Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Spring Breakers A new film by Harmony Korine. Starring James Franco and teeny boppers

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Spring Breakers A new film by Harmony Korine. Starring James Franco and teeny boppers

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-13, 01:06 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts
Re: Spring Breakers A new film by Harmony Korine. Starring James Franco and teeny bop

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/3fuAISk6uzk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-28-13, 02:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts
Re: Spring Breakers A new film by Harmony Korine. Starring James Franco and teeny bop

^Niice
Old 03-30-13, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

3/5
Old 03-30-13, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

6/10
Old 03-30-13, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

Shit. I need to watch that Dora web series!
Old 04-01-13, 04:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The Bus
Saw this over the weekend.

The goods: This is the best-looking Harmony Korine film ever, and it is one of the better shot films I've seen in a long time. It would've been easy to try do out-Bay Michael Bay (take for example Domino or Running Scared) but it would have looked terrible. This still delivers an amped-up look while still looking fresh. Franco is great, and even the breaker leads are all serviceable (with Hudgens being my favorite).

The bad: This film is a great 40 minute film done in by endless scenes repeating over themselves, with voiceovers repeating and repeating and repeating. I understand it works as a way to destabilize you and make you feel like you are drunk or high but after an hour it is irritating and laughable. Which brings me to my next point: I can't be sure if this movie is supposed to take itself seriously or not.

An interesting film, but not one I would recommend to everyone.
I totally agree with everything you are saying. I almost felt like I was in a trance at times. The mixture of the neon colors, fast editing, and music was kind of hypnotizing. Spraaaaaaang breeeeeeaaaaaak, ya'll.
Old 04-01-13, 11:30 PM

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

Spring break.......spring breaaaaak

Movie was an entertaining train-wreck. Too unbelievable to be a working satire and just mindless otherwise.

Spring breaaaaak
Old 04-02-13, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really enjoyed it. Vanessa Hudgens really took a risk, now I like her even more. Franco was great.
Old 04-02-13, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

I think I need to see it again. I wasn't very impressed after my first viewing. But I did find myself thinking about it a couple days after having seen it. I dunno, there was something really A.D.D about it that I didn't like. James Franco was definitly the highlight.
Old 04-02-13, 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by mhg83
What's up with the Britney Spears songs? "Hit me one more time" seemed appropriate but the scene with "Everytime" was just weird.
Spoiler:
I took it as further proof of what a piece of white trash Alien truely was. I mean, he said Brittany Spears was "an angel on earth if there ever was one" Lol. He had a skewed sense of what was "classy". In his mind he was this ultimate gansta living the high life but in reality, he drove a piece of crap car and lived in a mediocre to low-end house. By contrast, his former best friend was living the true life of a drug kingpin. Exquisite house, Ferrari, etc.
Old 04-11-13, 12:28 PM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

Spring break may have come and gone, but the ripple in the pop-cultural pond produced by Harmony Korine's Spring Breakers just keeps going. HipHopDX reports that RiFF RAFF, Korine's friend and partial inspiration for James Franco's white-rapper character Alien, will appear on an upcoming episode of the soap opera "One Life to Live". He'll play a seedy Miami art dealer named-- wait for it-- Jamie Franko.
Filming reportedly happened yesterday in Stamford, Connecticut for an episode scheduled to air on Hulu on May 7, according to HipHopDX.

In a recent Pitchfork interview, Korine spoke about the whole RiFF RAFF/Alien/Franco /Dangeruss situation:

It’s such a tricky thing. That character was never based on a single person. It’s based on an amalgamation of a lot of people I knew growing up in Tennessee-- riding the school bus with white kids in cornrows who used to rap. I’m friends with RiFF RAFF, and his style is definitely in there. I originally wanted him to be in the sequence next to [Franco’s character] on stage. I was trying to put together a white-rapper posse. We sent RiFF an email, but his manager saw it too late. But Dangeruss is the person Franco spent the most time with when he went to St. Petersburg. A lot of Franco’s mannerisms and cadences-- the more regional aspects, the details-- came from Dangeruss. But there were a million influences.
Old 06-27-13, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Pretty sure this pants optional movie would have been my favorite movie if I were 13.

I will say though, it's a pretty good movie. Not in terms of plot, or really acting, or cohesiveness, or realism, but it captures that dirty strip club with no AC feeling for the full 90 minutes, is completely consistent with itself and is unlike anything I've seen. Fever dream was an accurate description.

Last edited by RichC2; 06-27-13 at 10:37 PM.
Old 06-27-13, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
HipHopDX reports that RiFF RAFF, Korine's friend
One more reason to dislike Korine.
Old 06-29-13, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Harmony Korine is such a troll.

Loved this movie.
Old 06-29-13, 02:17 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Loved it as well. Korine knows exactly what he was doing. He completely went for it and it worked like a charm.
Old 06-29-13, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i can't wait for the BLU just for the Harmony Korine commentary
Old 06-30-13, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

People try to criticize this movie, as though it were something traditional. I think it goes way over a lot of people's heads. It's a movie to be felt and experienced. To criticize the plot or characters is tough.

I think this is exhilarating film making - which brings something avant garde to mainstream audiences.

I wonder how they got Selina Gomez and Vanessa Hudgens. Did they sit down and watch Gummo and Trash Humpers before they decided to sign on?
Old 06-30-13, 12:30 AM
g
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 85 Likes on 43 Posts

The Disney stars want to change their image so they can get better roles in other movies.
Old 06-30-13, 12:47 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I love this trend of titillation films being used as covers to get people into arthouse movies. Magic Mike and now this. I hope it continues.
Old 06-30-13, 12:49 AM
Banned

This movie was fucking terrible, and I continue to wonder how Franco gets employed.
Old 06-30-13, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Troy Stiffler
People try to criticize this movie, as though it were something traditional. I think it goes way over a lot of people's heads. It's a movie to be felt and experienced. To criticize the plot or characters is tough.

I think this is exhilarating film making - which brings something avant garde to mainstream audiences.

I wonder how they got Selina Gomez and Vanessa Hudgens. Did they sit down and watch Gummo and Trash Humpers before they decided to sign on?
per an interview w Selena on Letterman, her mom was a fan of Harmony & convinced her to auditio
Old 06-30-13, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts

Gomez wasn't trying to change her image, if she was she would have taken Hudgens' role. As it is, she was the voice of reason and the good girl in the movie. I heard the same thing about her mom, not that she was a fan of Harmony in specific, but that she loved arthouse movies and pushed her daughter to do it.

I do wonder if she read the script. "James Franco's character talks about double penetration, you should take this."
Old 07-09-13, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Spoiler:
I would've liked to see her character stay until the end. Her character is meant to be the voice of reason and ends up bailing out halfway into the second act.

That's just one of the many problems I had with the screenplay of the film.
That was one of my main issues as well. The rest of the 'main' cast is pretty forgettable.
Old 07-09-13, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts

The ending completely ruins it. It was tolerable until the end.
Old 07-10-13, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RichC2
Gomez wasn't trying to change her image, if she was she would have taken Hudgens' role. As it is, she was the voice of reason and the good girl in the movie. I heard the same thing about her mom, not that she was a fan of Harmony in specific, but that she loved arthouse movies and pushed her daughter to do it.
she does have a movie coming out in the end of august w Ethan Hawke & Jon Voight, & its not a teeny bopper movie. Although she was probably cast long before Spring Breakers was even finished editing

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.