Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Mummy -- REBOOT (2017, D: Kurtzman) - S: Cruise, Boutella -- Dark Universe

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Mummy -- REBOOT (2017, D: Kurtzman) - S: Cruise, Boutella -- Dark Universe

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-14, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts
Re: Universal rebooting "The Mummy"

Old 05-08-14, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jory
I still fail to understand why that one little moment is the cause of so much venom-spewing hatred by so many people, but it's on YouTube, so you can see for yourself without having to watch the whole movie.
Nobody ever says "Gee, I hate Mummy Returns because that pygmy rides the falling log Dr. Strangelove style". They are the same type of throwaway gag bits.
Old 05-08-14, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UAIOE
Nobody ever says "Gee, I hate Mummy Returns because that pygmy rides the falling log Dr. Strangelove style". They are the same type of throwaway gag bits.
Precisely. And even if it was as bad as people make it out to be, it's two seconds in a 100-minute movie that's filled with a lot of ridiculous shit.

The way that people sometimes zero in on the tiniest things with laser precision never ceases to amaze me. I've recently been making posts in defense of Alien vs. Predator, which I know a whole lot of movie nerds hated. I can understand people not liking the movie if they thought the acting, writing, and directing were poor. Fine. But those aren't the reasons I commonly hear cited for why people hated the movie. The #1 reason? The incubation time for the aliens is shorter than it was in previous Alien movies. It went from hours to minutes. Amazing as it seems, that's apparently a Huge Fucking Deal for a lot of folks.

I don't get it, and I never will.
Old 05-08-14, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 741 Likes on 366 Posts

I hate Mummy Returns
Old 05-08-14, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
I wonder how many pitches in Hollywood use the words "grounded" and "darker" right now.
And let's not forget "grittier"
Old 05-08-14, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
I hate Mummy Returns
Do you not like the movie as a whole, or simply because a lone pygmy pulled a Dr. Strangelove?
Old 05-08-14, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Precisely. And even if it was as bad as people make it out to be, it's two seconds in a 100-minute movie that's filled with a lot of ridiculous shit.

The way that people sometimes zero in on the tiniest things with laser precision never ceases to amaze me. I've recently been making posts in defense of Alien vs. Predator, which I know a whole lot of movie nerds hated. I can understand people not liking the movie if they thought the acting, writing, and directing were poor. Fine. But those aren't the reasons I commonly hear cited for why people hated the movie. The #1 reason? The incubation time for the aliens is shorter than it was in previous Alien movies. It went from hours to minutes. Amazing as it seems, that's apparently a Huge Fucking Deal for a lot of folks.

I'm one of the few people that doesn't hate AVP Requiem. Why? The violence and make-up/creature effects lock it in for me even if the story sucks. It's that simple. I'm also one of the few Paul WS Anderson fans here, too. He's a great big budget B-movie director.
Old 05-09-14, 09:26 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

I enjoyed the first 3 Mummy movies for what they were to me: escapist fun. I see no reason whatsover to redo these. This project can only be a cash grab by the studio(s), unless they turn out some outstanding cinematic entertainment (which I seriously doubt) they can bite me.
Old 05-09-14, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't know, is rebooting The Mummy really a cash grab when it's based off a character/concept that's been around for decades?
Old 05-09-14, 09:37 AM
RIP

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

I just saw AVP for the first time, and thought it was really solid. Might even be the third best Alien movie.
Old 05-09-14, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by EddieMoney
I just saw AVP for the first time, and thought it was really solid. Might even be the third best Alien movie.

I think what soured some folks on AVP initially was that it was rated PG-13 then released as R rated for DVD and Blu-ray. AVP: Requiem tries to correct that with an initial R-rating right out of the gate but the story sucked.
Old 05-09-14, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by EddieMoney
It's funny, James Cameron went around badmouthing AVP, saying that Fox was ruining the series by going that route. But then he actually saw the movie, and told an interviewer that he loved it and thought it was the third best Alien film. I agree with him, and I've heard from several other people who hated the movie before even watching it but were pleasantly surprised once they did.

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
I think what soured some folks on AVP initially was that it was rated PG-13 then released as R rated for DVD and Blu-ray. AVP: Requiem tries to correct that with an initial R-rating right out of the gate but the story sucked.
It's all about context, and in the context of the film, I didn't mind the PG-13 at all. It didn't feel like Live Free or Die Hard to me, where they shot an R-rated movie but edited out a whole lot to get a lower rating. Even in the theatrical version, AVP is far more violent and bloody then the original Alien and probably even Aliens, but since the majority of the violence is directed toward alien creatures who spew green blood instead of red, the MPAA went easy on them. The unrated cut I watched recently didn't add much violence, since there probably wasn't much to add; I only noticed one new digital blood splatter. Most of the alterations are added character scenes.

