Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Lone Wolf and Cub (D: Justin Lin)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 05-23-03, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Darren Aronofsky to direct Lone Wolf and Cub

http://www.cinescape.com/0/editorial...8&obj_id=38711

Ah.. this is SO going to rock.
Now who gives a **** about The Last Samurai?
Old 05-23-03, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,734 Likes on 1,083 Posts
[coug] Road to Perdition [/cough]
Old 05-23-03, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Yeah the story does sound like Road To Perdition but I don't care, I'll see anything made by Aronofsky.
Old 05-23-03, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts
Are we gonna get to see buckets of blood? And swords through the skulls?

Last edited by Mondo Kane; 05-24-03 at 01:43 AM.
Old 05-23-03, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well Road to Perdition was inspired by Lone Wolf and Cub.

i hope they don't tone down the violence. Regardless, I'm looking forward to it.
Old 05-23-03, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This one sounds like it's got some good potential!
Old 05-23-03, 09:46 PM

Lone Wolf and Cub own RTP so hard it's not even funny. Not to mention it came out ~10 years earlier.

This is one my all time favorite series, but I have serious doubts about another live-aciton version. Especially an American produced one. I would like to hear what Aronofsky has planned, and especially if Itto will be played by an American or Japanese.
Old 05-23-03, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Awesome. Aronofsky, LW&C... I'm there. Tone down the violence? Did anybody see Requiem for a Dream (that's a rhetorical question there kiddies )? I'm confident Aronofsky won't soften it up, unless Hollywood seriously does the job on him.
Old 05-24-03, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 671 Likes on 415 Posts
Lone Wolf and Cub is just begging to be an animated series, preferably anime, to really span the broad depths of the comic, but as long as it's good I wouldn't complain.

I bristle at the thought of Aranofsky wanting to "contemporize" the saga. It doesn't need it. The original manga was a harsh but poignant look at the demise of the samurai class in Edo-era Japan. To upgrade the series to, say, 1930s Chicago or 1960s Singapore doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense to me...

The more I think of it, the happier I'd be just with the original 6 movies.
Old 05-24-03, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Matt Millheiser
Lone Wolf and Cub is just begging to be an animated series, preferably anime, to really span the broad depths of the comic, but as long as it's good I wouldn't complain.

I bristle at the thought of Aranofsky wanting to "contemporize" the saga. It doesn't need it. The original manga was a harsh but poignant look at the demise of the samurai class in Edo-era Japan. To upgrade the series to, say, 1930s Chicago or 1960s Singapore doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense to me...

The more I think of it, the happier I'd be just with the original 6 movies.
???

From the linked article...

Director Darren Aronofsky has been selected to direct the feature film version of LONE WOLF AND CUB, an adaptation of the Japanese graphic novel of the same title. The series of LONE WOLF graphic novels have been translated and published domesticalaly by Dark Horse Comics.

Aronofsky, the director of PI and REQUIEM FOR A DREAM, will oversee the development of the movie. He is knowledgable with comic books, having spent two years working on a BATMAN: YEAR ONE movie as well as a version of RONIN, based on the Frank Miller comic book, before both projects collapsed back into development hell.

The LONE WOLF series is about a 17th century samurai who now must bring is young son with him wherever he goes, since his wife has been killed. The samurai crisscrosses Japan working as a ronin, a masterless samurai, attempting to seek revenge and regain his family's honor. The characters were created by Kazuo Koike.
Where do you get this about contemporizing the story?
Old 05-24-03, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Where do you get this about contemporizing the story?
The quote is taken from AICN, which is in turn taken from Variety:
"Koike's samurai tale is expected to be contemporized by Aronofsky and his Protozoa partner Eric Watson, who'll produce." -- Michael Fleming, Variety
If Fleming's wrong, I'll eat my own face. But the thought of contemporizing LWAC sticks in my craw like a ice pick straight through the Old Grundies.
Old 05-24-03, 08:03 PM

Yes, I think he is planning on contemporizing the story. Which doesn't make much sense for several reasons.

First, because that what RTP basically was.

And second, anyone that had read the comic knows that the specific time period in Japan is a big part of the story. In fact, the character of Ogami Itto is ingrained with the setting as much as his sword or son. Changing the time period or location changes the character.

