or older could enjoy it. The violence is very comic book/cartoon style, and in all honesty no more intense than what you might experience on a theme park ride. However, there is a lot of character stuff that might seem kind of talky and boring to a young one. That should really be more of the concern, as you will most likely be sharing an audience with people of all ages and fidgeting might be frowned upon, if your kid is prone to such behavior.
Old 05-04-12, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 381 Likes on 306 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
It is kind of strange. Characters that used to be "for kids" are now staring in versions of their stories that are only acceptable for kids 10 and up (in my opinion).

My 4 year old daughter knows about Batman from the T-Shirts of the boys in her preschool. I thought "Maybe I should show her some batman." But even the cartoon is too intense for a 4 year old. I showed her the Adam West 1960's version. She liked it. She doesn't get that it's a comedy. Perfect level of action for a 4 year old and dad can laugh at the camp sillyness and oogle Lee Merriweather--Meeooow!
Funny because my son is a 4-year old Batman NUT! I can't let him watch anything unsupervised so we happened to find 1960 Batman reruns on HUBHD. Now I record them every night and my kids love it.

As for Avengers, I'm taking my kids (4 and 9). I will obviously do my best to censor things my 4 year old shouldn't see but I think the 9 year old will be ok.
Old 05-04-12, 01:49 PM

Got our 6:30 tickets, so here we go. Going to the 2D showing. I learned the hard way he's not ready to wear glasses for 2 hours...shoot I'm not really that big of a fan

That makes me feel better.

I agree with what the last couple have stated. I didn't let my boy watch much of Captain America, but he has seen Hulk (some), Thor, and both Iron Man movies.

He gets very limited viewing of the Batman movies and if I'm not there to fast forward....that's exactly why I bought the 1960 Batman movie

"Let me use my Shark Repellent Bat Spray"

Love It!
Old 05-04-12, 01:51 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

If you guys don't mind I'd like to steer this thread a little off topic. But since it's all parents in this thread it seems like a good place.

Does the MPAA rating have any bearing on your decision to take your kids? This movie is PG-13 yet most of you are saying you will take your 4 year olds. I wouldn't take my 4 year old to this simply because she wouldn't be interested and she doesn't know these characters. Furthermore I'm less worried about violence then I am that the film would frighten her. She's seen a lot of movies but she hasn't seen anything this intense before. Let's use 2001's Spiderman as an example. Would you guys take your kid to that? I would not take my 4 year old, not because of violence but because I know the Green Goblin would scare the shit out of her.

And back to the MPAA, when the Avengers and the Dark Knight are both PG-13 and everyone in this thread is saying, "I would take my 4 year old to the Avengers but I'd wait until they were 10 to see the Dark Knight" I have to say that the ratings system may need to be reevaluated.
Old 05-04-12, 01:51 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

There's nothing in this that they wouldn't see if they stayed home and watched Piranha 3D.
Old 05-04-12, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
If you guys don't mind I'd like to steer this thread a little off topic. But since it's all parents in this thread it seems like a good place.

Does the MPAA rating have any bearing on your decision to take your kids? This movie is PG-13 yet most of you are saying you will take your 4 year olds. I wouldn't take my 4 year old to this simply because she wouldn't be interested and she doesn't know these characters. Furthermore I'm less worried about violence then I am that the film would frighten her. She's seen a lot of movies but she hasn't seen anything this intense before. Let's use 2001's Spiderman as an example. Would you guys take your kid to that? I would not take my 4 year old, not because of violence but because I know the Green Goblin would scare the shit out of her.

And back to the MPAA, when the Avengers and the Dark Knight are both PG-13 and everyone in this thread is saying, "I would take my 4 year old to the Avengers but I'd wait until they were 10 to see the Dark Knight" I have to say that the ratings system may need to be reevaluated.
It all depends on the individual kid and what you think they can handle. I know I was watching PG-13 movies long before I was 13, and my parents took me to a lot of those movies. PG-13 doesn't mean no one under 13 should see the movie, it means what it says "Parental Guidance Strongly Suggested For Children under 13". Which to me says, be a freaking parent and watch what your kids are watching.
Old 05-04-12, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I remember watching the Exorcist when I was 6. I didn't let my kids watch it until they were 10. How times have changed.
Old 05-04-12, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 381 Likes on 306 Posts

Maybe a double standard but I wouldn't have taken my daughter when she was 4 either. She had no interest and I think it's a girl thing... my son, however, has been hardcore into these characters since he turned 3. And quite honestly, if I don't take him, I don't get to go either because a babysitter is not in the cards this weekend.
Old 05-04-12, 02:46 PM

I remember long ago when superhero movies were rated PG, then 1989 came along and Tim Burton's Batman resulted in the PG-13 standard we have today. I still can't believe Howard The Duck (1986) was PG when it should have been PG-13. The REAL Howard The Duck would be rated R, but that's another story.

