Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

What movies do you judge people by?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

What movies do you judge people by?

Old 04-17-12, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 499 Likes on 294 Posts
Re: What movies do you judge people by?

Usually I have a movie I'll show girls I'm just getting to know to see their personality. Lately it's been Scott Pilgrim, and if they don't like it, it does make me hesitant to let things progress. Not physically of course, just the calling them after part.
Old 04-17-12, 02:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
I don't judge people by the movies they like or dislike. I do, on the other hand, judge people for judging other people by the movies they like or dislike.

But if we're talking probabilities, there's a 99.9% certainty that if you can't laugh your ass off while watching BLAZING SADDLES, we won't get along on any level.
I've never had a straighter face than when watching any of that guy's films.
Old 04-17-12, 03:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Anyone who thinks there were more than a handful of good movies made before 1987
Old 04-17-12, 03:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I judge people based on Avatar, I feel that those who liked it have a very low film-intelligence... likewise those who dislike 2001: ASO.
Old 04-17-12, 04:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

SHAUN OF THE DEAD is my litmus test
Old 04-17-12, 04:54 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Godfather, Scarface, Batman Begins, Dark Knight, and Napoleon Dynamite are some of my biggest "I just can't be around you or I'll catch the stupid from you" movies.
Old 04-17-12, 06:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,222 Likes on 1,252 Posts

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
SHAUN OF THE DEAD is my litmus test
I agree, to an extent. Unfortunately, one of the coolest, brightest, funniest people I have ever met doesn't care for that movie. So it's a litmus test that suffers from a modest false negative rate.
Old 04-17-12, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 654 Likes on 504 Posts

Originally Posted by Spottedfeather
Godfather, Scarface, Batman Begins, Dark Knight, and Napoleon Dynamite are some of my biggest "I just can't be around you or I'll catch the stupid from you" movies.
I can understand hating Napoleon Dynamite. But what do you have against the others?
Old 04-17-12, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 50 Likes on 37 Posts

I'm not very judgmental about people's preferences but if they tell me they think You Don't Mess with the Zohan is the best movie they ever saw I think they are a fucking idiot.
Old 04-17-12, 07:44 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 403 Likes on 252 Posts

I don't judge people by the movies they like. I prefer judging based on their socioeconomic status and the color of their skin like most people.
Old 04-17-12, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by whoopdido
Definition of a movie snob comment. I hate comments like this.
Old 04-17-12, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by CloverClover
I judge people based on Avatar, I feel that those who liked it have a very low film-intelligence... likewise those who dislike 2001: ASO.
Rottentomatoes 83 critics, 92 users
Metacritic 83 critics, 76 users
Imdb 80

I guess anywhere from 76%-92% of the movie going population has no fucking clue.

This thread is so stupid. Go ahead and judge me on many of the movies listed so far. I think many of them are complete garbage.
Old 04-17-12, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I suspect many here are judging you right now.
Old 04-17-12, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

While I do not really do what is described in the OP, I also go by if they only watch one genre, or do not watch an entire genre no matter what. I get why people would like this or hate this, even with classics, but don't go against an entire category because your closed minded. I hate that more than anything.

This thread does remind me of what goes on between me and my boss though. Other than agreeing on a handful of classics, and even then when he does like them it's more for the outer level of them being "awesome" than on any artistic level as a whole, we couldn't be any more of polar opposites when it comes to our tastes in film, or everything else for that matter.

For example, I got him started on Netflix a year or two ago, and now every few days he brings in his Netflix envelope to put in the mailbox next to where we are, and he "reviews" the film. He usually goes on and on about trash comedies, the dirt worst. Then again he does give different things a try now and then, like Moneyball, which he didn't care for because he was thinking it was going to be more of a comedy like Major League since Jonah Hill was a co-star, which led him going on a rant how comedians should never be in anything other than comedies, ever, not Jonah Hill, Jim Carey, none of them. It's fair to say I've never told him my favorite film ever is Eternal Sunshine.

