Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Mummy -- REBOOT (2017, D: Kurtzman) - S: Cruise, Boutella -- Dark Universe

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Mummy -- REBOOT (2017, D: Kurtzman) - S: Cruise, Boutella -- Dark Universe

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-17, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts
re: The Mummy -- REBOOT (2017, D: Kurtzman) - S: Cruise, Boutella -- Dark Universe

Yeah a film like this isn't one that I go to see because of the storyline so the trailer doesn't bother me. I'm sure the basic gist of the story is the same as we've seen many times before only updated.
Old 05-19-17, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
re: The Mummy -- REBOOT (2017, D: Kurtzman) - S: Cruise, Boutella -- Dark Universe

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
New trailer. Whoever is behind it, Tom Cruise movies have some of the best stunt framing and choreography right now.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ngNLw24D3p0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The new trailer ends around 2:00.
One of my mates, Daniel Hirst, was one of the main Stuntmen on the movie. He worked with Cruise before on Edge of Tomorrow, and has been in tonnes of movies in recent years (Transformers Last Knight, Avengers: AoU, Justice League, The Dark Tower, Dredd... among others). He always seems to be in movies with good action scenes.
Old 05-19-17, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts

New trailer. Whoever is behind it, Tom Cruise movies have some of the best stunt framing and choreography right now.
Say what you will about Cruise, but he has become a must-see action star at a time in his career when many other actors would be slowing down. I suspect he draws the best in Hollywood when it comes to stunt crew/choreographers right now. The extras on Edge of Tomorrow really show how committed he is to killer on-screen action.
Old 05-19-17, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

I don't know the craft well enough to articulate what makes these scenes good. But there were moments in the last Mission Impossible movie where I was really giddy about how good the staging was. Like when they're fighting above the opera. The plane takeoff. And there were a few other moments scattered in there. I think I already posted about it in one of the MI threads.

In the case of actual action sequences... A lot of filmmakers will cheat as much as possible (there's a joke about how many cuts there were in Taken 3, showing Liam jump over a fence). There's a trend right now, where they figure out how to stick with the action, instead of cutting around. And rely less on tricks. John Wick also did that.
Old 05-19-17, 10:32 AM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

I don't know the craft well enough to articulate what makes these scenes good. But there were moments in the last Mission Impossible movie where I was really giddy about how good the staging was. Like when they're fighting above the opera. The plane takeoff. And there were a few other moments scattered in there. I think I already posted about it in one of the MI threads.
That is the reason why Rogue Nation is my favorite since the first. The action sequences are so well choreographed. There is a beautiful elegance to them in RN. The second reason... Rebecca Ferguson.
Old 05-22-17, 06:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

I watched the trailer yesterday and I'm in for this. As much as I liked the Fraser's version of the movies, I'm glad that this is going to be a horror like the original.
Old 05-22-17, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Just got my tickets for this one.
Old 05-31-17, 02:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

This kinda looks good. I'm seeing this and Wonder Woman as soon as they come out.
Old 05-31-17, 06:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 446 Likes on 252 Posts

Movie still does nothing for me. Looks like a superhero movie with Tom Cruise in place of the superhero.
Old 12-30-17, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
Tom Cruise is one of my favorite, most reliable, actors but it just seems so odd that he was cast in this. I mean, more power to Universal for landing him (and Crowe, for that matter) but this definitely seems like it should star a B or C list actor like Colin Farrell or Adrien Brody...maybe Vin Diesel.
Honestly, if Cruise wasn't cast in this I wouldn't have given it a second look. That was a 'fool me once' decision. The movie was a huge turd imo, unwatchable. Cruise is so much better than this film.