So it begs the question, why even bother remaking a film if you are just going to change everything that defines the characters and plot?

Last edited by Bruce; 05-24-03 at 08:06 PM.
Old 05-24-03, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh... AICN - well then, it must be true.
Old 05-24-03, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Urgh please... don't...
Old 05-24-03, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Okay, back from a quick search...

from Variety, which you have to register for...
Paramount and the Mutual Film Company have tapped Darren Aronofsky to develop and direct a live-action adaptation of "Lone Wolf and Cub," the Kazuo Koike-created graphic novel collection.
The 28-volume series has sold 15 million copies worldwide.

Tale revolves around a disgraced 17th century samurai who travels around Japan as an assassin for hire as he tries to clear his family's name. His companion is his 3-year-old son, whose mother has been killed. Originated in Japan, the series has been published in the U.S. by Dark Horse Comics.

Koike's samurai tale is expected to be contemporized by Aronofsky and his Protozoa partner Eric Watson, who'll produce.

After drawing critical raves with "Pi" and "Requiem for a Dream," Aronofsky developed "Batman Year One" at Warner Bros. along with "The Fountain," an epic-sized film that stalled when Brad Pitt bowed out as its star to take the Achilles role in the Wolfgang Petersen-directed "Troy."

Aronofsky's repped by CAA.
No word on why they report the contemporization is expected. It doesn't seem that this notion is coming from Aronofsky himself. It's possible that it comes from outside conjecture based on the fact that Dark Horse comics has produce a contemporary version of the comic...

from Comic Book Resources online...
We've heard this before: Variety reports that Darren Aronofsky is attached to develop and direct a live-action adaptation of a comic book. This time, the comic in question is Kazuo Koike's manga phenomena "Lone Wolf and Cub."

The movie is set up at Paramount and Mutual Film Company. Eric Watson, Aronofsky's partner at Protozoa pictures will produce.

"Lone Wolf and Cub" tells the story of a disgraced 17th century samurai who travels around Japan as an assassin for hire as he tries to clear his family's name. His companion is his 3-year-old son, whose mother has been killed.

The series has been published in the U.S. by Dark Horse Comics, who recently began publishing an American-made "re-imagining" of the concept called "Lone Wolf 2100." The comic series inspired several other comics including Marvel's "Nomad" from the mid-1990s and Max Allan Collins' graphic novel "The Road To Perdition."

For Aronofsky, this is the third comic property he's become attached to direct. Fans are aware that he and comic creator Frank Miller were developing "Batman: Year One" for Warner Bros., a project that seems to have been set aside in favor of a Chris Nolan-helmed "Batman" sequel.

The director also glommed on to Miller's DC graphic novel "Ronin" several years ago, immediately after the success of his debut effort "Pi." That movie has been languishing in development hell ever since.
Now I'm not saying it's an outright lie that the Aronofsky movie will be contemporized, I'm just saying that as of yet, there's nothing to base that on that comes from in-house. I'll wait until I hear it from Aronofsky, his producer, or Paramount before I start crying over spilt saki.
Old 05-24-03, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Krug
Urgh please... don't...
Oh yes I did!

Hey, it was a joke. Anybody who really wants to be defensive of it should understand that it was tongue in cheek. Notice the winky? Anyway, if anyone really feels a need to do so, there are a few threads where AICN's integrity and reputation are the main topics. I'd suggest doing a search and taking up the issue there. Let's retain this one for Samurai news, conjecture and discussion.
Old 05-25-03, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Mutley,

As noted in the original post, AICN isn't the source of the news. They simply reprinted the quote (and an accurate one, based on your own results as well) from Michael Fleming and Variety.

Now on to the bigger news: is Harry Knowles ever going to put up Oscar predictions ever again?
Old 05-25-03, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes - again, it was a joke. -sigh- where's the comraderie?

But seriously, whether AICN reports correctly or not, I still wouldn't stake my face on what they report. I'll, as I did above, snoop around for secondary and third and more reports before I ever rely on AICN. Sorry folks, that's just how I am.
Old 07-17-06, 08:28 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
It's been three years and I noticed on IMDB () it's dated for 2008. In a Suicide Girls interview Aronofsky said this was going to be turned into a Western...

