DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Red 2 (2013? Dir: Parisot, Willis, Mirren) - News, Cast, Rumors (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/599232-red-2-2013-dir-parisot-willis-mirren-news-cast-rumors.html)

devilshalo 02-21-12 07:53 PM

Red 2 (2013? Dir: Parisot, Willis, Mirren) - News, Cast, Rumors

Originally Posted by Borys Kit
'Red 2' to be Directed by Dean Parisot
Bruce Willis, Morgan Freeman are likely to return for the sequel to the hit 2010 comedy.
7:53 PM PST 2/17/2012 by Borys Kit

Dean Parisot is in final negotiations to direct the sequel to Summit's hit action movie Red.

Red saw Bruce Willis lead a cast that included Helen Mirren, John Malkovich and Morgan Freeman, among others, as over-the-hill special ops agents forced out of retirement.

The quartet is expected to return for the sequel, although no deals are signed and sealed.

Robert Schwentke directed the first movie, which hit theatres in the fall 2010 and grossed almost $200 million worldwide. The movie gave Summit another franchise on top of its Twilight movies and showed the still-strong viability of older actors such as Willis.

Erich and Jon Hoeber, who wrote the script for the first installment, penned the sequel.

Summit, which has been bought by Lionsgate, is eying a production start later in the year, most likely after Willis shoots Die Hard 5.

Parisot, who last directed 2005's Fun With Dick and Jane, beat out several other directors for the gig. The CAA-repped director is best known for helming 1999's action comedy Galaxy Quest.

Spoiler:
Not sure how they bring Freeman back since I thought he died in the first.

I liked the first Red. I'd be up for more over-the-top Malkovich.

JumpCutz 02-21-12 07:57 PM

Re: Red 2 (2013? Dir: Parisot, Willis, Mirren) - News, Cast, Rumors

Wow. I'm surprised they're making a sequel. The first one was just...meh, nothing special, a generic action-comedy.

Mike86 02-21-12 08:10 PM

I'll probably see this. The first one wasn't anything amazing but I enjoyed it enough to watch another.

DonnachaOne 02-22-12 02:27 AM

Originally Posted by JumpCutz (Post 11124462)
Wow. I'm surprised they're making a sequel. The first one was just...meh, nothing special, a generic action-comedy.

It made money, and Summit needs a franchise after Twilight's finished.

Giantrobo 02-22-12 02:34 AM

I was just thinking how cool a sequel would be. I loved the 1st film.

RichC2 02-22-12 08:03 AM

I really enjoyed the first movie, it was casual/cool and a lot of fun, love the cast. And while over-the-top in spots, it kept it somewhat grounded, as in it didn't go the Shoot 'Em Up route.

RocShemp 02-22-12 08:08 AM

Really liked the first. Been looking forward to a sequel. I hope Karl Urban returns.

Groucho 02-22-12 08:20 AM

The first one was fine, but I didn't realize anybody was clamoring for a sequel.

OldBoy 02-22-12 02:53 PM

i loved the first way more than i ever thought i would, a hell of a lot of fun. very big wants for a sequel or prequel.

JumpCutz 02-22-12 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by DonnachaOne (Post 11124694)
It made money, and Summit needs a franchise after Twilight's finished.

So they're not just making a sequel, but are attempting to turn this into a franchise? :lol:

DonnachaOne 02-22-12 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by JumpCutz (Post 11125544)
So they're not just making a sequel, but are attempting to turn this into a franchise? :lol:

That was the plan, for Red and The Three Musketeers, which Summit saw as a possible money-spinner just as Sherlock Holmes was for Warner. This Red sequel news isn't itself news - the only really new aspect is that Dean Parisot has stepped in to direct. Of course, there'll be no Musketeer sequel after its dreadful business, and Red's second sequel is less certain now that Lionsgate bought Summit. Lionsgate could do with a franchise of their own too, of course, now that Saw is over.

Dr Mabuse 02-22-12 06:49 PM

I really had fun with this first one. That doesn't mean it's great film making, but it knew what kind of film it wanted to be and pulled it off well.

I expect the sequel to be terrible, but who knows.

DVD Josh 02-22-12 07:56 PM

I wanted to like it more than I did. Loved the trailers but wasn't crazy about the movie. Just seemed like a more violent The Whole Nine Yards.

Groucho 02-22-12 08:17 PM

I'd rather have the Musketeers sequel. :shrug:

Supermallet 02-22-12 09:03 PM

I liked the first. I'm game for this.

Why So Blu? 02-22-12 09:16 PM

I enjoyed the first film a lot.

TomOpus 02-22-12 09:25 PM

As long as Helen is back, I'm there.

GuessWho 02-22-12 10:14 PM

I look forward to Red 5: Standing By

My Other Self 02-22-12 11:09 PM

Really enjoyed the first. One of my favorites of 2010. I'd welcome a sequel.

islandclaws 02-23-12 11:07 AM

Count me in as another who didn't expect much out of the first, but found it to be extremely enjoyable with some solid action. As long as they can retain the spirit, I'd check this out.

mndtrp 02-23-12 08:00 PM

I thought the first was a lot of fun, so I'm in for a second.

Time Warrior 02-23-12 09:05 PM

I hope Ernest Borgnine is back - at the age of 95(!) he still has what it takes.

Solid Snake 02-23-12 09:29 PM

Do you know he stays alive? ;)

islandclaws 05-10-12 06:41 PM

From Collider:

While we recently learned that Galaxy Quest director Dean Parisot would be taking the helm of Red 2 (the sequel to the 2010 hit Red), we still didn’t know which original cast members would be returning for the follow-up. Well Summit has made one big casting announcement today, confirming that Bruce Willis, John Malkovich, Helen Mirren, and Mary-Louise Parker will be reprising their roles from the first film alongside newcomers Catherine Zeta-Jones and Byung-Hun Lee.

RocShemp 05-10-12 08:25 PM

Shame that Morgan Freeman won't be returning (not that it was ever likely given the events of the first movie) and I'm disappointed that there's no mention of Karl Urban or Ernest Borgnine, but I'm happy about the additions of Lee Byung-Hun and Catherine Zeta-Jones.