Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Movie locations you've visited?

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Movie locations you've visited?

Old 04-18-12, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,433 Likes on 913 Posts
Re: Movie locations you've visited?

The Taos Rio Grande Gorge Bridge. It's in Midnight Run, Natural Born Killers, Wild Hogs, Twins, and lots of TV shows.

It's such a pretty bridge. Too bad the state wants to cover it with chain link fence, to keep people from jumping off it.
Old 04-18-12, 01:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm from the Twin Cities, MN. I lived a few blocks from the house where they filmed Grumpy Old Men.

Also road the same roller coaster in the same seats at Mall Of America as the Charlie and Fulton did in Mighty Ducks 2.

Drove by the Mickey's Diner many times where Mighty Ducks with filmed too.

Last edited by Trance97; 04-18-12 at 01:44 PM.
Old 04-18-12, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

While in San Francisco, many locations from "Vertigo". Also "Tales of the City", "Interview with A Vampire", and "Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)".

"Frogs" (1972):Point Washington, Florida: Eden Garden's State Park. The mansion.

"The Exorcist" (1973): Washington DC. The infamous outdoor stairs.

"Revenge of the Cheerleaders" (1976): Cabazon, California: Large dinosaur statues. Now built up like a little theme park. When I was there back in 1987, it was just the two dinos and lots of desert.

"The Avengers": Downtown Cleveland, OH.
Old 04-18-12, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

I did some Harolding while in San Francisco once. Next time im there I'm really going to look for the "Vertigo" locations
Old 04-18-12, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts

After seeing COOGAN'S BLUFF (1968), which ends with a motorcycle chase in Fort Tryon Park around the Cloisters in upper Manhattan, I made my first visit to the park and the Cloisters.
Old 04-18-12, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Autotelik
I was just thinking of starting a thread like this, where we can post photos of places we've visited. The idea came to me when I visited a place last month that I never thought or dreamed of visiting. I was on vacation in Switzerland last month. I was a 007 geek growing up, and watched all the Bond movies at a young age. One of the most memorable scenes for me was when I was watching On Her Majesty's Secret Service when we see a flyover view of Schilthorn-Piz Gloria. It just looked so majestic, amazing, and exotic - it looked like a nice resort / hideaway nestled high atop the snow in Switzerland. Of course, I had no clue what the place really was when I saw it on TV for the first time.... it being "just another" ski resort that people could visit. I didn't think it was possible to visit the place....... until last month while on vacation, in my hotel room in Bern poring over a map of Switzerland figuring out where else I could visit... and saw the words "Schilthorn-Piz Gloria" on the map. Bingo! I knew I HAD to go there and make this dream come true! I finally got there, and it was very memorable. It really is just a ski stop in the winter. It's the highest stop in a ski resort area serviced by an air cable-car. Even though I don't ski, I spent a relaxing couple of hours up there checking out the view, having a coffee, and taking some photos. They also have a room with some 007 stuff showing photos from OHMSS as well as a 6-7min video clip showing scenes from the surrounding mountain/countryside and from the movie. I told one of the locals there I was a big 007 fan, and he told me I should also check out the place where the bobsled track used to be from the movie (it no longer exists). In the summer, the place is good for hiking, with plenty of Swiss mountain cows grazing along the trail.

Anyway, here are some photos:

Schilthorn-Piz Gloria (standing from where Lazenby and the girls were Curling)

A shot of the room where they have all these poster-boards showing the making of OHMSS (all in German)

A view from Schilthorn looking down along the cable-car cable towards the next stop down, Murren.

I had a great time, and really never thought I could visit the place when I saw it on TV as a kid.
That's my favorite setting in my favorite Bond movie---awesome!

Okay, I have to include this for effect

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/G5OCxwZI7YA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by Ky-Fi; 04-18-12 at 04:45 PM.
Old 04-18-12, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 285 Likes on 209 Posts

Universal Studios.

Actually, quite a few places as well. Went to Bruges because of the movie. So, saw or went to every place in the film.
Old 04-18-12, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Ky-Fi
That's my favorite setting in my favorite Bond movie---awesome!

Okay, I have to include this for effect

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/G5OCxwZI7YA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Me too... I was so happy to be there that I got a bit teary-eyed. Half-way around the world, I didn't know any German, but got the right train and bus connections and made my way 9000ft up the mountain to visit the place.

