DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Who is currently the best actor in cinema? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/600148-who-currently-best-actor-cinema.html)

IstvanTheHun 03-25-12 08:15 PM

Who is currently the best actor in cinema?

Who do you think is the best actor of the current generation - not newbies, and not classics. Also, do not think "movie star" ie who is the biggest movie star or who is your favourite... think: who is THE BEST.

Dr. DVD 03-25-12 08:17 PM

Re: Who is currently the best actor in cinema?

Daniel Day Lewis, IMHO

RoadToPerdition 03-25-12 08:19 PM

DDL is definitely an all-time great. I think Leo is in the conversation. He's consistently turning in high quality work.

IstvanTheHun 03-25-12 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD (Post 11166260)
Daniel Day Lewis, IMHO

vote in the polls please!

IstvanTheHun 03-25-12 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by RoadToPerdition (Post 11166262)
DDL is definitely an all-time great. I think Leo is in the conversation. He's consistently turning in high quality work.

don't forget to vote, the poll is the point of the thread. thnx :)

Solid Snake 03-25-12 08:31 PM

DDL.

DiCaprio is nowhere near DDL level. No one is, not even Meryl Streep on her best day. He's the best living today. I'd love to see a matchup between he and Toshiro Mifune. The two are sooooooo powerful in their acting. I'd probably give the edge to Mifune too.

RoadToPerdition 03-25-12 08:33 PM

Sorry dude, your poll wasn't up when I posted. And there are way too many options there. lol

RoadToPerdition 03-25-12 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC (Post 11166278)
DDL.

DiCaprio is nowhere near DDL level. No one is, not even Meryl Streep on her best day. He's the best living today. I'd love to see a matchup between he and Toshiro Mifune. The two are sooooooo powerful in their acting. I'd probably give the edge to Mifune too.

I can't argue with you, DDL is amazing. Totally got jobbed by Brody. I think he has the Oscar on lockdown already though this year.

Solid Snake 03-25-12 08:44 PM

Yeah. Fucking Abe Lincoln. And Spielberg. Yeah...I'd love to see who 2nd best is and to see the wide as the grand canyon gap in quality.

on that poll the only people who are even close to DDL in quality is Dafoe, Oldman, Fiennes, Bale, Bardem, and Irons. Even w/ that...DDL is a whole 'nother level of amazing. Also..you're missing Neeson. He was the only person who stood his fucking ground in Gangs of NY against DDL. He and Brendan Gleeson. Everyone else due to the character or just not being a good enough actor was weak. DiCaprio was poorly miscast to stand toe to toe w/ DDL. Diaz was way out of her goddamn league against pretty much everyone in there as well.

Also...man...that'd be a badass movie. DDL w/ Dafoe, Oldman, Fiennes, Bale, Bardem, Neeson, and Jeremy fucking Irons?! Fuck. I'd love to see what the fucking story could be to handle all those guys in the same film. Hell...the same room

Hokeyboy 03-25-12 09:51 PM

Leo DiCaprio is NOWHERE NEAR this conversation. :lol:

GoldenJCJ 03-25-12 09:57 PM

No Jeff Kober? Daniel Day Lewis takes acting tips from Kober!

jmu878 03-25-12 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy (Post 11166387)
Leo DiCaprio is NOWHERE NEAR this conversation. :lol:

Why not? He certainly doesn't have the same quality output as DDL, but what he does do is always upper tier and on a consistent basis. Or in other words, while he may not have done There Will Be Blood, he did put fourth several quality performances in that same time frame to DDL's one. Pretty much the same argument I use for Bale and Pitt, although DDL still gets my vote.

PopcornTreeCt 03-25-12 10:28 PM

Daniel Day-Lewis is an easy #1.

It's harder to pick #2. I'd probably go with Christian Bale.

Lemdog 03-25-12 10:52 PM

No Tony Leung Chiu Wai?

Fist of Doom 03-25-12 11:01 PM

What, women no longer work in Hollywood? ;)

Seriously, if Kate Winslet were in the poll, I'd probably vote for her. Love her.

FRwL 03-25-12 11:15 PM

:lol: @ Jude Law in there? I mean... heck Tony Leong would have been a better replacement.

But hats off for including Nicolas Cage though so it's all fine.

Kurt D 03-25-12 11:31 PM

I-ma fling you a Geoffrey Rush. Don't really know why.

Solid Snake 03-26-12 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by jmu878 (Post 11166454)
Why not? He certainly doesn't have the same quality output as DDL, but what he does do is always upper tier and on a consistent basis. Or in other words, while he may not have done There Will Be Blood, he did put fourth several quality performances in that same time frame to DDL's one. Pretty much the same argument I use for Bale and Pitt, although DDL still gets my vote.

Yeah..well tell me when he acts better than Neeson, DDL, Bale, Hardy, and Fassbender. He's NOWHERE near DDL quality

He's a quality actor for sure..but he's no Neeson or Tony Leung...you know which one I'm talking about. Hell Maggie Cheung beats the shit out of DiCaprio w/o trying. He gets damn good roles and he's a solid as fuck actor. But...he's nowhere near DDL in quality.

TimeandTide 03-26-12 12:08 AM

Voted DDL.

But Ryan Gosling belongs on that list too. His turn in Blue Valentine (hell, even Drive) was better than anything DiCaprio has ever done.

Hokeyboy 03-26-12 12:15 AM

Originally Posted by jmu878 (Post 11166454)

From a post I wrote in another thread:

My problem with Leo (who is far from the greatest actor working today) is that whenever I'm watching him onscreen, I'm always conscious of him ACTING, instead of buying into his performance. A good actor makes you forget the artifice. Leo never makes it look effortless. Youre always reminded of just how hard he is trying. And not always succeeding.

Hazel Motes 03-26-12 12:21 AM

DDL easy. second place would be Michael Shannon who isnt listed. Greatest living actor: Kirk Douglas. Greatest living actress: Liv Ullman.

Solid Snake 03-26-12 12:22 AM

I'm going to have to agree on that w/ hokeyboy. He's a solid actor can't say negatives about him, aside from Gangs of NY.... He's solid as fuck. BUT...he's acting. He's not...the person. DDL is Abe Lincoln. He was Daniel Plainview. He doesn't act..He IS that person. De Niro was better than DiCaprio. He's a good actor, I enjoy him a lot. BUT..he's no Tony Leung, Maggie Cheung, Neeson, Irons, etc etc. He's just not that damn good. Very entertaining but let's not cloud that w/ studying his actual quality of.

Hazel Motes 03-26-12 12:26 AM

thats exactly what ruined Blood Diamond for me. Leo was just ACTING SO DAMN HARD. Same with Will Smith. Whenever he plays a serious role his acting is just so painfully noticeable.

g 03-26-12 01:28 AM

My vote is for Philip Seymour Hoffman. I'm really impressed with him.

JumpCutz 03-26-12 01:50 AM

Michael Shannon deserves a spot on that list.