Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Spielberg's reactions to 1976 Oscar Nominations

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Spielberg's reactions to 1976 Oscar Nominations

Old 02-26-12, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Spielberg's reactions to 1976 Oscar Nominations

I've never watched 'Titanic', never want to see it. I have caught a few minutes, less than 5, on TV and it confirmed, actually it was worse, than everything I thought about it when it came out.

Same with 'Twilight', haven't seen any of them. I think I made it for about 3 or 4 minutes once when it was showing on TV. They were playing baseball IIRC. It was worse than I expected.

There are too many truly great films to find and watch out there to waste time on such drivel.
Old 02-26-12, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 195 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus
What about District 9? Sure it was mainly sci-fi but with the transformation that Wikus was going through was sorta horror-ish.
While I'll love the movie....I swear to this day they just included it to throw another nomination into the mix.....wasn't that the first year they bumped up the nominations to like 9 or something?
Old 02-26-12, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stroszeck
Funny, Spielberg also said about Barry Lyndon that year that "it's like walking through the Louvre without lunch."
wow, for someone who poses as Kubrick's best friend and an aficionado of his work, I don't think he really understands any of his films. He also called Clockwork Orange a piece of "punk rock"
Old 02-26-12, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

1975, a time when movies that were nominated were actually really good movies, and not most of the slop that are nominated in this past decade.
Old 02-26-12, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,309 Likes on 953 Posts

Originally Posted by Rival11
While I'll love the movie....I swear to this day they just included it to throw another nomination into the mix.....wasn't that the first year they bumped up the nominations to like 9 or something?
Yes, they had 10 nominees that year. And all nominees are voted in so it wasn't just thrown in. Whether it should've been in the top 10 of that year is always up for debate, but I think it belonged in that group.
Old 02-26-12, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,309 Likes on 953 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnabb
1975, a time when movies that were nominated were actually really good movies, and not most of the slop that are nominated in this past decade.
IMO the 70's was the best overall decade for movies.
Old 02-27-12, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 280 Likes on 211 Posts

Yeah...listening to that list of nominees....that's a great group of people to "lose" to. Hell I would be honored to even be making movies at a time when they were alive.
Old 02-28-12, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hell yes it was.
Old 02-28-12, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

I was so glad to see this clip. A few months before Jaws came out I convinced my parents to go to the Stage Door deli in NYC. I was like 10 so have no idea why I wanted to go there when I think back

Anyway so we get our sandwiches and theres a guy next to us that starts a conversation with my mom. He was really excitable and he was talking about how he had just made this movie and it was going to be the biggest movie ever. He talked about the fights he was having with the studio, even said some executives did not like the name Jaws. Seemed like he had to fight continuously over every little thing.

Few months later I see Jaws advertised in the paper and my parents remember that day and we go to see it. Jaws was terrifying for a 10 year old by the way, and my mom said no way a scary movie like that is going to be huge like Gone with the Wind.

The funny thing is that for all this time I have almost doubted my recollection of the conversation with Spielberg because it was so different than he has seemed in any interview I have seen of him since. The Spielberg in this clip is exactly as I remember him being.
Old 02-28-12, 08:53 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

talk about being original for sure, man.