Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

'Star Wars' concept artist Ralph McQuarrie has died

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

'Star Wars' concept artist Ralph McQuarrie has died

Old 03-04-12, 04:51 PM
En vacance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: 'Star Wars' concept artist Ralph McQuarrie has died

These are beautiful, anyone know what medium he used?
Old 03-04-12, 06:38 PM
Banned

Coruscant

Old 03-04-12, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by FRwL
These are beautiful, anyone know what medium he used?
I believe he started used gouache and switched to acrylics later. Gouache is a type of water color media.
Old 03-04-12, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The AICN talkback was actually civilized and interesting to read some of the posters memories of seeing McQuarrie artwork. One poster mentioned that in a making of video Doug Chiang the Episode One designer said MCQuarries art always looked "wrong" to him. Really? Anyone ever heard that before.

also, I was under the impression that McQuarrie didn't do much Episode One stuff because he was suffering from Parkinson's.
Old 03-04-12, 09:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MBoyd
also, I was under the impression that McQuarrie didn't do much Episode One stuff
He didn't. A few pieces but the main job for concept art design was given to Chiang for the Prequels. Most of the works above of Coruscant were done by McQuarrie around '81 when the planet was initially supposed to be seen in Return of the Jedi but cut by Lucas for budgetary reasons. The "lava planet" was also cut. At that stage in the script Obi-Wan and Yoda were to have returned at the end in spirit-form or possibly even beyond that to help Luke when he faced Vader in front of Palpatine.

Old 03-04-12, 11:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This news really calls for a ....

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!"
Old 03-05-12, 12:00 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Sad to hear. He was a truely great artist. Loved the look of his stuff.

The recent Making of Empire book that was published in 2010 reprinted an illustration he did for GE of a walking vehicle traveling through the snow. It was the inspiration for the AT-AT walkers. I think those walkers are the single best thing in the saga and to see its inspiration like that was awesome.
Old 03-05-12, 12:05 PM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

RIP A true visionary...
Old 03-06-12, 10:35 AM

RIP Mr. McQuarrie. He is one of my favorite artists, and I have one of my favorite pieces of his hanging in my office. I got to meet him and have it signed many years ago at a sci-fi convention. He was a very nice guy.

I also didn't realize how much other work he did. I'm glad to have found it, though the circumstances for finding it suck! His work on Battlestar Galactica was incredible.

I have many books of Star Wars art, and for the most part they are McQuarrie's work, and it is amazing! I have one that was written by Kevin J. Anderson (Star Wars novelist) with the art by McQuarrie and when I pulled it out last night to browse through it, I found that it is broken down by location, and the text is akin to journal entries by beings that were at those locations. I never realized that, as all I ever did was look at the art. My favorites are the "Art of" books. I have one for each of the original films. RoTJ was my first and is a first run. The pages started to separate from the spine almost immediately, but that never stopped me from browsing through it for hours upon hours looking at the concept art, reading the script, seeing the photos of the ships and creatures that he imagined. The other two books are reprints. These include the scripts from the movies along with tons and tons of images, most of which is McQuarrie's.

Originally Posted by Jason
I was in a Walden Books at least 10 years ago, and they had a set of McQuarrie prints in a portfolio for some insane price ($15 or so). I've kicked myself on and off ever since for not buying them.
I have the set from RoTJ and it is amazing. Mine is in horrible condition as they were pinned, glued, and taped to my walls in one way or another through most of my childhood. I need to dig through my boxes and find it again. I know in good condition they are fairly valuable, and I am so thankful that I have never cashed them in.

It might be a sad indication of what my life has been, but this loss truly hits me hard. This man and his art affected and influenced my entire childhood. I am very thankful for that. I am thankful that he had a long and fulfilling life doing something that he loved. He will, truly be missed.
Old 03-06-12, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by C-Mart
I have the set from RoTJ and it is amazing. Mine is in horrible condition as they were pinned, glued, and taped to my walls in one way or another through most of my childhood. I need to dig through my boxes and find it again. I know in good condition they are fairly valuable, and I am so thankful that I have never cashed them in.

It might be a sad indication of what my life has been, but this loss truly hits me hard. This man and his art affected and influenced my entire childhood. I am very thankful for that. I am thankful that he had a long and fulfilling life doing something that he loved. He will, truly be missed.
I too had that collection from Return. It is one of the few things from my childhood that I still have close at hand. Many of my other "treasures" are still around, but in storage. I actually kept good care of mine, and never put them on my walls, but did pull them out on many occasions, and jsut stare at them for hours.
Old 03-07-12, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by jjcool
I too had that collection from Return. It is one of the few things from my childhood that I still have close at hand. Many of my other "treasures" are still around, but in storage. I actually kept good care of mine, and never put them on my walls, but did pull them out on many occasions, and jsut stare at them for hours.
Nice. I just saw mine this morning in a clear tote in my garage. I'm definitely getting these out after work tonight. I'm thinking I might try to frame them. Sometimes I wish that I had taken better care of mine, but then I think back to all of the time spent looking at them as a kid, and I know I would never had looked at them that much if they had been put away. This is true of all of my original Star Wars stuff. I'm so glad I wasn't a "collector" back then like I am now.
Old 03-07-12, 09:45 PM
En vacance

Wish he did something for Star Trek.
Old 03-07-12, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,721 Likes on 1,878 Posts

Originally Posted by FRwL
Wish he did something for Star Trek.
http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Star..._of_the_Titans
Old 03-08-12, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by C-Mart
Nice. I just saw mine this morning in a clear tote in my garage. I'm definitely getting these out after work tonight. I'm thinking I might try to frame them. Sometimes I wish that I had taken better care of mine, but then I think back to all of the time spent looking at them as a kid, and I know I would never had looked at them that much if they had been put away. This is true of all of my original Star Wars stuff. I'm so glad I wasn't a "collector" back then like I am now.
Completely agree. If I didnt look at them as much as I did as a kid, they would be worth more now, but I wouldnt treasure them as much.
Old 03-08-12, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Pizza the Hutt

Damn, this would have been cool to see in Jedi!
Old 03-08-12, 10:16 PM
En vacance

Sweet