Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Transformers: Age of Extinction (2014) (D: Bay; S: Wahlberg, Peltz, Grammer)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Transformers: Age of Extinction (2014) (D: Bay; S: Wahlberg, Peltz, Grammer)

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-11, 04:41 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Hasbro in Talks for Fourth 'Transformers' Movie

Actually..2 seconds is alright. 1 second or less is bad. If you want HK style editing though...well than most modern action films are horrid.

Lin is VERY good at constructing action. Even w/ following all those characters..he somehow is able to control it very well. Even when shit gets crazy in F5...you know what's going on and he really knows how to fill that frame up in the action without cluttering it to hell.

Last edited by Solid Snake; 10-18-11 at 04:46 PM.
Old 10-18-11, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

People are hyping up Justin Lin as a great director based off of one film? Even that one film wasn't great. It was pretty good, but far from great. Need I remind everyone he was also the director of crap like Fast & Furious, The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift, and Annapolis? I certainly don't think Bay is a great director at all. But let's not go crazy with the Justin Lin hyperbole.

Besides, I doubt Christopher Nolan could turn a film based on this concept into a great film. I simply watch them for the incredible CG, and kick bot on bot action. Nothing more.
Old 10-18-11, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
I'm up for a 4th, but wouldn't mind seeing a different director. Maybe someone like Jonathan Mostow. Jason Statham's name is being floated out there as the new human lead.
Originally Posted by RocShemp
The rumour of Statham as the lead of the fourth was circulated before the third was even shot. I'm thinking it's just fan speculation. Much like claims (fostered by musing from Tyrese) that Spielberg would direct the fourth.
I guess there's more tho the rumour than I thought:

In a down economy, everyone is looking for unique ways to save a few million dollars. When you have a billion dollar franchise like Hasbro’s Transformers, every million counts. Noting the rising costs of special effects, advanced planning for marketing tie-ins and laborious contract negations, Paramount is considering shooting the fourth and fifth installments back-to-back. Hasbro CEO announced at the company’s third quarter earnings conference that they were actively discussing this strategy with Paramount, director Michael Bay and producer Steven Spielberg. With Shia LaBeouf not returning, this frees up some room for a new face of the franchise…perhaps, Jason Statham?

Hit the jump for more on Transformers 4 and 5.

News of the “rolling shoot” strategy by Paramount and Hasbro comes by way of Variety, whose sources say there may very well be two films headed into production instead of one. The tactic has worked before, going as far back as The Matrix: Reloaded and Revolutions to the divide-and-conquer approach of the final film of both the Harry Potter and Twilight series. (Director Justin Lin’s Fast Six and Fast Seven may be headed down the same path). This strategy pays off in a number of ways, which I will attempt to break down.

Creatively, everyone can get on the same page and develop a plot treatment for two films at one time. Screenwriter Ehren Kruger (Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen and Transformers: Dark of the Moon) is reported to have ideas that are in lockstep with the studio, but has only just begun creative meetings with writers. Michael Bay, who is currently only slated as an executive producer with Spielberg, is said to have interest in directing if he can have some time to work on his passion-project Pain and Gain. Bay is also a creative consultant on Transformers: The Ride 3D which opens at Universal Studios Hollywood next spring. Planning two films without a break would be easier on everyone’s schedules.

Contractually, getting cast and crew on board for two films would save time and money over renegotiating between shoots. One familiar face of the franchise is definitely out, as Shia LaBeouf has stepped aside. This frees Paramount up to put a new stamp on the franchise and allows the writers to take more liberties with plot lines. The aforementioned Jason Statham has been on the radar, but no offer is on the table as of yet.

Lastly, the marketing advantage to planning two films consecutively is money in the bank for Hasbro and Paramount. The toymaker has made over $1 billion in toy sales alone from just the first two movies. Hasbro reported a 10% rise in profits from one year ago, due in large part to the Transformers tie-in sales. Although the company has plans to make feature films from some of its other products such as Micronauts, Candyland, Risk, Stretch Armstrong, Clue, Monopoly, Ouija and Battleship, there is no desire to turn into a Marvel Studios-type filmmaker. CEO Goldner seems content to do the toymaking while studios continue to do the filmmaking. If you ask me, it’s worked pretty well so far.
Originally Posted by Terrell
People are hyping up Justin Lin as a great director based off of one film? Even that one film wasn't great. It was pretty good, but far from great. Need I remind everyone he was also the director of crap like Fast & Furious, The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift, and Annapolis? I certainly don't think Bay is a great director at all. But let's not go crazy with the Justin Lin hyperbole.

