Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Oz: The Great and Powerful (2013) - D: Raimi, S: Franco, Kunis, Weisz, Braff

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Oz: The Great and Powerful (2013) - D: Raimi, S: Franco, Kunis, Weisz, Braff

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-12, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
Re: Oz: The Great and Powerful (2013) - D: Raimi, S: Franco, Kunis, Weisz, Braff

Sheesh guys...just because it has a similar LOOK to ALICE IN WONDERLAND doesn't mean it's going to be as equally bad. Different director/different method of storytelling (or in Burton's case - NO method of storytelling). I'll take Raimi and Franco over Burton and Depp any day of the week...I'll bet you this turns out to be pretty good.
Old 07-14-12, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Oz: The Great and Powerful (2013) - D: Raimi, S: Franco, Kunis, Weisz, Braff

Originally Posted by Tom Creo
at all the naysayers based off a teaser.
I'm guessing you were a naysayer of The Amazing Spider-Man after its first teaser.
Old 07-14-12, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Naw.............when it was announced I was a naysayer.
Old 07-18-12, 02:14 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vxEyTKtGTUQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/gJk2g7DE17o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 07-18-12, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Thanks for the links Solid Snake PAC.

The guy who called Mila Kunis a man is going to be hearing that for awhile

I am very excited for this movie. I think the subject matter is great for Sam's directorial style, and I cannot wait to see how it turns out.
Old 11-21-12, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, based on the trailer the performances look stiff as a board. Mila Kunis can't act. Was she really wearing skin tight spandex? Rachel Weisz can act, and she looks stiff and bland as well. Michelle Williams is decidedly "meh" in my opinion, and she doesn't look all that great either.
Old 02-10-13, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts

Actually, I think Kunis is wearing leather pants, possibly the ones she had on when she posed for the cover of Esquire.

I am going to bet

Spoiler:
they steal a bit from Wicked for this one. It appears to show Kunis and Franco kissing, and I recall reading somewhere that Kunis was playing the Witch of the West. Obviously leaked before any plot details were out there, so no one thought of it as a spoiler at the time. Weisz must be the Witch of the East, as she is Kunis' sister in this and can be seen clashing with Williams in a shot. I am guessing Kunis is either the Witch in disguise, or something happens to make her transform after things go south with Oz.
Old 02-24-13, 11:22 PM

Saw a fan screening today at Epcot center. I enjoyed the film, certainly more than Alice In Wonderland, which I found boring. As a big Sam Raimi fan, I was pleasantly surprised to find many of his signature camera touches throughout the film, especially during the tornado sequences and the depiction of the Wicked Witch (some very Evil Dead/Deadite vibes there). Someone on twitter called it Army of Darkness for kids, which isn't too far off as their plots are quite similar at times. It definatly sags in the middle, but theres some good laughs and I thought Franco did a good job. Probably would give it a 7.5
Old 02-25-13, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^ I only have one question:

Spoiler:
Does the car make an appearance?
Old 02-25-13, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
^ I only have one question:

Spoiler:
Does the car make an appearance?
I honestly was looking, but couldn't find it! I'll be curious to find out, its got to be in there somewhere.
Old 02-26-13, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've been thinking about your statement of this being an Army of Darkness for youngsters, and if that is the case, I actually have a pretty good idea about the plot (at least I think I do).

Spoiler:
Wizard= Ash, Flying Monkeys and Henchmen=Dead Army, Quest to destroy witch= plot to unleash the dead, Mila Kunis="Baby, you got real ugly" girl.
Old 02-27-13, 02:36 PM

I've been thinking about your statement of this being an Army of Darkness for youngsters, and if that is the case, I actually have a pretty good idea about the plot (at least I think I do).

Spoiler:
Wizard= Ash, Flying Monkeys and Henchmen=Dead Army, Quest to destroy witch= plot to unleash the dead, Mila Kunis="Baby, you got real ugly" girl.
Spot on!
Old 02-27-13, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fallfan
Spot on!

