Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (2013; D: Francis Lawrence)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (2013; D: Francis Lawrence)

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-13, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Isn't Lionsgate still technically an independent studio? They might've had to pinch pennies a bit on the first.
Old 11-18-13, 10:27 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (2013; D: Francis Lawrence)

It's not just the actual money spent, it's the visual design aesthetics.
Old 11-19-13, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

I can understand not liking the design of the districts, or the capital (everyone pictured something different while reading the book) but the second half of the film takes place in a forest. What kind of visual aesthetics are you expecting?
Old 11-19-13, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I wonder what Lawrence will have inherited from Ross and co. and what will be new?

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I can understand not liking the design of the districts, or the capital (everyone pictured something different while reading the book) but the second half of the film takes place in a forest. What kind of visual aesthetics are you expecting?
It's technically an arena, with the forest as part of it.
Old 11-19-13, 01:18 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I was referring to the stuff outside of the arena. But it's not like the arena stuff exists in a vacuum.
Old 11-19-13, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Or lack thereof ... there was virtually no creativity exercised. It looked exactly like a 13-year old would have imagined it looking.

I can understand the flat, lifeless look of the Districts; however that look should not have carried over to the Arena. Much like the color shift in The Matrix (from the real world to the Matrix), the Arena should have had a sharper, more vibrant look to it as Catniss was "coming to life" in the Game. Even the Capitol, which should have looked like a rave, had a flat, dull look to it.
Old 11-19-13, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by devilshalo
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/eT7nD02Im5E?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Isn't that a little highbrow for Sesame Street?
Old 11-19-13, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
The first one wasn't, they just blew it up to the format for a limited one week run when it opened. I think many exhibitionists wished it had stuck around, as the movie that replaced it, Wrath of the Titans, didn't really generate the interest. If you've been to a Regal this month, they actually have a short promo for Catching Fire where it shows them operating IMAX cameras.
I have an old, probably expired gift card for a Regal cinema, but I've never actually seen one. Wrath of the Titans was about as exciting as watching paint dry. How do IMAX "blowups" work on the digital IMAX, the so-called LIEMAX? Do they just increase the resolution or something?

Last edited by hanshotfirst1138; 11-19-13 at 10:35 PM.
Old 11-19-13, 10:38 PM
Banned by request

Digital IMAX is 2k. No need to increase the resolution.
Old 11-19-13, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Huh. Wouldn't that be a step down from regular 4K? IMAX is supposed to be a step up.
Old 11-20-13, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gravity was flat out proof that Digital "lie" IMAX is actually legit. No regular theater screen can match the experience.
Old 11-20-13, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Lie IMAX was phenomenal with Gravity. The brightness and sound were phenomenal. Also from my understanding, IMAX has both 2K and 4K digital projection configurations, not sure if that's dual on both of them or if they're counting the 4K configurations as 2 x 2K.

In other news, this now has 63 reviews on rottentomatoes, currently sitting at 94% (59 "fresh", 4 "rotten") with a 7.7/10 average.

"The steady action footage alone is enough to make this an improvement over the first installment."

2hr 26m long.

Last edited by RichC2; 11-20-13 at 08:25 AM.
Old 11-20-13, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

shockingly, one of those 'rotten' reviews came from Rex Reed, who called it "Excessive, over-produced, obscenely over-budgeted and utterly pointless,and an overrated trillogy" he also spent the first paragraph complaining about the 3D of the first movie, but yet it was never in 3D... you would think someone at the New York Observer would tell him it wasn't
http://observer.com/2013/11/up-in-sm...-tired-rehash/
Old 11-20-13, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

And yet somehow he writes professionally? I get it if he disagree with you or I, but the facts straight!
Old 11-21-13, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

He didn't say he watched the first one in 3-D ... but it was a really odd placement for a completely unrelated personal rant.
As a wearer of distance glasses, I hate the revival of 3-D, a silly gimmick for kids from the 1950s that blighted everything from Bwana Devil to Kiss Me Kate then mercifully died out with House of Wax. So I was glad to watch the first Hunger Games without the discomfort of one pair of glasses worn over a second, and I didn’t miss a thing. I can live without another flying spear. This time, I saw part two in IMAX, a format that is a great advancement over 3-D but did nothing to improve this movie.
In some regards I will agree with his ill-placed statement. 3-D when used as a gimmick (i.e., throwing things at the viewer) sucks. When it is used to layer depth into a flm it can be masterful. The opening sequence to Star Trek: Into Darkness was beautiful ... until a spear flew off the screen.

I am alittle perplexed by this comment though:
I was surprised how much I enjoyed the original idea ...
How can a critic who has been around as long as he has state it is original and overlook the (rip off?) obvious influence of Battle Royale?
Old 11-21-13, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

I was wondering if they edited his review because I saw what he was going for as well, so maybe it's an edit?

131 reviews now, sitting at a 92% with 121 positive, 10 negative reviews. 7.6/10 average score.