Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

What movies do you judge people by?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

What movies do you judge people by?

Old 04-17-12, 02:13 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,208 Likes on 856 Posts
Re: What movies do you judge people by?

Fair enough. "only" was a poor choice of word.
I remember kind of enjoying it back when I first saw it as a teenager, but it's not the "masterpiece of cinema" that some people make it out to be... especially wannabe thugs.

I've owned the original since it was released on DVD, but still haven't watched it.
Old 04-17-12, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,039 Likes on 823 Posts

I don't judge people based off their movie tastes so much as I just take further recommendations with a pound of salt.

This is mostly because I like movies across all genres, and it's tough to tell whats going to entertain you on what day.

The ones that make me groan though are "faith" pictures, Courageous, Fireproof, etc; come to mind

Last edited by RichC2; 04-17-12 at 02:33 PM.
Old 04-17-12, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 453 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by dino88
If I meet someone that is into the Twilight series, I know they are too young to date.
Blanket statements are dumb.

I know a woman who's totally into the Twilight series who is 35, attractive, and is a successful lawyer, so she's not exactly dumb either. True, she might be drawn to certain movies for very simple reasons, but so what? She (and others like her) make up for it elsewhere.

It's like a car enthusiast calling someone dumb just because they see a car as something to get them to work and little else. Everyone has a thing they're into, and if that thing isn't your thing, so what?

I guess my gripe would be if someone holds themselves up as a "huge film fan", and yet haven't seen, nor have any real interest to see any movies made before they were born; these people exist and must be stopped!
Old 04-17-12, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

If someone says that "Star Trek (2009)" was a better film than "Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan"--then that's it. I need not inquire further into their film taste. They need to pass a college film course and get a prescription for Ritalin, before we can resume discussion on movies with me.

Last edited by PatD; 04-17-12 at 02:36 PM.
Old 04-17-12, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 332 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by PatD
If someone says that "Star Trek (2009)" was a better film than "Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan"--then that's it. I need not inquire further into their film taste. They need to pass a college film course and get a prescription for Ritalin, before we can resume discussion on movies with me.
I know a lot of non-Star Trek fans who say this...at least, they were non-fans until JJ made his reboot. They think TWOK is "slow". Go figure.
Old 04-17-12, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Blanket statements are dumb.

I know a woman who's totally into the Twilight series who is 35, attractive, and is a successful lawyer, so she's not exactly dumb either. True, she might be drawn to certain movies for very simple reasons, but so what? She (and others like her) make up for it elsewhere.

It's like a car enthusiast calling someone dumb just because they see a car as something to get them to work and little else. Everyone has a thing they're into, and if that thing isn't your thing, so what?

I guess my gripe would be if someone holds themselves up as a "huge film fan", and yet haven't seen, nor have any real interest to see any movies made before they were born; these people exist and must be stopped!
Maybe you meant to quote someone else, because I didn't call anyone dumb. And I thought it was obvious my post was meant to be a joke.
Old 04-17-12, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 925 Likes on 656 Posts

I know a woman who's totally into the Twilight series who is 35, attractive, and is a successful lawyer, so she's not exactly dumb either.
Spoiler:
Old 04-17-12, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,295 Likes on 2,114 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Martin
This thread can get poked in the pooper with every shallow and judgmental fuckstick.

That's judgmental right there.
Agreed! What a bunch of pretentious jerks around here.

But seriously, if you like Adam Sandler's comedies don't talk to me!
Old 04-17-12, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Cigars!

Originally Posted by wishbone
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Yd91A3Qcfkw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Seriously‽
Did you forget to post the funny part?
Old 04-17-12, 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by whoopdido
Definition of a movie snob comment. I hate comments like this.
Absolutely! I am a movie snob because I actually care about film and prefer not to be a mindless fool who buries his head in the trough of crap that is sold to the masses.

I have never met someone with any brains at all who liked 'The Fast and the Furious'.

I own a used dvd shop. People who come in and ask for shit movies are typically pretty stupid. They might be nice and useful in some other way but generally speaking they are pretty stupid.

I actually don't judge people by the movies they watch unless they have already raised my alarm in another way, and even then it would be a combination of issues not simply movies.
Old 04-18-12, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 330 Likes on 201 Posts

If it is something like saying they don't like Jaws, Aliens, Star Wars, BTTF then obviously that will taint my view of them. But mostly I bend my thoughts to if I just like or dislike them. I like RHPS so if they do and I like them then they are cool but if they like it and I hate them they are losers just trying to be cool.

I have noticed a sudgenre recently, I find that Avatar-haters are usually douches.

Ah I must amend: anyone who automatically doesn't want to watch something because it is subtitled or black and white I consider stupid.
Old 04-18-12, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just one: Toys. If you liked it, then I hate you.
Old 04-18-12, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 330 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
Just one: Toys. If you liked it, then I hate you.
I hate you too.
Old 04-18-12, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
If it is something like saying they don't like Jaws, Aliens, Star Wars, BTTF then obviously that will taint my view of them. But mostly I bend my thoughts to if I just like or dislike them. I like RHPS so if they do and I like them then they are cool but if they like it and I hate them they are losers just trying to be cool.