Besides, I doubt Christopher Nolan could turn a film based on this concept into a great film. I simply watch them for the incredible CG, and kick bot on bot action. Nothing more.
It's Lin's direction that made Fast & Furious and The Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift (despite a subpar script) entertaining. He fits the mold for a Transformers film to a T (no pun intended) and his action sequences are more coherent than those of Bay.

Last edited by RocShemp; 10-18-11 at 05:13 PM.
Old 10-18-11, 06:09 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

At this point I dont' care who the director is, they could re-animate David Lean to direct the film and I wouldn't go see it. The only way I'd see a part 4 is if they completely started over, threw out every single design concept, scrapped all the sound effects, computer models, and characters up to this point. Everything in Transf'ers 1, 2, and 3 is an absolute abortion. They need to start over with robots that don't look like complete excrement.
Old 10-18-11, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Horrible idea.
Old 10-18-11, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse
At this point I dont' care who the director is, they could re-animate David Lean to direct the film and I wouldn't go see it. The only way I'd see a part 4 is if they completely started over, threw out every single design concept, scrapped all the sound effects, computer models, and characters up to this point. Everything in Transf'ers 1, 2, and 3 is an absolute abortion. They need to start over with robots that don't look like complete excrement.
Hasbro is going to run this franchise into the ground making movie after movie until they stop making money. The good news is that its success permanently ensures the Transformers brand will stay alive for generations. Hopefully in 10 or 15 years the reboot (yes the cycle of reboots in Hollywood will be getting even quicker) will be a better franchise.
Old 10-18-11, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Movie series that have more commercial merit than artistic merit will continue until there's no more commercial merit to them.

Shia is not the draw for this film, so you can have 20 movies. That would rival the 98 episodes of the original TV series in length.

So, in that sense, it's not surprising.

I'd love to see Lin. Shit, get Peter Jackson to direct. Anyone.
Old 10-18-11, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonic
Bay should go work on Bad Boys III before it's too late.
Hell yea. It doesn't need to be Bad Boys. But I need my fix. Gimme some non-scifi Michael Bay. Some good old fashioned cops and guns and bad guys.

I'll see another transformers. But I'm not psyched about it. Transformers 3 was admirable and very solid; probably the best. That doesn't happen much with sequels.
Old 10-18-11, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did someone say Bad Boys III? Yes please.
Old 10-19-11, 08:11 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Going back to the original post for a second...

Asked about the state of Hasbro's movie plans after Universal previously dropped a planned Ouija film due to budget concerns
On Ouija, he drew a comparison to Walt Disney's recent decision to restructure the budget for The Lone Ranger. That is "the same process we have gone through on the Ouija brand," although at a lower level of spending, he said. Goldner added that the script is in good shape and is being polished now, meaning that the film could be back with a studio shortly.
What the hell are they putting in a Ouija movie that would make the budget so high? To me it would either be a horror movie (see Witchcraft) or a supernatural drama (in the Ghost Whisperer vein). Neither screams 'out of control budget' unless you're loading it with big name stars.
Old 10-19-11, 10:00 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Tom Creo
Did someone say Bad Boys III? Yes please.
Yea, I'd rather see Bad Boys III too, I'm kind of burnt out on Transformers, Paranormal Activity, and Die Hard Movies.
Old 10-19-11, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

The problem with the franchise isn't Bay, he knows how to put together great action scequences.
The problem with the franchise isn't LaBeouf, he is a good centerpiece for these tentpole moves.
The problem with the franchise is that once the novelty of giant robots fighting wears off usually around 10 minutes into the movie, the rest just becomes noise. You don't get emotionally attached to robots, they're machines with no personality.
Old 10-19-11, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,192 Likes on 2,060 Posts

