Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Weekend Box Office (2/17 - 2/20): This Means War on McG's Career

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Weekend Box Office (2/17 - 2/20): This Means War on McG's Career

Old 02-19-12, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Weekend Box Office (2/17 - 2/20): This Means War on McG's Career

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
How it'll most likely look come Monday:

1. Safe House
2. The Vow
3. Ghost Rider
4. Journey 2
5. This Means War
Very nice prediction, sir.

I botched the top five, but got 6-10 on the money.
Old 02-19-12, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ghost Rider 2's production budget is $57 million, compared to $110 million of the first one. So the softer opening doesn't look as bad when you factor that in. But I don't think GR2 will reach $60 mil.
Old 02-19-12, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 289 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Ghost Rider 2 made 22 Million. Pretty impressive for 4th place. The budget was also downgraded. I read where Neveldine/Taylor had said that the 70 million was inflated. The final budget came in at 57 million. It's pretty much made half of that, so it may turn a profit at some point.
When are they gonna make CRANK 3-D? That's the only thing I want to see with those names attached.
Old 02-19-12, 09:53 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 983 Likes on 820 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
When are they gonna make CRANK 3-D? That's the only thing I want to see with those names attached.
amen!
Old 02-19-12, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 936 Likes on 661 Posts

Originally Posted by TimeandTide
He gets a "forever pass" from me for bringing Nikita (and Maggie Q) to TV.
And Human Target. Seems like Mr. McG should stick to TV.
Old 02-19-12, 11:05 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
And Human Target. Seems like Mr. McG should stick to TV.
And Chuck. He definitely seems to have a better record with television.
Old 02-20-12, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

McG is also involved with Supernatural.
Old 02-20-12, 12:59 AM
Banned

don't care how much decent tv he produces, he aint getting any kind of pass from me until the douche nozzle changes his stupid fucking name.
Old 02-20-12, 01:41 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by resinrats
McG is also involved with Supernatural.
He pokes fun at himself by appearing as a total douchebag in one episode. It's not enough to make me like him, but I did laugh.
Old 02-20-12, 02:25 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I've heard McG also had some sort of involvement with the TV show Chuck.

I was going to defend stupid action movies for stupid action movie's sake, but then I looked at his filmography. I've only seen the first Charlie's Angels... so continue torching him!
Old 02-20-12, 03:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

let's not forget he was behind the horrible US version of SPACED that luckily didn't get picked up
Old 02-20-12, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

No matter what McG does on TV, all of his movies are stupid action CGI-fest movies that don't even try to have good characters or an interesting story. Even when I was a teenager, I could never gravitate to what I call 'dummy movies' that care more about action/effects then characters and story. The Batman movies by Nolan (whether you like them or not) atleast show you can have both when it comes to summer blockbusters.
Old 02-20-12, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
McG brought us Chuck and for that he gets a "forever pass" in Hollywood for me.
Originally Posted by trespoochies
And Chuck. He definitely seems to have a better record with television.
Originally Posted by Wazootyman
I've heard McG also had some sort of involvement with the TV show Chuck.

I never understood how McG garnered so much hate so quickly. I liked the first Charlie's Angels so I don't see the big deal, but it seemed like people hated him really quickly. I don't think his movie output is that bad, and he's only directed a few; the two Charlie's Angels, We Are Marshall, and Terminator Salvation. It doesn't seem too bad
Old 02-20-12, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by fumanstan

I never understood how McG garnered so much hate so quickly. I liked the first Charlie's Angels so I don't see the big deal, but it seemed like people hated him really quickly. I don't think his movie output is that bad, and he's only directed a few; the two Charlie's Angels, We Are Marshall, and Terminator Salvation. It doesn't seem too bad
i think most of it stems from the fact that he calls himself "McG"
Old 02-20-12, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
i think most of it stems from the fact that he calls himself "McG"
Which is an even stupider reason.
Old 02-20-12, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 285 Likes on 213 Posts

Especially considering that that nickname was what he was referred to since he was born. It's not like he's being a douche about it.
Old 02-20-12, 11:35 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan

That's my answer, I think both Charlie's Angels are absolute crap. I don't care for Salvation either. Never gave Marshall a try though.
Old 02-20-12, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Terminator Salvation was effectively the "Alien Resurrection" of the Terminator movies. It killed the franchise and set its corpse on fire.
Old 02-20-12, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 373 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by Thrush
Terminator Salvation was effectively the "Alien Resurrection" of the Terminator movies. It killed the franchise and set its corpse on fire.
So you're saying we might get a Terminator vs. Robocop movie or two?
Old 02-20-12, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
Tyler Perry's Terminator vs Robocop vs Army of Darkness' Travelling Pants.

Directed by McG (Summer, 2013).
Old 02-20-12, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
First of all thats not even a contest. Robocop would wreck the T800.
Old 02-20-12, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

McG hit the scene with music videos. I really enjoyed them - they were all about the fun of music videos, and his pattern was pretty clear: high contrast, every color imaginable, and each video would usually have three vignettes (verse 1 - band on stage! verse 2 - band in pool! etc), with one of them usually involving a vehicle stunt.