I have noticed a sudgenre recently, I find that Avatar-haters are usually douches.

Ah I must amend: anyone who automatically doesn't want to watch something because it is subtitled or black and white I consider stupid.
I hate Avatar and am kinda a douche when it comes to movies, so I agree.

I cannot stand it when someone says they won't watch foreign movies because they don't want to "read anything" or they don't want to watch B&W because they are 'old looking'. Those people are the worst of the worst.
Old 04-18-12, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All I can say about this thread is "Jesus Fucking Christ".
Old 04-18-12, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by foofighters7
Absolutely! I am a movie snob because I actually care about film and prefer not to be a mindless fool who buries his head in the trough of crap that is sold to the masses.

I have never met someone with any brains at all who liked 'The Fast and the Furious'.

I own a used dvd shop. People who come in and ask for shit movies are typically pretty stupid. They might be nice and useful in some other way but generally speaking they are pretty stupid.

I actually don't judge people by the movies they watch unless they have already raised my alarm in another way, and even then it would be a combination of issues not simply movies.
I like The Fast and the Furious, and i'm pretty sure i'm not a mindless fool. Or am I?
Old 04-18-12, 10:03 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by arminius
All I can say about this thread is "Jesus Fucking Christ".
It's Jesus titty fucking Christ, motherfucker. Get it right.
Old 04-18-12, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I've come to decide that movie snobs aren't "true movie fans." Motherfuckers.
Old 04-18-12, 10:09 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by dino88
If I meet someone that is into the Twilight series, I know they are too young to date.
Overweight housewives in their mid-forties are too young to date?
Old 04-18-12, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 762 Likes on 493 Posts

Originally Posted by hasslein
If they like crappy movies, I don't judge them, I just don't heed their movie recommendations.
Bingo.

One of my best friends likes really bad comedies. I'm talking really bad. Adam Sandler, Big Momma's House, every generic romantic comedy, etc. But she's very open to and enjoys many different types of films (foreign, B&W, silent, whatever) that I put on. Bottom line is that I know I don't have to dumb down my movie selections for her, but I also know to take her comedy recommendations with a grain of salt.

Oh, you just had to go there! I used to work with someone just like this. It drove me absolutely fuckin' crazy. He was the only person that could make me see red when discussing film. He was so close minded about anything made before a certain time. I guess basically his lifetime. But he would go on and on and on about his love of film and how it's an art form, blah, blah, blah. But who needs to watch a Hitchcock movie? I tried cold hard logic to get him into older films. If you have such a deep appreciation for film, you should study and look at its history and some of the major filmmakers and movies because it would give you a better understanding of today's movies. I had very limited success. I know I got him to watch Psycho with me one time, and he actually said he thought he preferred the remake. *shakes head*
Old 04-18-12, 10:25 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So...do you just fuck her? Cuz that's the only reason I tolerate my situation.
Old 04-18-12, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 762 Likes on 493 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I've come to decide that movie snobs aren't "true movie fans." Motherfuckers.
I get the snobbery to a certain extent because at one point I identified myself as a movie snob. But over the years, I've mellowed and become more unapologetic about what I enjoy and have embraced exploitation films for the fun they can deliver. Now I identify myself as a film enthusiast.
Old 04-18-12, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 283 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast
I don't judge based on movies people like, but among friends I do appreciate a degree open-mindedness to seeing new movies. For example if I recommend a Kurosawa movie to someone I hope they don't run away because of subtitles.

However if someone's interests say something like "Black and White movies" I am left scratching my head. That isn't restrictive to any genre, era, whatever. I can infer that maybe the person is trying to say they like movies from the 40's and 50's, but to phrase it as such is just a bit weird. Okay so you don't watch 'modern' things as much. But I'm also guessing you don't watch Vitaphone shorts back to back in your spare time either.
I use "black-and-white movies" as a catch-all phrase these days meant to evoke films from the era when black-and-white was common, say the '30s to the '50s. I'll frequently address some of my younger co-workers, sometimes sarcastically, during the middle of a film discussion with "Do you guys watch any black-and-white movies?" Or "Have you seen any black-and-white movies?" Just yesterday I passed a co-worker who is always watching bootlegged current movies, either downloaded or on disc, on his laptop in the lunchroom and I expressed to him how happy I'd be if I walked by one day and found him watching a black-and-white movie. The idea is to invoke things like BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN, CITIZEN KANE, CASABLANCA, IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE, WHITE HEAT, film noir, etc.

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 04-18-12 at 11:17 AM.
Old 04-18-12, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 280 Likes on 211 Posts

Now that I can understand, evoking that era makes sense, but not the totality of B&W.
Old 04-18-12, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by foofighters7

FandF was a fun movie to watch, just like many other mindless blockbusters.

Honestly, you just sound like a very boring person.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.