Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Easter Box Office Weekend (4/5 - 4/9): James Cameron Now More Popular Than Jesus

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Easter Box Office Weekend (4/5 - 4/9): James Cameron Now More Popular Than Jesus

Old 04-08-12, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Easter Box Office Weekend (4/5 - 4/9): James Cameron Now More Popular Than Jesus

So even with IMAX screenings, Titanic performed about the same as The Phantom Menace. Interesting. $25,710,000 since Wednesday. It will be interesting to see what the international gross for this will be since, aside from The Phantom Menace, the other 3D re-releases have all tanked overseas.
Old 04-08-12, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Easter Box Office Weekend (4/5 - 4/9): James Cameron Now More Popular Than Jesus

I can't imagine it making much more. Whoever wanted to see it probably already did. I don't see this having legs at all.
Old 04-08-12, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,310 Likes on 954 Posts

I would think with the nice weather and some schools letting out early, lots of families might be traveling for the holiday. Before it's written off, might wait until next weekend's tally. There's really no big movie opening (biggest screen count is for The Three Stooges) to compete with it. It has a chance to do quite well.
Old 04-08-12, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 332 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by LosingMyMind
So even with IMAX screenings, Titanic performed about the same as The Phantom Menace. Interesting. $25,710,000 since Wednesday. It will be interesting to see what the international gross for this will be since, aside from The Phantom Menace, the other 3D re-releases have all tanked overseas.
Technically, it performed better than Phantom, since it could only book half as many showings per day. But I understand what you meant.
Old 04-08-12, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 04-08-12, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,210 Likes on 930 Posts

Poor American Reunion. Titanic ate up a nice chunk of change.
Old 04-08-12, 02:41 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

For a movie with a $50 million budget, I'd think a $20 million opening would be just fine.
Old 04-08-12, 02:42 PM
Suspended

My favorite quote about American Reunion is "You know when bands like The Eagles or Guns N Roses need money so they reunite for what they call a farewell tour? Thats like what American Reunion is."
Old 04-08-12, 02:48 PM
Banned by request

Except American Reunion isn't expecting you to pay $50-$500 for a ticket.
Old 04-08-12, 02:52 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

looking off of BOM. Looks like John Carter made it's budget. It's got $263 million worldwide...which is rather sad for the price tag it had. I loved it. Let's hope we get Ghosts of Mars for sure.

Considering i'm not well versed on how how good smaller films making their buck w/ the few screens they got so far. By looking at The Raid...how's it holding up? Looks pretty good to me considering the still growing number of theaters releasing it here and there.

Last edited by Solid Snake; 04-08-12 at 02:59 PM.
Old 04-08-12, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
looking off of BOM. Looks like John Carter made it's budget. It's got $263 million worldwide...which is rather sad for the price tag it had. I loved it. Let's hope we get Ghosts of Mars for sure.
It will never get a sequel. It made $263 million worldwide, but Disney only sees about 50-60% (if not a bit more) at the end of the day. You also still have to consider how much Disney spent on prints and advertising.

Disney saying they lost over $200 million on the film sounds about right.
Old 04-08-12, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 214 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
It will never get a sequel. It made $263 million worldwide, but Disney only sees about 50-60% (if not a bit more) at the end of the day. You also still have to consider how much Disney spent on prints and advertising.

Disney saying they lost over $200 million on the film sounds about right.
That in mind, do you think Disney will make another Pirates movie, considering the last one made over a billion worldwide but only $220 million came from the US? If John Carter, through some weird circumstances, made $ 1.5 billion worldwide but its domestic gross stayed what it was, would we then get a sequel?

Cool to see Hunger Games hanging in there so well. I wonder if it might remain #1 next weekend? When was the last time a movie held the top spot for more than three weekends?
Old 04-08-12, 06:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
That in mind, do you think Disney will make another Pirates movie, considering the last one made over a billion worldwide but only $220 million came from the US? If John Carter, through some weird circumstances, made $ 1.5 billion worldwide but its domestic gross stayed what it was, would we then get a sequel?
Of course John Carter would get a sequel if it made $1.5 billion worldwide... But it's not going to. (The only territory it has left to open in is Japan.) Pirates will get another sequel, probably with a reduced budget.

fitprod
Old 04-08-12, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm kind of curious as to how Paramount would assess the most recent M:I movie, considering it made $600 million worldwide but only 200 came from America. There's no denying the franchise and Cruise still have drawing power, just not as much in the US.
Old 04-08-12, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm kind of curious as to how Paramount would assess the most recent M:I movie, considering it made $600 million worldwide but only 200 came from America. There's no denying the franchise and Cruise still have drawing power, just not as much in the US.
I can't see how they would be anything but happy, given that it made $75 million more domestically then part 3. I can't see how it was anything but a giant success.
Old 04-08-12, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,310 Likes on 954 Posts

Many movies do a lot better overseas than in the US. Titanic made $600 million in the US but $1.2 billion overseas. The Lion King made $100 million more overseas than in the US. The Harry Potter movies made over 2x the BO overseas than the US.

