Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Avengers (Whedon, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: The Avengers (Whedon, 2012) — The Reviews Thread
37.55%
29.60%
18.05%
7.94%
2.53%
1.81%
1.08%
0.36%
0%
0.36%
0.36%
Avengers Disassemble!
0.36%
Voters: 277. You may not vote on this poll

The Avengers (Whedon, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-12, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 638 Likes on 492 Posts
Re: The Avengers (Whedon, 2012) — The Reviews Thread

Avengers High School Yearbook Photos:

Old 05-07-12, 10:35 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Check out the mullet on Hawkeye!
Old 05-07-12, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Wow, ya this was pretty much a perfect movie

I wanted to shed a tear every time Hulk was on screen because of how awesome he was

Probably will be seeing this a second time, haven't done that since TDK

Bravo, Joss Whedon, bravo
Old 05-07-12, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That yearbook photo set is all kinds of awesome.
Old 05-08-12, 04:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by RoboDad
That yearbook photo set is all kinds of awesome.
(Nerd) Captain America should be in 1930s clothing (/nerd)
Old 05-08-12, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

Saw it Friday night, then went again to a late showing Saturday night too. First time in about 15 years I have seen a movie more than once in the theater.

I thought it was pretty fantastic. Whedon nailed the characters, the action scenes were great, and the humor had me laughing all the way through. I thought Tom Hiddleston was fantastic as Loki, just great scenery-chewing fun. The Hulk had people applauding during some of his climactic scenes. Overall, just very impressed with this film. I definitely place it as my favorite superhero movie of all time. And I'll probably go see it again in the theater.
Old 05-08-12, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

For those of you who liked it in 3D, do you think the RealD or the Imax 3D is better?
Old 05-08-12, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,692 Likes on 1,052 Posts

Originally Posted by exharrison
For those of you who liked it in 3D, do you think the RealD or the Imax 3D is better?
I don't like 3D but the IMAX presentation was brighter (and louder, for some reason) than the RealD I saw. Even though people were howling during both showings, I only clearly heard Hulk's "Puny god" line in the IMAX showing.
Old 05-08-12, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Flatlander
Other than that I am as lost as well as Hulk only destroys but when the battle started, Banner could control himself to change into the Hulk when he wanted to without a stresser.
Banner made a comment to the effect that the one thing they don't know about him is he's always angry. There go no stressed needed to turn into the Hulk.
Old 05-08-12, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
I don't like 3D but the IMAX presentation was brighter (and louder, for some reason) than the RealD I saw. Even though people were howling during both showings, I only clearly heard Hulk's "Puny god" line in the IMAX showing.
Is the "brighter" good for this movie? I wouldn't want that for The Dark Knight, but it seems like that would be suitable for The Avengers.
Old 05-08-12, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only thing that disappointed me during my screening was the volume. It was fine for explosions, but at times, I could barely hear the dialogue. It seemed mixed lower, and the crowd was quiet.
Old 05-08-12, 11:07 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

The XD 3D presentation I saw at the Egyptian was flawless - in both brightness and audio level - the 7.1 mix kicked! It's the best IMAX alternative and with the extra channels of sound it's my preferred way to see, hear and experience a movie.
Old 05-08-12, 11:18 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

When I saw the film in 3D at Cinemark. It was bright compared to all the other dark 3D films I've seen elsewehre. I was happy to see that. In MY experiences w/ Cinemark here in Denton. The 3D films aren't dark as fuck like what I had to endure w/ Immortals when the Minotaur bit came up. Goddamn I still don't know about 1/3 what I saw in that bit.
Old 05-08-12, 11:25 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
When I saw the film in 3D at Cinemark. It was bright compared to all the other dark 3D films I've seen elsewehre. I was happy to see that. In MY experiences w/ Cinemark here in Denton. The 3D films aren't dark as fuck like what I had to endure w/ Immortals when the Minotaur bit came up. Goddamn I still don't know about 1/3 what I saw in that bit.
did you see this on an XD screen or a standard screen? Cinemark as far I know have Barco projector's, the brightness levels are superior to Sony's.
Old 05-08-12, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 638 Likes on 492 Posts

I need to see this again, if only for this scene:

Spoiler:

Old 05-08-12, 11:45 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Giles
did you see this on an XD screen or a standard screen? Cinemark as far I know have Barco projector's, the brightness levels are superior to Sony's.
Standard. Never encountered an XD screen. Sounds cool though. The XD uses Barco. Does the Standard 3D use it as well fro Cinemark?

