Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

LA Weekly: "Movie Studios Are Forcing Hollywood to Abandon 35mm Film."

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

LA Weekly: "Movie Studios Are Forcing Hollywood to Abandon 35mm Film."

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-12, 09:59 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: LA Weekly: "Movie Studios Are Forcing Hollywood to Abandon 35mm Film."

Supposedly the laser system will allow them to fill the large-size screens, but if we're just talking about 4k (or two 4k's) then it still won't look great.
Old 04-16-12, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Supposedly the laser system will allow them to fill the large-size screens, but if we're just talking about 4k (or two 4k's) then it still won't look great.
I've only seen two films that I personally know were projected in 4K. Kick-Ass and The Social Network.

Kick-Ass was during a special occasion during ShoWest where they converted the Paris Theatre, which holds up to 1500 people, into a gigantic movie theater. You know what? It looked awesome. I don't know what projectors they used or how large the screen was (it was big), but 4K projection could look spectacular.

I'm still skeptical if even 2 4K projectors will compare to 70mm IMAX, but we will see.
Old 04-17-12, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I know this is going to majorly hurt one of my favorite theaters, the New Beverly in Hollywood. Nothing compares to seeing classics in 35mm with a packed house, and replacing those prints with digital will lose a lot of the charm that comes with seeing those vintage films. I wonder how they'll react given that QT owns the property.
Old 04-17-12, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
I know this is going to majorly hurt one of my favorite theaters, the New Beverly in Hollywood. Nothing compares to seeing classics in 35mm with a packed house, and replacing those prints with digital will lose a lot of the charm that comes with seeing those vintage films. I wonder how they'll react given that QT owns the property.
If you read closely in that article, New Beverly does have a digital projector. I doubt QT follows their day-to-day operations. Unless he's programming for the night or week then he leaves to management.

I love that theater, btw.
Old 04-17-12, 03:42 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
I've only seen two films that I personally know were projected in 4K. Kick-Ass and The Social Network.

Kick-Ass was during a special occasion during ShoWest where they converted the Paris Theatre, which holds up to 1500 people, into a gigantic movie theater. You know what? It looked awesome. I don't know what projectors they used or how large the screen was (it was big), but 4K projection could look spectacular.

I'm still skeptical if even 2 4K projectors will compare to 70mm IMAX, but we will see.
I've seen three 4k presentations, Sunshine and restorations of Dr. Strangelove and Blade Runner. Dr. Strangelove was indistinguishable from 35mm. Blade Runner looked almost as good. I think Sunshine was a 2k file being played on a 4k because it didn't look great.

I think 4k can look very good. It can't look 70mm IMAX good, though.
Old 04-17-12, 03:44 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

interestingly quite a few movies at this year's TCM Classic Film Festival were digital projection.

TCM Classic Film Festival: Films

the Landmark theater chain has been the one hold out in keeping the digital conversion at bay - supposedly the Washington DC theaters: E Street and Bethesda were rumoured to get converted this spring - yet I have not seen any further claims or news regarding this.
Old 04-25-12, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Only to update the thread based upon past discussion:

Originally Posted by Deadline Hollywood
Today’s the day when tech companies — especially in projection and audio — will make their big sales pitches to theater owners at their annual convention in Las Vegas. But one of the more intriguing developments in the industry is taking place in a private screening room in LA: Last week IMAX began showing execs from Sony, Paramount, Warner Bros, CAA and overseas movie chains a prototype of its new laser projection technology, incorporating the patents that it bought last year from Kodak. IMAX execs say that the process, which sends digital images through two 4K projectors, offers a much brighter picture than conventional IMAX print and digital projectors do, and with richer color saturation — including ultra dark blacks. That’s a big deal for IMAX: It’s trying to appeal to fanboys by scheduling lots of dark and brooding action films including Warner Bros’ upcoming The Dark Knight and Fox’s Prometheus. Unlike projectors that use bulbs, images from the laser technology don’t fade at the far reaches of the frame — and don’t dim over time. As a result, “we can now build screens that are larger than any screens that exist in the world,” says Greg Foster, president of filmed entertainment for IMAX. CEO Rich Gelfond adds that new process, to be rolled out beginning in late 2013, “is going to usher in the age of laser technology in a broader way.” IMAX is already looking at building screens that are about twice as wide as the 70-foot wide ones it frequently uses for digital projectors. With today’s technology the images become too dim on screens larger than that. That’s been a problem for IMAX; it has had to keep using conventional prints at its screens that run larger than 70 feet. Since ordinary IMAX film prints can cost as much as $50,000 apiece — as opposed to $175 for a digital print — it has been uneconomical for the chain to frequently swap films in and out of some of its biggest theaters.
Old 04-25-12, 06:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On a different note, I don't understand the title of the article. "Hollywood" is either a name for a non-existent town, or slang for the conglomerate of movie studios that aren't even in LA anymore.