Look at the Top 10 All-Time Grossing movies worldwide and every single one had a higher BO overseas.
Old 04-08-12, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 294 Likes on 218 Posts

Originally Posted by LosingMyMind
Even in it's original release Titanic only once maybe made over $30 million for any weekend. As I recall it just kept grossing in the $20 million range domestic for many many weeks. I doubt it will have the longevity of the original, but it could gross a reasonble sume each week if it's kept in the theatre for the entire summer.
Old 04-08-12, 07:45 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by TomOpus
Many movies do a lot better overseas than in the US. Titanic made $600 million in the US but $1.2 billion overseas. The Lion King made $100 million more overseas than in the US. The Harry Potter movies made over 2x the BO overseas than the US.

Look at the Top 10 All-Time Grossing movies worldwide and every single one had a higher BO overseas.
Isn't that almost inevitable, given that "overseas" is everything not in North America? I know we spend a lot of money on movies, but you're talking about the combined grosses of every other country on earth.
Old 04-08-12, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

For the major studios like Disney, Fox, Sony and Warner; they control the rights to their films in most, if not all, territories. Worldwide grosses are studios' new bread and butter as some territories, like Russia, are having significant increases in their population going to the movies whereas North America keeps plummeting.

If a film makes $10 million on its opening weekend, the studio does not see all $10 million. The studio will see $6-7 million of that whereas the theaters will take the rest. That's why theaters prefer films with legs, because they'll see a higher percentage of the gross as time progresses.

[Depending on the film, usually a studio will command 70 - 80% of a film's first weekend gross. As weeks progress, that percentage will continue to drop. The longer a film is in theaters, the percentage will swing more towards the theater's benefit rather than the studios as they'll see the higher percentage. However, in today's age where a film will sit in most theater for maybe 3-4 weeks, that's a rarity.]

Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides was another Disney film that had a production budget of $250 million. After worldwide prints and advertising, Disney is out of pocket somewhere between $350 - 400 million.

Since the film pulled in $1 billion and theaters claim (say) 40%, Disney walked away with at least $600 million after all was said and done. From its theatrical release alone, Disney pulled in at least $200 - 250 million worth of profit. This is before video rentals and sales, before television market sales, before merchandise, etc. Disney walked away with the ability to make more sequels as there's still a demand and its still making the studio a boatload of cash.

If theaters take (again say) 40% of John Carter's gross, Disney made $160 million on it. Not enough to cover the production budget, prints, or advertising. That's why we won't get a sequel.

Also, Titanic didn't do as well as The Phantom Menace as far as the three-day weekend is concerned. The Phantom Menace did an average of $588 per showtime (in 2,655 theaters on 3,200 screens). Titanic did an average of $420 per showtime (in 2,674 theaters on 5,800 screens). Titanic also has an upper hand as its in close to 80 IMAX locations too.

Yes. Titanic is a longer film. However, at the end of the day, it had nearly double the amount of showtimes than The Phantom Menace did. While Titanic's 3D post-conversion is having stronger word-of-mouth, next week will determine how it'll ultimately do. The Phantom Menace has a 65% drop in weekend two. It'll be interesting to see where Titanic fares.
Old 04-09-12, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 284 Likes on 218 Posts

Cool to see Hunger Games hanging in there so well. I wonder if it might remain #1 next weekend? When was the last time a movie held the top spot for more than three weekends?
According to Anne Thompson's blog:
“Hunger Games” is the first film since Summit’s “The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 1” to hold the top spot for three consecutive sessions.
Last one to do more than three? They don't say.

Anyone?
Old 04-09-12, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,039 Likes on 823 Posts

Avatar was the last one to go longer than 3 weeks - it was #1 for 7 weeks in a row in late '09 early '10.

Alice in Wonderland, Shrek 4, Inception, The Help, Twilight BD Part 1 and Hunger Games all tied at 3 weeks. Granted there is a very possible chance that Hunger will get a 4th week at #1 -- its main competition (Cabin in the Woods, The Three Stooges and Lockout) will probably have sub-$20m openings, and Hunger Games will probably pull about $20m next weekend.
Old 04-09-12, 04:15 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I can't see how they would be anything but happy, given that it made $75 million more domestically then part 3. I can't see how it was anything but a giant success.
Especially since they're losing the Marvel films soon after IM3. They'll keep pumping out MI and ST as their cash cows, do they have any other franchises? None come to mind.
Old 04-09-12, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If they can keep the ST movies on schedule of course.
Old 04-09-12, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RichC2
Avatar was the last one to go longer than 3 weeks - it was #1 for 7 weeks in a row in late '09 early '10.

Alice in Wonderland, Shrek 4, Inception, The Help, Twilight BD Part 1 and Hunger Games all tied at 3 weeks. Granted there is a very possible chance that Hunger will get a 4th week at #1 -- its main competition (Cabin in the Woods, The Three Stooges and Lockout) will probably have sub-$20m openings, and Hunger Games will probably pull about $20m next weekend.
It could definitely win this weekend, and there is nothing the following week after that at all so conceivably can do 5 weeks. While it might be close, I see it do perhaps #3 the following week behind "The Raven" and "The 5 Year Engagement". If it somehow was to beat those it will not make it to 7 weeks. "The Avengers" is the following weekend.
Old 04-11-12, 11:01 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Especially since they're losing the Marvel films soon after IM3. They'll keep pumping out MI and ST as their cash cows, do they have any other franchises? None come to mind.
Transformers are Paramount, and on a smaller scale they have the Paranormal Activity films.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.