Also..hey Rocshemp...what'd you think of the color palette overall now that you saw the film?
Old 05-08-12, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,692 Likes on 1,052 Posts

Originally Posted by exharrison
Is the "brighter" good for this movie? I wouldn't want that for The Dark Knight, but it seems like that would be suitable for The Avengers.
Brighter is better. Most of the movie takes place in well-lit areas and it makes their costumes pop.
Old 05-08-12, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by RocShemp

Spoiler:

I started out to post that that is the best scene in the movie. But the more I thought about it, the whole movie is the best scene for me. I can't wait to see this again.

But yeah, that scene definitely worked.
Old 05-08-12, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have a feeling another Hulk movie is a bad idea. Hulk will never be this great. Everything is downhill from here. I liked the first two Hulk movies but never has the character ever had a chance to play alongside like super heroes. Even Ruffalo's acting was nothing special. It was great for the film but he's basically playing off of Scarjo and RDJ. He seemed to mumble his lines at times. Would've loved to see Norton's take on this script. Love Hulk but he's better suited as part of an ensemble in the Marvel Studios universe. Not saying I wouldn't see a new Hulk movie.

One thing I totally loved in this movie was that it really did feel like one big Marvel Universe. Everything was connected:
-Ruffalo's line about the last time he was in NY.
-Hydra's weapons
-Natalie Portman's Jane and Thor calling Selvig a friend
-The radiant Pepper Potts
-Fury telling Thor his New Mexico vacation was the reason SHEILD was developing these atomic weapons. (wasn't there a Destroyer reference in the film?)
It was very rewarding to the geeks/fans that follow these films. Great love there Whedon.
Old 05-08-12, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 279 Likes on 214 Posts

When's the Asylum version coming out?
Will it be called THE REVENGERS?
And will Disney sue?
Old 05-08-12, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,999 Likes on 1,547 Posts

Originally Posted by starman9000
For your first point, she learned that he was there for the Hulk. They still didn't know what that meant at that point, just that they were doing something Loki wanted.
It still wasn't clear what his plan was, at least to me. I think it was a bad idea having the scepter be both something that was manipulating their emotions and the thing that Hawkeye was tracking. Because like I said before, the scepter didn't trigger anything with Banner, the explosion did.

This also made the later scenes, where Hulk plays nice, kinda odd, because there was no reason for him to team up with them...
Old 05-08-12, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Creo
-Fury telling Thor his New Mexico vacation was the reason SHEILD was developing these atomic weapons. (wasn't there a Destroyer reference in the film?)
yes, when Coulson pulled out that rifle to use on Loki
Old 05-08-12, 12:52 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Creo
I have a feeling another Hulk movie is a bad idea. Hulk will never be this great. Everything is downhill from here. I liked the first two Hulk movies but never has the character ever had a chance to play alongside like super heroes. Even Ruffalo's acting was nothing special. It was great for the film but he's basically playing off of Scarjo and RDJ. He seemed to mumble his lines at times. Would've loved to see Norton's take on this script. Love Hulk but he's better suited as part of an ensemble in the Marvel Studios universe. Not saying I wouldn't see a new Hulk movie.
I'd love to see them do something involving the Stearns character from the Norton film.

One thing I totally loved in this movie was that it really did feel like one big Marvel Universe. Everything was connected:
-Ruffalo's line about the last time he was in NY.
-Hydra's weapons
-Natalie Portman's Jane and Thor calling Selvig a friend
-The radiant Pepper Potts
It was very rewarding to the geeks/fans that follow these films. Great love there Whedon.
Yes -- when Coulson pulls the gun on Loki, he tells him that they based it on the Destroyer.

I completely agree that they did a great jon of throwing in winks to the previous films. You can also add the scene where they extract Natasha from Russia and tell her they need to have her talk to the big guy and she responds with something to the effect of "Tony Stark isn't going to listen to me."
Old 05-08-12, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks. Awesome moment.
Old 05-08-12, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RocShemp

Spoiler:

Loved that scene, the other one that had the theater going last night was:

Spoiler:
Hulk giving Thor the side punch after they take down the big Chitauri ship

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.