Yes, I watched a lot of music videos in the late nineties. They were on then.

Since jumping into films, however, he hasn't kept up the same sense of fun. The Charlie's Angels films, which tried to spoof the old shows (and big-screen TV adaptations) while also trying to glorify them, couldn't manage to do either successfully. The results are films filmed with over-the-top action scenes and obvious Friedberg-Seltzer-level "parodies" that are just dull. McG simply had no voice and just threw nonsensical setpieces at the screen.

Around the mid-00s, in spite of Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle's rottenness, McG was set to direct Warner Bros' Superman reboot. You've probably heard all about the problems with this production, from JJ Abram's strange rewrite of the whole Superman story to McG eventually refusing to make the film because he didn't want to fly to Australia. I suppose it had to happen, though. Since then JJ Abrams restarted Star Trek, a critical and commercial success that won new fans without undoing the fanboy mythology - no doubt Abrams took into account the negative attention his Superman surgery ignited. Also, McG's public consideration of possible Supermen (Josh Hartnett and Brendan Fraser among them) surely led to Henry Cavill, an early frontrunner, being considered for WB's new film.

I have not seen We Are Marshall, and I concede that it may be amazing. Looking at the reaction, mind you, I surmise I don't need to see it.

Terminator Salvation, however, is McG's most grievous sin. I can almost understand WB's viewpoint - after hack Jonathan Mostow's TV-movie-looking Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines, I can see why they'd want to use a director with a bit more flash. The result, though - yeesh. I don't think I've ever had a more disappointing time at the cinema than when I watched Terminator Salvation:
Originally Posted by DonnachaOne
Terminator Salvation is insultingly bad.
It's loud, stupid and boring, then defies expectation by getting even worse. No direction or point to any of it, and the story - what there is of it - is just there as an excuse to have bit action setpieces that rip off better, or at least more popular, films (including one that served to remind me of The Mummy Returns, and was so bad it made me wish I was watching... The Mummy Returns). The semblance of a story is that Kyle Reese is a very-low-tier freedom fighter and John Conner has to find him if he ever wants to send him back in time to father the future; Marcus Wright, a chap who seems to have been asleep through the whole Judgment Day thing, becomes Kyle's guardian for no apparent reason. We recognize why things are supposed to be happening, we just don't have anything connected to anything else to create any sense of story progression, at least not in any way that prompted me to care about what was happening in any way. To paraphrase a much better film : "there's no plot but what we make for ourselves".

There are visual and audio references aplenty to the first couple of Terminator films, but they're all obvious, unnecessary and stupid, as if someone hurriedly wrote them in after watching the films for the second time. To wit: John Conner distracts a motorcycle robot with a stereo playing "You Could Be Mine".

It is a film with well-done visuals but no style, bits of great sound design but mostly noise, and wouldn't know what to do or where to stop if it wasn't for the fact that its two hours are up. At its best, it's like watching someone else getting frustrated playing a well-rendered videogame. At its worst it is just dull.

People, don't watch it. I can't think of any redeeming qualities that would ever warrant you spending any of your money to see it. It is a film that could only be enjoyed by sad, depressing idiots, and if you like Terminator Salvation on its own merits, we can't be friends. And you probably shouldn't breed.

I went in with an open mind and left with a tarnished soul. I felt horrible for making myself watch the whole stupid, stupid thing; it's unmitigated shit and you should stay far, far away. Whatever you got from the trailers, whatever you enjoyed - just let that play over in your mind's eye for a bit and leave it at that.
Since then I've learned more about the problematic production, with the reshot ending, Bale's Jonathan-Nolan-penned rewrites to create a larger (but almost completely unnecessary) character, and so on. These help explain the utter aberration of a film, but they don't excuse it.

So as you can see, McG still has a long way to go. I've not seen a good film of his yet. I want to see a McG film that has a personal touch, something that has a unique voice and an emphasis on character and story over effects and flash. He can do that while still having car stunts.

NB: I don't mind his name. There's plenty of grown men who call themselves worse things.
Old 02-20-12, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Thrush
I love the Terminator movies (The Original is still my fav), and it takes a shitty director to make a bad Terminator movie. Even though T3 was not even close to T1 and T2, it was still entertaining and followed the formula. Terminator Salvation is just unwatchable, and that was the final straw with me with anything McG directed. He is a total hack, IMO.
Old 02-20-12, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 708 Likes on 436 Posts

I went to go see Arrietty today (4 out of 5, VERY good movie indeed), a 3pm matinee on a day the kids were out of school. The theater was about 75% full, mostly young children... and they were all RIVETED. Some expected shuffling and kiddie talkin, but at a bare minimum. When the credits ran, there was a LOT of polite applause.

There's hope for the human race yet.
Old 02-20-12, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,310 Likes on 954 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
I went to go see Arrietty today (4 out of 5, VERY good movie indeed), a 3pm matinee on a day the kids were out of school. The theater was about 75% full, mostly young children... and they were all RIVETED. Some expected shuffling and kiddie talkin, but at a bare minimum. When the credits ran, there was a LOT of polite applause.

There's hope for the human race yet.
Very good to hear that.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.