The same can be said about G rated movies. They are virtually obsolete today. It seems kid friendly/animated films are assigned a PG by default due to what the MPAA deems to be "crude humor". But then again, I don't understand why horror films that should be rated R in the first place are released theatrically as PG-13 and then later released on home video format as either R or Unrated, not to mention Director's Cut, Extended Edition, etc. Why even bother going to the theaters and pay a lot for something inferior for the limited couple hours when in the long run you can buy/rent a superior product for a lot less which you can keep for a longer period?
Old 05-04-12, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

If anyone plans to take their young kids, please post here so I can avoid that theater.
Old 05-04-12, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
If anyone plans to take their young kids, please post here so I can avoid that theater.
I think your gonna be screwed buddy. If not kids then teens on their phones and texting.
Old 05-04-12, 03:12 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
All of the theaters. Unless you wait 2-3 weeks and go to a late night show on a weekday.
Old 05-04-12, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

I remember wanting to see Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom when I saw seven. My parents saw it and said there was no way I would be seeing that for a while. They made a good call IMO. They did let me watch Raiders, which in all honesty had just about as much scary stuff as ToD, just not as concentrated and non-stop.
Old 05-04-12, 04:42 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry C.
I remember watching the Exorcist when I was 6. I didn't let my kids watch it until they were 10. How times have changed.
Yeah, I watched all the Nightmare on Elm Street, Halloween, Friday the 13th, etc movies when I was a young kid and I turned out alright.

I read Batman: The Killing Joke when I was 10, and that had more mature content than any Batman movie likely ever will.
Old 05-04-12, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
Yeah, I watched all the Nightmare on Elm Street, Halloween, Friday the 13th, etc movies when I was a young kid and I turned out alright.

I read Batman: The Killing Joke when I was 10, and that had more mature content than any Batman movie likely ever will.
I remember my stepfather opening the Sunday paper and asking me to pick a movie.

It was 1984(I was 10) and what was the coolest looking poster art that weekend????

Spoiler:
Old 05-04-12, 05:14 PM
Political Exile

Originally Posted by Larry C.
I think your gonna be screwed buddy. If not kids then teens on their phones and texting.
True, but I'll punch a teen
Old 05-04-12, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

at the thought that modern comics are for 5-year olds.
Old 05-04-12, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by The Bus
at the thought that modern comics are for 5-year olds.
Yeah, when I think of comics for 5 year olds, I think of Archie and Casper.
Old 05-04-12, 06:06 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

I'll take my 10 year old to see it, but some of the other Marvel super-hero films are a bit too mature for her imo.
Old 05-04-12, 06:37 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Vlyger
The same can be said about G rated movies. They are virtually obsolete today.
Toy Story 3, Cars 2, and Ariety the Borrower are three G rated movies I can think of off the top of my head. Every Pixar movie has been G.
Old 05-04-12, 07:11 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
it's cuz comics are for kids and their parents don't read the comics. They just know it's for kids.
Comics are for kids ? I'm guessing you've only read stuff already mentioned like Casper, Archie, Ducktales, and stuff like that ? A lot of the time, comics are far more gory and violent than most movies.
Old 05-04-12, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 93 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
Halloween, Creepshow -- all that was fine when I was 11 or 12, but The Exorcist did a major number on my delicate psyche. I couldn't sleep for a week. My grandmother took my mom to see it in theaters when she was 14. The movie made them both so ill that they pulled a Linda Blair and puked in the bathroom afterwards. Always love hearing that story

As for The Avengers, I saw pre-school age children in the theater and none of them seemed too upset or had to be taken from the theater. I'd say that's a good sign.

Originally Posted by Vlyger
I still can't believe Howard The Duck (1986) was PG when it should have been PG-13. The REAL Howard The Duck would be rated R, but that's another story.
I think those duck boobs alone would have landed it an R rating in these overly conservative times.
Old 05-04-12, 07:45 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Spottedfeather
Comics are for kids ? I'm guessing you've only read stuff already mentioned like Casper, Archie, Ducktales, and stuff like that ? A lot of the time, comics are far more gory and violent than most movies.
I am pretty sure he was being sarcastic.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.