Anyway, yesterday he came in with his Netflix envelope and exclaimed that he had just saw the funniest movie of all time. He said that he hadn't even sealed it yet. I knew where it was heading, but kept quiet. The film he was calling the funniest film ever?

National Lampoon's Dirty Movie

A short while later after a slow morning at work, he grabbed it and handed it to me and told me to stick it in the DVD tray on my computer and watch it. He just had to have me see it to experience it he said. I started it, and he stood behind me laughing his head off, just crazy laugh out loud moments with every scene. I forced chuckles so he wasn't insulted, then he started punching me saying see, I told you you would laugh at it!!! He would walk away to do this or that and I would skip 5, 10 minutes, to get it over with quicker.

Just one of the absolute worst pieces of garbage I've ever sat through.

But yeah, when films come up with him, I usually just listen and keep my mouth shut. I could go on and on with these experiences. Lets just say I learned to keep my mouth shut the day I was casually trying to talk about movies with him and told him that I wasn't a big fan of George Lucas as a writer, and that Empire was my favorite SW movie and it made since since Lucas didn't write the screenplay or direct the film. He denied it and said I didn't know what I was talking about, then went on to say that Empire was a piece of crap and the worst SW movie out of the six. He got physically angry at an offhand comment and had to go outside to cool off.

I don't really judge him, but I just know I can't ever talk about film with him, at least not in a back and forth way.
Old 04-17-12, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,222 Likes on 1,252 Posts

Rottentomatoes 83 critics, 92 users
Metacritic 83 critics, 76 users
Imdb 80
About what I would have expected. Avatar certainly was overrated, but I think it is a stretch to call it "bad."
Old 04-17-12, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 704 Likes on 434 Posts

Originally Posted by The Bus
Better lock up that pooper then.
Old 04-17-12, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This thread can get poked in the pooper with every shallow and judgmental fuckstick.

That's judgmental right there.
Old 04-17-12, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I wouldn't say I necessarily judge people as a whole based on their movie tastes, but it will determine whether or not I bother holding a conversation with them about film.

If, say, someone tells me their favorite movie of all-time is "Bad Boys II", I walk away.
Old 04-17-12, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 177 Likes on 125 Posts
Cigars!

Originally Posted by The Bus
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Yd91A3Qcfkw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Seriously‽
Old 04-17-12, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
I wouldn't say I necessarily judge people as a whole based on their movie tastes, but it will determine whether or not I bother holding a conversation with them about film.

If, say, someone tells me their favorite movie of all-time is "Bad Boys II", I walk away.
This is basically what I mean. It's not that I hate the person, just that "Eh, maybe you're a little stupid and I don't want to talk about Twilight."
Old 04-17-12, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,051 Likes on 866 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I can understand hating Napoleon Dynamite. But what do you have against the others?
Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
I think there are at least two other threads about spottedfeather's hatred of The Godfather. Next we'll go into a conversation about how there are objective criteria that indicate whether a movie is good or not.
Old 04-17-12, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 925 Likes on 656 Posts

Definition of a movie snob comment. I hate comments like this.
Originally Posted by fumanstan

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal

Pretty much. If a co-worker is raving about the latest Sandler* flick I won't walk away, but I will take their recommendations with a grain of salt from then on.

*Just one example.
Old 04-17-12, 01:15 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,208 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
I'm kind of with him on Scarface. The only people I know that love that movie just so happen to think that they themselves are thugs (ie: gangstas).

Originally Posted by davidh777
Next we'll go into a conversation about how there are objective criteria that indicate whether a movie is good or not.
Let's not get into that one again, please.
Old 04-17-12, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

If I meet someone that is into the Twilight series, I know they are too young to date.
Old 04-17-12, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 654 Likes on 504 Posts

Originally Posted by SomethingMore
I'm kind of with him on Scarface. The only people I know that love that movie just so happen to think that they themselves are thugs (ie: gangstas).
I don't consider myself a thug or gangsta but I still enjoyed the Scarface remake for what it was. Though my personal preference is to the original (really pissed it's not on BD).

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.