It really is a spectacular place. The front side of the resort has the ski slopes, but the back is a sheer cliff face that just goes straight down... looking over the railings was a bit nauseating. The slopes are marked for advanced skiiers too; I imagine it was not easy to do the stunts around there.

I geeked out a bit by playing the "Escape From Piz Gloria" track from my phone when I was in the room with the poster boards (the OHMSS soundtrack is permanently stored on my cell phone). People probably thought I was a bit weird.
Old 04-18-12, 10:16 PM
bcd

Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by LiquidSky
"Frogs" (1972):Point Washington, Florida: Eden Garden's State Park. The mansion.
Old 04-18-12, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 255 Likes on 163 Posts

Every day at work downtown, I walk past locations from The Blues Brothers, Ferris Bueller, Transformers 3, The Fugitive, The Untouchables, While You Were Sleeping, The Dark Knight, etc.

If the Joker walks a block forward, he'll be at my office's front door.
Old 04-18-12, 11:31 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

when I was in Prague my friend and I quite by accident stumbled into the park where the outdoor orchestra garden scene from Amadeus was filmed

~

also been to the Filoli Estate (Woodside, California) where:

Heaven Can Wait
Shadow of Doubt
Dying Young
Joy Luck Club
Lolita
The Game
George of the Jungle
What Dreams May Come
Stigmata
Wedding Planner
Rent

were filmed.

~

my church appeared in 'Wedding Crashers'

~

the beach at St. Andrew's Scotland: Chariots of Fire
Old 04-19-12, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

session 9. It's a closed down(for the most part) supposedly haunted mental hospital in Danvers, MA. We used to trespass and play basketball on the court they had there in my late teens/early 20s. Wandered the halls once, nothing to report.

The good son. The Macauly Culkin flick. Ive been near the place in Rockport, MA where the mom drops him off the rocks.

Some Tarzan flick from the 1950s filmed at Silver Springs Park in Florida. They still have sunken items from the movie in the springs.

Grown ups. The "I want to get chocolate wasted" scene was filmed at Woodman's restaurant in Essex, MA. Been there dozens of times.

Mrs. Winterbourne. Shirley Mcclaine, Brendan Frasier and probably the biggest name at the time Ricki Lake. I was a shift supervisor at Burger King at the time around 19-20 years old and they(not the actors) stopped at our restaurant and ordered like 60 breakfast sandwiches.

There's probably dozens of other places Ive been where movies have been filmed. Fenway park etc.
Old 04-19-12, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by jfoobar
Did you...you know...have sex in that position and ask a friend to walk in on you?

I did visit several of the wineries that were used for scenes in Sideways, as well as the "The Hitching Post". We were going to eat there but it was crowded, and they gave seating preferences to locals so we left.
Nah, but my wife got mad and hit me with a motorcycle helmet

We went by The Hitching Post also, then walked around Solvang. Looking through our photos later on we saw that we had eaten lunch in one of the restaurants used in the film as well.
Old 04-19-12, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

We stayed at the hotel from the movie Cedar Rapids for my sis-in-law's wedding. FWIW, the hotel is in Ann Arbor, MI.

My other sis-in-law lives in Chicago, and saw much of the filming of Transformers 3.
Old 04-19-12, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Martha's Vineyard every summer. The location for Jaws.

The opening scenes of Transformers 2 was shot in the old steel plant in my town. It was quite the extravaganza having a Michael Bay production going on.

Mohonk Mountain House - the location used in The Road to Wellville. Creepy place but awesome.
Old 04-19-12, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 328 Likes on 247 Posts

I think this beats all of them:
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-xtijHCHnXY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Greatest movie filmed in Sacramento, if not the greatest movie ever filmed period.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/fBO4dcg4TC4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/U_sqeG7OyBA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 04-19-12, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

I'm taking a short trip to Port Angeles, WA today and drove by the Tides Inn, where the motel scenes in An Officer and a Gentlemen were filmed. Not staying there, though, as I hear it's kinda dive-y.
Old 04-19-12, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Pretty much every movie filmed on location in the Columbus, GA/Fort Benning area. Lots of war/military movies.