Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The 50 Greatest Deleted Scenes of All Time

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 03-09-12, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Here.

There's no list; just a slideshow of the choices, annoyingly enough.

Feel free to hijack this thread and post your own favorite deleted scenes.
Old 03-09-12, 07:24 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: The 50 Greatest Deleted Scenes of All Time

Some aren't deleted scenes. And some aren't that good either...by the looks of it..most weren't and are deleted for a reason. *sigh*

Last edited by Solid Snake; 03-09-12 at 07:41 PM.
Old 03-09-12, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love that Jaws clip. That's one of my favorite deleted scenes. You can never have too much Quint.

I'd never seen that Terminator 3 deleted scene and I quite enjoyed it.

Where did that Dark Knight clip come from?
Old 03-09-12, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

The Dark Knight clip, I think I remember that from the BD Live features. I guess that's why it's so windowboxed on the Youtube clip.
Old 03-09-12, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I stopped reading when I saw the lame X-Men First Class deleted scene where Xavier tricks Angel into seeing a Erik in drag.

Not sure if they listed these:
- Seeds of rebellion from Star Wars ROTS was decent.

X-Men 2 had a cut scene where Jubilee shows off a bit of her powers.

Lynch's Dune had Paul take Irulan as his wife and Chani his concubine. And the extended opening (I like both openings).
Old 03-09-12, 10:19 PM
Banned

Of recent films the #2 would be my #1. It took a long time for me to get past Jackson completely butchering Faramir, my favorite character in the book, and turning him into an asshole but that whole sequence somewhat eases the pain. It should have never been cut and on the commentary you can tell Jackson feels that way too.

On the other hand, the Mouth of Sauron scene is a fucking abomination.
Old 03-09-12, 10:21 PM
Banned

Also, why is this titled Greatest Deleted Scenes, lists Dante from Clerks getting shot, then says they're glad it was deleted? What kind of drunk fuckin monkeys compiled this shit?
Old 03-09-12, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 909 Likes on 644 Posts

It's a great because it's a drastic scene that would have completely altered the ending and tone of the film. That doesn't mean it should have been included.
Old 03-09-12, 11:35 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

no mention of the original ending of Frank Oz' version of 'Little Shop of Horrors' - when the plant goes on a rampage destroying the city - thumbs down to the writers of the list.

'Dune' - the creation and explanation of the water of life

this wouldn't fall into deleted scenes but publicity shot created for the film that everyone thinks is a deletion: the counselor at the beginning of 'Friday the 13th' having her throat slashed with a machete - even Savini doesn't remember creating the FX for that scene.

Close Encounters - the UFO and the MacDonalds sign - who knew the aliens digged fast food. Also the little bit with the men in black telling the airline passengers what they saw wasn't a UFO.

E.T - Elliott in the principle's office (Harrison Ford's cameo) and levitates in his chair.

it was shown on tv prints (I think) but the scene from 'Superman II' when the young boy ride away for help on his horse. Non throws the red light he tore earlier from the police car at the boy killing him. One of the townsfolk says that he was just a boy, and Ursa replies that he will never become a man - ouch, brutal.

best deleted scene from American theatrical version restored for the Director's cut - even though it had been scene prior in the European cut - Lily singing to the Unicorns in 'Legend'

The witch creating the poison apple in Disney's 'Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs' - that would have made me never eat an apple if I saw that as a kid.

lost forever in cinematic history but Peter Jackson somewhat did a filmed take on it, the spider pit scene from the original King Kong

the infamous 'Rape of Christ' sequence from Ken Russell's over the top 'The Devils' which was finally featured in the documentary 'Hell on Earth' - what an insane scene that would have given all the various censorboards on planet earth conniption fits, and to top it off the final scene of Sister Jeanne (Vanessa Redgrave) using
Spoiler:
the bone of Urbain Grandier as a dildo

Last edited by Giles; 03-10-12 at 12:06 AM.
Old 03-10-12, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

No CatBoon scene from The Fly?
Old 03-10-12, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,788 Likes on 1,116 Posts

@ Knocked up rant.
Old 03-10-12, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Giles
no mention of the original ending of Frank Oz' version of 'Little Shop of Horrors' - when the plant goes on a rampage destroying the city - thumbs down to the writers of the list.
This. Not only because of the history behind the scenes (like studio politics, test audiences and over five million dollars), but for the fact it's far superior to the ending that ended up in the film.

The only other deleted scene that I can think of that has such notoriety, and not surprising it wasn't on this list due to the retards who wrote it, is the Return to Krypton scene in Superman Returns.