As for AVP2, I guess I would have enjoyed the graphic violence more if (A) it had been shot an edited in a competent way, allowing me to actually see some of it, and (B) it hadn't been so gratuitous. It feels like they're overcompensating for the PG-13 of the first movie, and just throwing in horrific violence for the sake of horrific violence to appease the gore-hounds. "Hey look, children being murdered! Pregnant women being murdered! Faces getting melted off! Yay, violence!" Couple that with the fact that the story is worthless, the action scenes aren't even 10% as creative as the ones in AVP, and there isn't a single character who isn't an insufferable jerkoff, and you've got a movie that's far worse than the first one.

The second one did have nice costumes, though. Tom Woodruff and his crew always do a great job in that area. It's just too bad that I could only actually see the costumes in the behind the scenes videos on the Blu-ray and not in the movie itself. The movie is so dark and shot and edited so poorly that it's impossible to even know what the hell you're looking at half the time.
Old 05-09-14, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Never saw the third film, but after reading that the Sasquatches make the football touchdown gesture, I'm glad I didn't, you know, because these monsters watch football and such.

/facepalm
And sasquatches and undead mummies actually exist.

But, yes, a tad silly wih the football gesture but the movie was set up like a living cartoon, for better or for worse.
Old 05-09-14, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

This is so bad. I am not even going to watch this. Its not related to Universal. Its made by Halcyon International Pictures.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Ce5vpksVo1o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by Match; 05-09-14 at 08:48 PM.
Old 05-09-14, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
It's in the Redbox at work. Must admit, I'm not interested at all.
Old 05-10-14, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Match
This is so bad. I am not even going to watch this. Its not related to Universal. Its made by Halcyon International Pictures.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Ce5vpksVo1o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
It doesn't look great and doesn't look awful. It just looks like every other movie, ever.

It's sad that we haven't gotten a really good mummy movie since, jeez... 1959? As much as I enjoy and will defend the Brendan Fraser movies, they're really more like Indiana Jones than traditional mummy films. The only mummy film I've seen in recent years that was even halfway interesting was Tale of the Mummy, which I think I mentioned in this topic a while back. It was directed by Russell Mulcahy (Highlander, Resident Evil: Extinction) and had Christopher Lee in a tiny role. It's your typical late-90s horror film trash, but the fact that the mummy attacked people using his bandages like tentacles made it just a smidge more creative than your regular mummy tale.

It's too bad the filmmakers behind Dracula 2000 didn't keep going with revisionist Frankenstein and Mummy films, because theirs was the first truly creative take on Dracula in decades. Instead of the usual "Dracula is really Vlad the Impaler" crap, here we learn...

Spoiler:
...that Dracula is actually Judas Iscariot. It explains his hatred of Christian imagery and aversion to silver, because of the 30 pieces of silver he was paid to betray his friend. He tried to commit suicide out of shame but couldn't; his punishment was immortality. He can end his curse at any time by asking forgiveness, but refuses to do so. Since his betrayal of Christ was all part of God's plan, Judas felt he had a legitimate grievance with Him, and took his revenge by preying on God's children; this was the birth of vampirism.

Better than what Francis Ford Coppola gave us, no?

Even the more recent Dracula adaptations have gone back to the tired old "Mina is Dracula's lost love reincarnated" plot device, like the NBC TV series with Jonathan Rhys Meyers. I wonder if the new Mummy reboot will bother serving up this story again, since Dracula movies have been stealing it and rehashing it for the past few decades.
Old 05-10-14, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just hope these newer Mummy movies don't become those older Mummy movie sequels. How many goddamn ways can you creatively name your movie while still telling essentially the same basic story? (Thanks Svengoolie!)

About AVP: How is Lance Henriksen considered the 2nd person to be killed by Alien/Terminator/Predator? I heard a Predator "offed" him in AVP, but Bishop was neither human, nor "dead" at the end of "Aliens".
Old 05-10-14, 03:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just hope these newer Mummy movies don't become those older Mummy movie sequels. How many goddamn ways can you creatively name your movie while still telling essentially the same basic story? (Thanks Svengoolie!)
It's like the Return of..., Revenge of..., and Curse of... titling scheme that affected both the Pink Panther and Halloween movies. Some of the Mummy titles seem truly random and make no sense at all. How is the mummy's hand significant in The Mummy's Hand? It could apply to any film in the series. So could titles like The Mummy's Tomb and The Mummy's Curse. I don't think horror films, monster movies in particular, started getting really good and story-specific titles until Hammer came along. Titles like Taste the Blood of Dracula and The Satanic Rites of Dracula not only sound bad-ass, they actually relate to the plots of those films.