Any news or updates on this?
Old 07-17-06, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,007 Likes on 800 Posts
Turning it into a western makes sense, in the grand tradition of the Magnificent Seven.

Damn him for not going through with Flight .

Last edited by RichC2; 07-17-06 at 08:37 AM.
Old 07-17-06, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Bruce
Lone Wolf and Cub own RTP so hard it's not even funny. Not to mention it came out ~10 years earlier.

This is one my all time favorite series, but I have serious doubts about another live-aciton version. Especially an American produced one. I would like to hear what Aronofsky has planned, and especially if Itto will be played by an American or Japanese.
Well to clarify it a bit better...the Lone Wolf and Cub series actually came out about 30 years before RTP. They were released around 1972 if memory serves me correctly. I would love to see a new version of the movies...but the originals are classics and i doubt they could ever be bettered. Just one of those things of being made by the right people at the right time. Same goes for many movies. Just imagine them trying to remake Dirty Harry. Forget about it. Also i thought that Tomisaburo who played Lone Wolf was also excellent as the Triad boss in Black Rain. He will be missed.
Old 07-17-06, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 112 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by james2025a
I would love to see a new version of the movies...but the originals are classics and i doubt they could ever be bettered.
But the originals (Particularly the last one, White Heaven in Hell) didn't have any closure to the story at all. I'm sure the new version will solve that.

And even Road to Perdition had an acceptable conclusion IMO.
Old 07-18-06, 12:49 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Lone Wolf and Cub was a manga before it was a film. I'm positive they intended to make more films after White Heaven In Hell, but lost funding. I think it was meant to be in the same vein as Zatoichi (which had, what, 28 films?), but wasn't as popular in Japan as Zatoichi was. Heck, the guy who played Ogami Itto was Shintaro Katsu's half-brother (Shintaro Katsu played Zatoichi).

So, it would make sense that the people who put together the Road To Perdition comic book would be influenced by one of the most important Japanese mangas of all time. And there are 28 volumes of the manga, totaling over 7,000 pages. I'm sure that by the end of the last manga you get the resolution that the films didn't have. It's actually fascinating to read the manga after seeing the films, as at times the filmmakers followed the manga so closely that it makes the manga look like storyboards for the film, complete with the same dialogue.
Old 03-28-12, 11:29 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well this is interesting.

via deadline.com:

EXCLUSIVE: Kamala Films has acquired film rights to the Kazuo Koike-created 1970s Japanese manga Lone Wolf and Cub, attaching David & Janet Peoples to write the script. Fast Five‘s Justin Lin had already been attached to direct. Kamala’s Marissa McMahon will produce with 1212 Entertainment’s Elizabeth Grave and Joshua Long, with Roberto Grande exec producing.

The original was set feudal Edo period, and chronicles the story of Ogami Itto, the Shogun’s elite executioner. In an attempt to take his position, the rival Yagyu clan falsely accuses Itto of a crime and murders his wife. Disgraced, Itto is forced to wander Japan with his three-year-old son Daigoro as an assassin for hire, earning the title “Lone Wolf and Cub.” Ultimately, Itto and Daigoro seek revenge on the Yagyu clan. Koike’s manga, published in the United States by Dark Horse Comics, is considered a seminal work.

The film marks the first collaboration between Kamala Films and 1212 Entertainment. Kamala is currently in development on Jeff Guinn’s Go Down Together: The True, Untold Story of Bonnie and Clyde with Furst Films, and the screen adaptation of the Curtis Sittenfeld novel American Wife with Red Crown. 1212 is producing an adaptation of the Taito video game Space Invaders.

The scribes have storied credits including Blade Runner, Unforgiven and Twelve Monkeys, while Lin is working on Universal’s sixth installment of The Fast and the Furious. “I’ve long admired the Peoples and their enduring body of work,” Lin said. “They’re a wonderful match for Lone Wolf and Cub and I’m really looking forward to collaborating with them on this powerful, epic tale.” CAA reps the writers and Lin and the helmer’s also repped by Cinetic and Sloss Eckhouse LawCo.
Old 03-28-12, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 418 Likes on 285 Posts
Re: Lone Wolf and Cub (D: Justin Lin)

Steven Seagal for Lone Wolf.

Seriously, think about it.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.