Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

That's My Boy (2012) (S: Sandler, Samberg. D:Anders & Morris)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-12, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Following up the masterpiece known as Jack & Jill
Old 03-01-12, 12:03 PM

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts
Re: That's My Boy (2012) (S: Sandler, Samberg. D:Anders & Morris)

Actually looks decently funny
Old 03-01-12, 12:07 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

While I chuckled at some parts, I don't think I'll see this. I'd have to hear some good word of mouth on this.
Old 03-01-12, 12:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You lost me at Sandler and Samberg.
Old 03-01-12, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You lost me at Sandler, Samberg.

You had me at Anders & Morris.

You lost me again after watching the trailer.
Old 06-05-12, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Tfh4cL50cbQ?version=3&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Tfh4cL50cbQ?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

That trailer is probably funnier than the film.
Old 06-05-12, 06:44 PM
Banned

^ The film must be a REAL crock of shit, then.
Old 06-05-12, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Samberg is awesome. Adam Sandler stopped being funny to me about a decade ago. Once I graduated high school his films stopped appealing to me.

Dan Patrick has been talking about this movie for the past 6 months on his show since he has a cameo in it. Looks alright. Typical Sandler fare.
Old 06-05-12, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

I just looked this up on IMDB to see if it had any relation to the Jerry Lewis/Dean Martin movie of the same title (1951)--it doesn't--and was astounded to see that Peggy Stewart is in this movie. She plays Grandma Dolores. She was a female B-western star in the 1940s and she was pretty awesome. She's been working since the 1930s.

Here are pictures of her from back then:

Look her up on IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0829726/

She's been working in Hollywood for 75 years!
Old 06-05-12, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by mcfly
Adam Sandler stopped being funny to me about a decade ago. Once I graduated high school his films stopped appealing to me.
Old 06-06-12, 07:51 AM

I saw this at a screening last night. Yes it is bad. Sandler is on a real roll here, although it was slightly better than Grown Ups (terrible), Just Go With It (terrible) and Jack and Jill (atrocious).

Anybody wanting to see it for Samberg, don't. He is the straight man to Sandler's comedy character. You'll be able to see all the beats in the story from a mile away, and it is typical juvenile, subtle as a sledgehammer Sandler humor. I laughed about three times. Was a full house, about half of the movie goers clapped for it at the end, so there is that.

*1/2 out of ****

I keep hoping that Sandler is just in a funk similar to the early 2000's outside of Punch Drunk Love. That had Little Nicky which I hated, Mr. Deeds which really sucked, and Eight Crazy Nights which was painful. I like Sandler, he has made a bunch of movies that I liked (Happy Gilmore, Wedding Singer, Big Daddy, Waterboy, Spanglish, Click) but his turds are spectacular. These last four movies have been really poor, I'm just glad I didn't pay for any of them. Knowing that Grown Ups 2 is coming, might be time to give up on him.

Sounds like many of you are smarter than I, since you already have haha

Forgot to add that I didn't remember that it was rated R, a lot of nudity. Unfortunately none of it was from Eva Amurri, who looked suuuuper hot here. Made me want to rewatch her Californication episodes.
Old 06-06-12, 09:24 AM

I hope Sandler and Samberg keep making movies together. It will allow me to just skip one bad movie instead of two.
Old 06-06-12, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Bummer, I actually really liked Hot Rod, kind of hoped Samberg would follow that (leading role style) with something decent enough. He was barely in Friends with Benefits and I Love You, Man.
Old 06-06-12, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 422 Likes on 305 Posts

I will go see it, but its probably going to get killed next week from Rock of Ages. Adam Sandler hasnt done anything R rated with the exception of Punch Drunk Love and Funny People since 90s.
Old 06-06-12, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by sharkstank
I saw this at a screening last night. Yes it is bad. Sandler is on a real roll here, although it was slightly better than Grown Ups (terrible), Just Go With It (terrible) and Jack and Jill (atrocious).

Anybody wanting to see it for Samberg, don't. He is the straight man to Sandler's comedy character. You'll be able to see all the beats in the story from a mile away, and it is typical juvenile, subtle as a sledgehammer Sandler humor. I laughed about three times. Was a full house, about half of the movie goers clapped for it at the end, so there is that.

*1/2 out of ****

I keep hoping that Sandler is just in a funk similar to the early 2000's outside of Punch Drunk Love. That had Little Nicky which I hated, Mr. Deeds which really sucked, and Eight Crazy Nights which was painful. I like Sandler, he has made a bunch of movies that I liked (Happy Gilmore, Wedding Singer, Big Daddy, Waterboy, Spanglish, Click) but his turds are spectacular. These last four movies have been really poor, I'm just glad I didn't pay for any of them. Knowing that Grown Ups 2 is coming, might be time to give up on him.

Sounds like many of you are smarter than I, since you already have haha

Forgot to add that I didn't remember that it was rated R, a lot of nudity. Unfortunately none of it was from Eva Amurri, who looked suuuuper hot here. Made me want to rewatch her Californication episodes.
I saw a screening last night, and I COMPLETELY disagree with your assessment. My buddy and I went into it with absolutely no expectations of it being funny, and we were both blown away by how funny it was. Easily Sandler's funniest effort in years (which isn't saying much, but still.) The crowd loved this movie, and the packed theater was laughing non-stop.