About AVP: How is Lance Henriksen considered the 2nd person to be killed by Alien/Terminator/Predator? I heard a Predator "offed" him in AVP, but Bishop was neither human, nor "dead" at the end of "Aliens".
I think it's one of those things where people really stretch to make some little piece of trivia sound interesting. It's like pointing out that only two of the actors who have played James Bond have been English. It's a statement that requires a little asterisk next to it, explaining that three of the others were at least British. Saying that Lance is the second person to have been "maimed horribly" by an Alien, Predator, and Terminator doesn't sound as good.
Old 05-10-14, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Ha, Bill Paxton was killed by a Terminator, too. I forgot about that.

I forgot about Lance but remember the fanboys going wild at "Hudson" getting dispatched by an Alien and a Predator in their respective movies.
Old 05-10-14, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

It doesn't look great and doesn't look awful. It just looks like every other movie, ever.

It's sad that we haven't gotten a really good mummy movie since, jeez... 1959? As much as I enjoy and will defend the Brendan Fraser movies, they're really more like Indiana Jones than traditional mummy films. The only mummy film I've seen in recent years that was even halfway interesting was Tale of the Mummy, which I think I mentioned in this topic a while back. It was directed by Russell Mulcahy (Highlander, Resident Evil: Extinction) and had Christopher Lee in a tiny role. It's your typical late-90s horror film trash, but the fact that the mummy attacked people using his bandages like tentacles made it just a smidge more creative than your regular mummy tale.

It's too bad the filmmakers behind Dracula 2000 didn't keep going with revisionist Frankenstein and Mummy films, because theirs was the first truly creative take on Dracula in decades. Instead of the usual "Dracula is really Vlad the Impaler" crap, here we learn...

Spoiler:
...that Dracula is actually Judas Iscariot. It explains his hatred of Christian imagery and aversion to silver, because of the 30 pieces of silver he was paid to betray his friend. He tried to commit suicide out of shame but couldn't; his punishment was immortality. He can end his curse at any time by asking forgiveness, but refuses to do so. Since his betrayal of Christ was all part of God's plan, Judas felt he had a legitimate grievance with Him, and took his revenge by preying on God's children; this was the birth of vampirism.

Better than what Francis Ford Coppola gave us, no?

Even the more recent Dracula adaptations have gone back to the tired old "Mina is Dracula's lost love reincarnated" plot device, like the NBC TV series with Jonathan Rhys Meyers. I wonder if the new Mummy reboot will bother serving up this story again, since Dracula movies have been stealing it and rehashing it for the past few decades.
I'm glad to see some love for the underrated Dracula 2000.
Old 05-10-14, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

http://collider.com/the-mummy-andres-muschietti/

Director Andres Muschietti Departs Universal’s THE MUMMY Reboot over Creative Differences

It’s not a great day for Hollywood remakes. First, the Point Break reboot lost star Gerard Butler due to creative differences and a scheduling conflict. Now, Universal’s reboot of The Mummy has parted ways with director Andres Muschietti over creative conflicts as well. Muschietti joined the monster movie less than a year ago, after his work on the more modestly budgeted film Mama generated buzz to go along with its box office take. It seems that the studio’s original plan was to go for a darker take on the horror icon – something Muschietti was on board for – but has recently decided to go in a more family-friendly direction.

According to The Wrap, Muschietti has departed Universal’s reboot of The Mummy in an amicable split over creative differences. Director Len Wiseman, who exited the picture citing scheduling conflicts just before Muschietti joined, previously spoke about the tone of the new film, saying:

“It’s horror. Its epic. It’s more of a modern day version of what would happen if we came across a mummy in our world today. It is pretty fascinating.”

Screenwriter Jon Spaihts turned in the current version of the script, which was apparently darker and scarier than Universal wanted. Muschietti was on board with that take, but has departed due to the decision to develop more of a “four-quadrant, more family-friendly action-adventure blockbuster.” Perhaps the darker tone didn’t mesh with Universal’s plan to unite their horror icons under one mega monster movie banner. The good news for Muschietti is that he may be able to stay in house at Universal and return to the adaptation of the post-apocalyptic novel, Bird Box. The studio, however, will once again have to find another helmer to take over their monster property.

The Mummy is currently slated for an April 22, 2016 release date.
If Universal thinks making a family-friendly action-adventure blockbuster of The Mummy is a good thing. They needs to make this a darker scarier horror movie.
Old 05-10-14, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I'm glad to see some love for the underrated Dracula 2000.

That movie is a lot of fun and brought Gerard Butler into the mainstream. Also, that soundtrack was awesome. I have the Canadian Blu-ray import.
Old 05-11-14, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ha, Bill Paxton was killed by a Terminator, too. I forgot about that.
Bill Paxton is the only man who has been killed by:

Terminator
Alien
Predator
&
Pat Benatar.
Old 07-30-14, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Alex Kurtzman to Direct 'The Mummy' Reboot:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...source=twitter
Old 07-30-14, 05:41 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Interesting. Same thing applies to Orci. We'll see where they go.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.