Speaking of Superman, I'm also surprised nothing from Superman II was included in the list.
Old 03-10-12, 09:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I couldn't beat the Bridesmaids' argument. It was good, but I only got 4 minutes in.
Old 03-10-12, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought the Dursleys leaving scene in Harry Potter was pretty damn good. I can't believe they left that out.
Old 03-10-12, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,186 Likes on 2,054 Posts

That Terminator 3 scene was both awesome and terrible at the same time.
Old 03-10-12, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 211 Posts

In the original KING KONG (1933), a number of scenes were deleted when the film was re-released in 1952, including the one where Kong vigorously rubs Fay Wray and then sniffs his finger, and all those scenes where he stomped on people and put hapless natives and New York bystanders in his mouth, plus the one where he drops the brunette to her death after determining that she's not Fay Wray.

These scenes were restored in 1970.

The most famous "deleted" scene from KONG, of course, was the one where the giant spiders chomp on the fallen sailors in the pit, although there's not much evidence that this scene was ever even filmed. It's in the Peter Jackson remake and it slows down the film considerably.
Old 03-10-12, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My favorite, from Heavy Metal:
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/miar5eKG4uY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I think it would have been the best scene in the movie.
Old 03-10-12, 01:02 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
In the original KING KONG (1933), a number of scenes were deleted when the film was re-released in 1952, including the one where Kong vigorously rubs Fay Wray and then sniffs his finger, and all those scenes where he stomped on people and put hapless natives and New York bystanders in his mouth, plus the one where he drops the brunette to her death after determining that she's not Fay Wray.

These scenes were restored in 1970.

The most famous "deleted" scene from KONG, of course, was the one where the giant spiders chomp on the fallen sailors in the pit, although there's not much evidence that this scene was ever even filmed. It's in the Peter Jackson remake and it slows down the film considerably.
are those on the current BD too? I barely remember such specifics cuz I last saw it as a child on VHS, and I loved it as well, but I want to say I saw him stomping and eating people.
Old 03-10-12, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Ranger
Lynch's Dune had Paul take Irulan as his wife and Chani his concubine. And the extended opening (I like both openings).

So did Paul.
Old 03-10-12, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

There was a deleted scene from RotK that really left me scratching my head. Been years since I seen it. I think it was Gandalf confronting some beast. All I know is at the time I was wondering how the hell that got left out.
Old 03-10-12, 01:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Traxan
There was a deleted scene from RotK that really left me scratching my head. Been years since I seen it. I think it was Gandalf confronting some beast. All I know is at the time I was wondering how the hell that got left out.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIJKS_bsP6w

The scene more or less plays the same in the book, except the Witch King is on horse and Gandalf isn't made to look so defeated and helpless.
Old 03-10-12, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Yup that was it.
Old 03-10-12, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
are those on the current BD too? I barely remember such specifics cuz I last saw it as a child on VHS, and I loved it as well, but I want to say I saw him stomping and eating people.
Yes. The current BD (and prior DVD releases) are the restored version.
Old 03-10-12, 04:20 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Pizza the Hutt
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIJKS_bsP6w

The scene more or less plays the same in the book, except the Witch King is on horse and Gandalf isn't made to look so defeated and helpless.
well in the book, it's quite different than what Jackson filmed - after Grond destroys the entrance of Minas Tirith - it's the Witch King that makes his grand entrance - ultimately the rooster crowing signaling the arrival of the riders of rohan - turns the tide slightly. It's only when the Witch King attacks Theoden and the fight between him and Eowyn/Merry is he riding the winged creature - in both instances the animated Return of the King tv version were more faithful to the book than Peter Jackson's version.

in regards to deleted scenes, I've always wanted to see the scene where Eowyn is being stalked by an orc which made it into a couple of trailers for 'Two Towers'

Last edited by Giles; 03-10-12 at 04:27 PM.
Old 03-10-12, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 211 Posts

TARZAN AND HIS MATE (1934) featured a nude underwater swim by Jane (Maureen O'Sullivan) that was deleted early in (prior to?) the film's release and restored in the 1990s when AMC ran it.

A lot of pre-code films like this one, KING KONG, and SIGN OF THE CROSS were cut after the code was instituted in 1934. The more celebrated ones like these three and BABY FACE managed to get restored.

Another famous deleted sequence: the W.C Fields sequence in TALES OF MANHATTAN (1942). I have a VHS tape with it restored, but still haven't watched it.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.