Spoiler:
Bruce Campbell cameo per chance? Does Franco at least say a variation on the "you got ugly" line? If so, this could be quite a blast for Raimi fans who are "getting it." I would also say there's a chance for a parallel with the AoD opening with Dorothy's home falling on the Witch of East the way the car fell on a deadite.
Old 02-28-13, 10:21 AM

Spoiler:
Bruce Campbell cameo per chance? Does Franco at least say a variation on the "you got ugly" line? If so, this could be quite a blast for Raimi fans who are "getting it." I would also say there's a chance for a parallel with the AoD opening with Dorothy's home falling on the Witch of East the way the car fell on a deadite.
Spoiler:
Bruce is there, although it isn't a surprise since he's in the opening credits (even though its really just a cameo). There is something that happens to his character fans will appreciate who have followed the "abusive" working relationship of Raimi and Campbell. The ugly line would have been awesome, but sadly doesn't happen.
Old 03-01-13, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

If you are trying to avoid spoilers for this movie and have been successful so far, avoid this weeks Entertainment Weekly like the plague since the cover is one giant spoiler. I think most people who are following the movie already knew about it since they haven't worked too hard on keeping it a secret.

Last edited by Obey The D; 03-01-13 at 01:01 PM.
Old 03-01-13, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

A few reviews have shown up on RT. Currently 57%.
Old 03-01-13, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

I'm kind of curious about this film as I generally like Raimi and The Wizard of Oz was a childhood favorite (I'm sure it was for many of us). From the previews though I get the feeling that the film is either going to be really average or really bad.
Old 03-01-13, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Obey The D
If you are trying to avoid spoilers for this movie and have been successful so far, avoid this weeks Entertainment Weekly like the plague since the cover is one giant spoiler. I think most people who are following the movie already knew about it since they haven't worked to hard on keeping it a secret.
I actually received that issue in today's mail. In the article, they actually write "The actress who ends up going green - whose identity we won't spoil -...."
I laughed my ass off after reading that because the cover image completely spoils the identity of the actress.
Old 03-01-13, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

Yeah, the cover pretty much spoils it. However, it's whom I guessed based on the trailers.
Old 03-01-13, 01:25 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Who's doing the marketing for this film, Robert Zemeckis?

That said, that spoiler was literally the FIRST THING I learned about the movie, because it was an article written when the actress was cast and it spelled out who she'd be playing.
Old 03-01-13, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

The reviews are a bit mixed so far, but the reviews that like it seem to really like it and the reviews that don't aren't overbearingly negative.
Old 03-01-13, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

For a spoilerific look at the EW cover, go here:
Spoiler:
http://popwatch.ew.com/2013/02/27/this-weeks-cover-oz-the-great-and-powerful/
Old 03-03-13, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho
Who's doing the marketing for this film, Robert Zemeckis?

That said, that spoiler was literally the FIRST THING I learned about the movie, because it was an article written when the actress was cast and it spelled out who she'd be playing.
I remember reading that as well. In fact, when I saw the first teaser I actually was thinking
Spoiler:
"isn't Mila Kunis supposed to play the Witch of the West?" Then I realized that this was apparently just a poorly kept secret. The cover doesn't list the actress who is the witch, but anyone can see that's her in make-up with a fake nose. Not to mention that she still has on the black leggings.

Saw that Danny Elfman did the music for this one, seems that he does his best work with Raimi and Burton. FWIW, I would be willing to bet that had Johnny Depp been cast as Oz before anything else was written, this would be yet another collaboration between him and Burton.

I'll also say that the reviews for Alice in Wonderland were quite meddling as well, but because it was such a huge hit, nobody cared in retrospect, and it seems the critics are forgetting they bashed that one and referring to it fondly at this point.
Old 03-03-13, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 432 Posts

Why the secret on who is playing Theodora?
Old 03-03-13, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think the whole secret will be about as big a surprise as when we discovered Senator Palpatine was actually Darth Sidious.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.