I will admit up front that I am a bit of a Sandler apologist, but my friend is not, and he thought it was even funnier than I did.

It has some of the somewhat corny elements when it comes to the story that many Sandler movies suffer from. But none of those elements relate to the humor, in my opinion.

And in a surprising turn, Vanilla Ice (who had a fairly prominent role) was hysterical!

I was extremely impressed and surprised by this movie. There were A LOT of great laughs, and even if I had had to pay for my ticket instead of going for free, I would have left the theater feeling satisfied. I'd put it just behind "21 Jump Street" (but very close) in terms of how much I enjoyed it as a comedy.

It's the hard R comedy I've been waiting years for Sandler to make, and it doesn't disappoint. I recommend it highly.
Old 06-06-12, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i was surprised to see it was Rated R. So this is Sandler doing a pure hard R movie i take it
Old 06-07-12, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The trailers of this are unbelievable. Sandler, aside from a film or two, has never really been funny, but this looks like it's a concerted attempt to be unfunny at every turn.

It reads like a satire of a malformed vanity run amuck. There is a sense of pathetic desperation as the man-child overreaches, gasping for one final run for the gold.

Fuck dude... fade to black, count your coin and stop drawing attention to your complete lack of comedic chops.

Last edited by JumpCutz; 06-07-12 at 12:43 AM.
Old 06-16-12, 07:31 AM

It may have a 24% rating on RT, much higher than the 3% that Jack & Jill received, the top critics that hated it really hated it - rating it 1.5 stars or less. Even a few zeroes.

Here's some of my thoughts (http://insidepulse.com/2012/06/15/thats-my-boy-review/)

"Watching everything play out a few thoughts popped into my head. Now I can’t remember the order in which they arrived but here are the bullet points: Mary Kay LeTourneau; Mike Judge’s Idiocracy; Rodney Dangerfield telling Robert Downey Jr. that he looked like the “poster boy for birth control” in Back to School; and realizing this comedy is 114 minutes long – are you kidding me?

Any optimism I had going in quickly vanished and it was replaced by disappointment, then displeasure, then anger, before finally arriving at regret. Who needs the stages of grief when you can go from critic to cynic in the span of an Adam Sandler movie? I may have missed a step or two but the sentiment is there, unlike That’s My Boy, which is devoid of sentiment, humor and intelligence."
Old 06-16-12, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Here's to hoping Samberg reconsiders leaving SNL for his own sake.
Old 06-16-12, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

So, taking its cues from a few well publicized instances of school boys knocking up their school teachers, Adam Sandler's character, Donny, does just that, only to find himself broke 30 years later, with a tax bill coming due that threatens to send Donny to jail unless he can make something happen with his estranged son and a reality show payday in the wings over a long weekend in which the son is slated to get married.

I have no shame in saying that the last 2/3 of this film made me LOL alot, and it actually gained momentum as the film reached its conclusion. They made use of its R rating with mostly icky adult situations and some cussing, and the bachelor party scenes.

I give it 2.75 stars or a grade of B-, definitely worthy of a matinee if you like raunchy R rated comedies.
Old 06-18-12, 10:55 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll admit to having seen this yesterday and to tell you the truth, I laughed...quite a bit actually. I wasn't expecting to like it. I hadn't really liked Sandler's latest movies (only one I missed was "Just Go With It" or whatever it was called).

It's raunchy, especially the big reveal. It's dirty and juvenile. The comedy is pretty low brow. There's gratuitous nudity, but unfortunately, not Eva Amurri nudity. Vanilla Ice steals the show, just for the fact that somebody put Vanilla Ice in a movie.

It's not great, far from it, but it's the funniest thing Sandler's done in a while.
Old 06-18-12, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by boogieman03
I'll admit to having seen this yesterday and to tell you the truth, I laughed...quite a bit actually. I wasn't expecting to like it. I hadn't really liked Sandler's latest movies (only one I missed was "Just Go With It" or whatever it was called).

It's raunchy, especially the big reveal. It's dirty and juvenile. The comedy is pretty low brow. There's gratuitous nudity, but unfortunately, not Eva Amurri nudity. Vanilla Ice steals the show, just for the fact that somebody put Vanilla Ice in a movie.

It's not great, far from it, but it's the funniest thing Sandler's done in a while.
Ok. I'll bite. What's the big reveal?
Old 06-18-12, 01:06 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by madcougar
Ok. I'll bite. What's the big reveal?
Spoiler:

Incest. (Leighton Meester's character) Jamie is sleeping with everybody including her brother Chad (Milo Ventimiglia)

In my desensitized mind, that's still a little too icky for me.
Old 06-18-12, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by boogieman03
Spoiler:

Incest. (Leighton Meester's character) Jamie is sleeping with everybody including her brother Chad (Milo Ventimiglia)

In my desensitized mind, that's still a little too icky for me.
This just became a must see for me.
Old 06-24-12, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Saw this tonight and must say, I don't at all agree with the plethora of negative reviews. Is this movie mindless and stupid? Yes, and that's what I expected. Is this movie freakin hilarious? Absolutely.

I wasn't looking for anything thought-provoking when going into That's My Boy, I was looking to get some laughs and have good time, which I had. I feel like many critics are automatically writing off Sandler due to some of the garbage he has put out in the recent years. This was a nice comedy movie - not perfect, but definitely entertaining.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.