DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   12-Channel Surround Sound (!!!!!!) debuts with 'Red Tails' release (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/599765-12-channel-surround-sound-debuts-red-tails-release.html)

Giles 03-11-12 11:52 PM

12-Channel Surround Sound (!!!!!!) debuts with 'Red Tails' release

"The World War II action-drama Red Tails will be released in select theaters in Barco’s Auro-3D 11.1 surround sound. Most theaters use 5.1 or 7.1 audio, which has three speakers in front, two on the side, and two in the back. 11.1 changes that up by putting up far more speakers at various heights in order to reproduce the audio dimension of height. Since Red Tails depicts intense aerial combat, it’s an ideal candidate to test out the 11.1 system. It’s important to note that while the audio system is called “Auro-3D”, it’s only creating a 3D audio mix. Visually, Red Tails will be released in 2D only."

read more here:

RED TAILS to Play in Auro-3D 11.1 Surround Sound in Select Locations

now why Barco and Datasat didn't implement the left center and right center channels of sound that have been featured in pre-1977 and 8-channel SDDS movies is a complete mystery since five front sound can create an even wider soundscape - 14-Channel sound - sure, why not?

Five additional movies mixed in 'Auro-3D' are expected in 2012

bluetoast 03-12-12 12:02 AM

Re: 12-Channel Surround Sound (!!!!!!) debuts with 'Red Tails' release

Not bad, but isn't it a little late for this? -confused-

Mr. Salty 03-12-12 12:14 AM

I would have found this interesting two months ago when the story was written and the movie was in theaters.

fitprod 03-12-12 12:20 AM

If I had known about this, I would have checked out Red Tails... I'm close to the theater in Calabasas.

fitprod

TomOpus 03-12-12 12:21 AM

It was already mentioned in the Red Tails thread on page 4... even with a shoutout to the OP of this thread :)

Red Tails thread

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal (Post 11074101)
Red Tails to play in Auro-3D 11.1 surround sound

Giles, there's a cup around here somewhere for you to fill...

Giles 03-12-12 08:46 AM

I apologize this news a tad on the late side... but I'll be better in terms of letting folks know in advance what the other 'Auro-3D' films are.

dsa_shea 03-12-12 08:43 PM

Not til they attach speakers directly to my ears and place one right between my butt cheeks will I be satisfied. Who really sat around and said "You know we really need 11 speakers."?

Sonic 03-12-12 09:49 PM

lol@ 12.1 give me a break. -rolleyes-