Going with the commonly accepted second usage the article's name would be, "Movie Studios Are Forcing Movie Studios to Abandon 35mm Film." Or I guess it could be, "Movie Studios Are Forcing Residents of the Hollywood Section of Los Angeles to Abandon 35mm Film."
Old 04-26-12, 11:51 AM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

"Movie studios" are movie stuidos. "Hollywood" is the people who work in the industry (even if they don't live in Hollywood). Hollywood is a neighborhood of Los Angeles. It's not a distinct city (like Beverly Hills) but it is a place, like Brentwood, Westwood, Bel Aire, etc. There's also a North Hollywood and a West Hollywood (which IS it's own city). Crazy.
Old 04-26-12, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mabuse
also a North Hollywood and a West Hollywood (which IS it's own city). Crazy.
If I had an unlimited amount of money, I'd live in West Hollywood as the gays keep it in tip-top shape compared to the rest of Los Angeles.
Old 04-26-12, 12:03 PM

Michael Bay, Bryan Singer, Jon Favreau, Eli Roth, Duncan Jones, Stephen Daldry.
Wow, thats like a who's who of utterly mediocre and disposable directors.

No surprise these are the people that are on Nolan's side. Hacks attract other hacks I suppose.
Old 04-26-12, 12:30 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That article doesn't mention they are on Nolan's side. Also you forgot to mention Wright. Where'd you get that they were on his side?

Singer used the Red EPIC, digital camera, for Jack The Giant Killer. Bay has used digital as well for TF3, part of it was still 35mm. Jones also has worked w/ Digital. Daldry used an Arri Alexa for Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close. Not sure on Faverau or Wright, I'd swear it was 35mm for the both of them on their last films. So if anything some of these people would be the progression in not being on Nolan's side.

Looks like someone's got some blind hate.
Old 04-26-12, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Pardon my complete ignorance on this topic, but can you all (or most people) tell the difference between watching movies that are film vs. digital? Personally, I could never tell / never noticed any difference up until reading this article a couple weeks ago. Only exception is the obvious difference of watching movies filmed in IMAX (i.e. Dark Knight action scenes) in the actual IMAX theater because the whole screen fills up, which looks amazing obviously. For watching at home though or normal non-IMAX screen, I don't really notice the difference.
Old 04-26-12, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

Plus people "on Nolan's side" would include Tarantino and Spielberg.
Old 04-26-12, 01:29 PM
Banned

Talking about those two. Has Nolan ever met them? Or has any one of them met each other? You'd think w/ this coming they'd want to meet up and talk at some point.

I can't imagine Tarantino and Nolan in a room together. Spielberg would be a great in between for the both of them.

Last edited by Solid Snake; 04-26-12 at 01:40 PM.
Old 04-26-12, 01:53 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by gp1086
Pardon my complete ignorance on this topic, but can you all (or most people) tell the difference between watching movies that are film vs. digital? Personally, I could never tell / never noticed any difference up until reading this article a couple weeks ago. Only exception is the obvious difference of watching movies filmed in IMAX (i.e. Dark Knight action scenes) in the actual IMAX theater because the whole screen fills up, which looks amazing obviously. For watching at home though or normal non-IMAX screen, I don't really notice the difference.
With early digital features I (and most people) could definately tell the difference. A film like Colatoral is obviously video and looks very different than film. Nowadays it's getting very hard to tell. Social Network and Girl w/ Dragon Tatoo are hard to tell it's video. A good way to tell is if nighttime or indoor dark scenes are underlit and yet still look sharp and have deep focus. 35 mm can't do that. Other than that I really can't tell and have been fooled a few times.

I actually prefer the look of early video (like Colatoral), when it was used to give a movie a look that was discernably different. Today's video is TRYING to look just like 35 mm. If you want to look just like 35 then use 35.
Old 04-26-12, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Talking about those two. Has Nolan ever met them? Or has any one of them met each other? You'd think w/ this coming they'd want to meet up and talk at some point.

I can't imagine Tarantino and Nolan in a room together. Spielberg would be a great in between for the both of them.
I don't know about any of them meeting, but there was a director's roundtable with Bigelow, Cameron, Tarantino, the dude who directed Precious and Reitman. Tarantino and Cameron were of course on opposite ends of the spectrum when it came to digital vs. film. It was all friendly, but cool to see those two together.
Old 04-26-12, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I've seen three 4k presentations, Sunshine and restorations of Dr. Strangelove and Blade Runner. Dr. Strangelove was indistinguishable from 35mm. Blade Runner looked almost as good. I think Sunshine was a 2k file being played on a 4k because it didn't look great.

I think 4k can look very good. It can't look 70mm IMAX good, though.
Probably because it's a modern DI production and only finished in 2K, like way too many films produced in the 00's.
Old 04-27-12, 12:15 AM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by gp1086
There are ways to tell if a movie is shown in digital or film. Digital will have pixels, although with modern projectors you'd have to get into the first rows to notice them (if the projectors are correctly calibrated and maintained). Also, there's no jitter in the image and there will never be any scratches.

Film does have jitter, and can have scratches and/or dirt.
Old 04-27-12, 05:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by bluetoast
I don't know about any of them meeting, but there was a director's roundtable with Bigelow, Cameron, Tarantino, the dude who directed Precious and Reitman. Tarantino and Cameron were of course on opposite ends of the spectrum when it came to digital vs. film. It was all friendly, but cool to see those two together.
I remember it. And I enjoyed it a lot as well. Tarantino twitched a bit w/ Cameron kept saying that film would be gone and etc.