Originally Posted by DRG
What the hell are they putting in a Ouija movie that would make the budget so high? To me it would either be a horror movie (see Witchcraft) or a supernatural drama (in the Ghost Whisperer vein). Neither screams 'out of control budget' unless you're loading it with big name stars.
My first thought was that it would be a Paranormal Activity type movie in which case the budget would be extremely small. However, if they're having budgetary concerns my guess would be they're thinking tons of special effects along the lines of Disney's Sorcerer's Apprentice with a lot of sequences featuring CGI swirling all over the place for no reason...
Old 10-19-11, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by sauce07
The problem with the franchise isn't Bay, he knows how to put together great action scequences.
The problem with the franchise isn't LaBeouf, he is a good centerpiece for these tentpole moves.
The problem with the franchise is that once the novelty of giant robots fighting wears off usually around 10 minutes into the movie, the rest just becomes noise. You don't get emotionally attached to robots, they're machines with no personality.
Actually, the robots have plenty of personality. And, other than Bumblebee, you're not really expected to have any emotional attatchment to any of them.

The problem with these movies is poorly fleshed out ideas that should have gone through several rewrites before they even considered rolling the cameras. Instead, each film feels more and more like they were flying bu the seat of their pants during production. A similar problem hurt the Pirates of the Caribbean sequels.
Old 10-19-11, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

In semi-related news:

<object name="kaltura_player_1319045684" id="kaltura_player_1319045684" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowScriptAccess="always" allowNetworking="all" allowFullScreen="true" height="363" width="550" data="http://cdnapi.kaltura.com/index.php/kwidget/wid/1_5j79be9k/uiconf_id/4899061"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="allowNetworking" value="all" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#000000" /><param name="movie" value="http://cdnapi.kaltura.com/index.php/kwidget/wid/1_5j79be9k/uiconf_id/4899061"/><param name="flashVars" value=""/>video platformvideo managementvideo solutionsvideo player</object>

Why is it that drunk girls always get "friendly" but drunk guys always become total douches?

Last edited by RocShemp; 10-19-11 at 12:47 PM.
Old 10-19-11, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by sauce07
But, but, but they have beards and wear spectacles and talk slang and have accents.

^^ Which I never f'ing understood and all those things immediately took me out of the movie. I could suspend belief for a fighting robot movie... but NOT robots with beards.
Old 10-19-11, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
In semi-related news:

<object name="kaltura_player_1319045684" id="kaltura_player_1319045684" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowScriptAccess="always" allowNetworking="all" allowFullScreen="true" height="363" width="550" data="http://cdnapi.kaltura.com/index.php/kwidget/wid/1_5j79be9k/uiconf_id/4899061"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="allowNetworking" value="all" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#000000" /><param name="movie" value="http://cdnapi.kaltura.com/index.php/kwidget/wid/1_5j79be9k/uiconf_id/4899061"/><param name="flashVars" value=""/>video platformvideo managementvideo solutionsvideo player</object>

Why is it that drunk girls always get "friendly" but drunk guys always become total douches?
So is Shia or Shia's abuser drunk in this pic? Because Shia always seems to come off like a douche, to me anyways.
Old 10-19-11, 04:57 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Michaeal Bay via a forum he frequents.

I am currently not talking to Paramount on T4 and T5 despite reports. I’m looking at a lot of possibilities coming my way right now weighing options. Most likely going to be doing the low budget Pain and Gain, a true story crime thriller. It’s a very quick shoot and quite funny. Also just finishing the 3 disc set of the Transformer trilogy.
Old 10-19-11, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Better be some damn Dinobots in the new flick.
Old 10-19-11, 06:26 PM
Suspended

I saw Transformers 3 and I had no idea what was going on mostly through the movie.
Old 10-19-11, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Better be some damn Dinobots in the new flick.
+1

I have no idea why they haven't used the Dinobots yet. In fact, their pick of which Transformers to use has always been curious at best in the movies.
Old 10-19-11, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Michael Bay's "low budget" could probably fund the Dardenne brothers for six lifetimes.
Old 10-19-11, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

I want to see GI Joe vs The Transformers
Old 10-19-11, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 348 Likes on 267 Posts

I'm a Michael Bay fan, but I will admit the best thing to come from the TF movies is Steve Jablonsky and his film scores.
Old 10-19-11, 10:32 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
+1

I have no idea why they haven't used the Dinobots yet. In fact, their pick of which Transformers to use has always been curious at best in the movies.

Because General Motors doesn't make dinosaurs.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.