Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Transformers: Age of Extinction (2014) (D: Bay; S: Wahlberg, Peltz, Grammer)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Transformers: Age of Extinction (2014) (D: Bay; S: Wahlberg, Peltz, Grammer)

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-13, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
re: Transformers: Age of Extinction (2014) (D: Bay; S: Wahlberg, Peltz, Grammer)

^ Finally some work for Solid Snake PAC that doesn't involve mowing lawns!
Old 05-31-13, 11:16 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts
re: Transformers: Age of Extinction (2014) (D: Bay; S: Wahlberg, Peltz, Grammer)

I'm throwing him non-lawn opportunities left and right. I posted the extras casting announcement for Machete, but I didn't see him in the trailer (movie trailer, not lawn trailer).
Old 06-01-13, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
The correct expression is "yeah and maybe I'm a Chinese jet pilot."
Yeah, well, either is about as likely, especially given that Bay's movies lean more towards G1, so they'd have no reason to put out Animated anyway. I wonder who does have the rights now? I think Beast Machines is actually OOP now?
Old 06-01-13, 10:23 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Fuck. I'd love to have beast wars on BD. We'll never get it but I can dream. I didn't lik Beast Machines till the end.
Old 06-01-13, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I loved Beast Wars. Beast Machines was underrated but did take some getting used to.
Old 06-02-13, 12:07 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just didn't jive with the beginning of it all. It wasn't as exotic to me. At some point though I eased up to it. How did megatron Fuck up Cybertron?
Old 06-02-13, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Fuck. I'd love to have beast wars on BD. We'll never get it but I can dream.
Well, that would be just prime. I believe it got rereleased by the folks at Shout Factory after the Rhino DVDs went OOP. They released ReBoot too. You know, my feelings about what Dan DiDio has done at DC Comics not withstanding, he's also the one who told the crew of Beast Machines to ignore everything that had come before because it was too "continuity heavy." We saw how well that worked. He's also apparently the one who cancelled ReBoot. You know, I can accept that the crew are scattered to the four winds. I can accept that they can never finish ReBoot. I can except that, not counting the webcomic, it's unlikely that it'll ever get a comic book continuation like Gargoyles did. But it is it seriously too much to ask that we get told about how it was planned to end?

I didn't like Beast Machines till the end.
It's very, very, very, very controversial among Transfans, even today. Though it is gorgeous looking. Beast Wars CGI looks pretty dated now, but what makes it hold up is that Mainframe focused on what was important, making the character gesture and emote in detail and using cool camera stuff, plus the top-notch voice-acting. They focused on the characters, and the rest followed. Beast Machines, though, looks gorgeous even today in places. The Diagnostic Drone is expressive, and it doesn't even have a face.

I loved Beast Wars. Beast Machines was underrated but did take some getting used to.
Apparently the so-called Unicron Trilogy (Armada, Energon, Cybertron) which followed it was hideously bad (Incidentally, did that ever get season set DVD releases?), and that's made some fan reevaluate Beast Machines. I think the fundamental problem with it is that it's a direct followup to Beast Wars, but many of the characters have radically different personalities, characterizations, and motivations. It's way different tonally, dark and somber, lacking the fun and humor that Beast Wars had. It tries to be dark and philosophical, though how successfully depends on who you ask. Apparently Bob Skir received death threats, which made him cancel a convention appearance, and amazingly sad reflection on the fandom. What's BotCon like? I've always wanted to go to a fan convention of some kind, maybe actually meet someone like-minded.

Tangentially, the omnibus of Beast Wars comics is now OOP as well. Damn you, IDW. I wonder what rhyme or reason they've been using to rerelease the old Marvel and Marvel UK stuff, the Titan trades appear to be OOP, did G2 ever come out again?

Just didn't jive with the beginning of it all. It wasn't as exotic to me. At some point though I eased up to it. How did Megatron fuck up Cybertron?
The whole thing about Cyberton being organic has really rubbed a lot of fans the wrong way. It brings the G1 continuity to a pretty conclusive ending, for better or worse. Beast Wars took place in the past, when the Maximals won, they strapped Megatron to the back of the old Autobot shuttle with a new Transwarp drive to travel back to their present. The explanation given in Beast Machines is that at some point during the time warp, Megatron broke free of his restraints and when they landed in the present, Megatron had had an unspecified amount of time, presumably man years, to do what he did to Cyberton, taking over the planet, creating the transformation-lock virus that erased the Maximals memories, create the Vehicons, steal sparks, etc.

As to how the hell Waspinator got back to Cybertron, even over the course of four million years, is a great mystery to me.

Rhino released Beast Machines on DVD, but it's OOP now (Are Rhino out of business?)? I don't know anything about the Unicron Trilogy on DVD, The pilot of Transformers: Animated and the first two season both got released on DVD, though I'm not sure by whom, but they're both OOP now, the third season never came out. And I don't think any of the releases had the proper widescreen versions
Old 06-02-13, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

It pisses me off how we somehow can't this this kind of level in drama in the films.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/C3E358n7pcI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/eyW5KMMDjZw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Like we have inklings of it but it's just fluff essentially in the films. Also...how...we still can't have the fucking films focus more on the robots. We don't care about Sam and the others. We care about the Transformers. All humans are worthless to the plot aside from the military, which was actually smart to have NEST exist..cuz that'd make sense if it could be allowed.
it also sucks that the robots aren't as recognizable in the movies as in those clips
most of the decepticons looked indistinguishable from each other in robot mode
Old 06-02-13, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
They did make an updated version and fucked it all up with the lame rap inclusion. It's painful.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/U3_EXxwDpq0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
the original may be 80s cheese (offset by childhood nostalgia), but that version is just horrible
Old 06-12-13, 05:29 PM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

A fire broke out on the Texas set of "Transformers 4" ... causing major damage to a 100-year-old home ... and officials believe it may have been caused by movie pyrotechnics.

A rep for the Pflugerville Fire Department tells us ... the fire started in the attic ... but emergency responders sprung into action and were able to extinguish the blaze before it had a chance to damage the rest of the home.

Unfortunately, the FD says the attic suffered "substantial damage."

The rep says, "There was one injury to a civilian who was transported to the hospital by Austin Travis County EMS. We have no other information on this person or their injury. "

We're told ... officials believe burning embers from pyrotechnics may have caused the blaze, but they're not sure at this point.

So far, the fire is being ruled as "accidental."

The FD says the home has been released back to the homeowner.
Old 06-13-13, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Bay has had some bad luck with the shooting of these movies, first the injured stunt man, now a fire.
Old 06-13-13, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

And that women who got messed up by a snapped cable.

There's so much going on in these movies that there's not much you can do. Beats doing everything against a green screen.
Old 06-13-13, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Bay doesn't dick around when it comes to his Baysplotions®.
Old 07-27-13, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Bumblebee Gets a 2014 Upgrade in New Transformers 4

I'm kind of mixed on this. I sort of like it but I miss the more angular look of the previous models.
Old 07-27-13, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Can't wait!!!!!!!!!1!!!!
Old 07-27-13, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The movie is a goddamn car commercial already, who cares?
Old 07-27-13, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by islandclaws
The movie is a goddamn car commercial already, who cares?
Oh, no doubt about it. Michael Bay cut his teeth on car commercials and he's obsessed with shooting them right. Officially, it's GMC that insists that the cars remain pristine despite their robot counterparts being all scratched up and caked in mud. However, I have a funny feeling the edict was already in place by Bay himself before GMC ever said anything.

Given he's such a car nut, I wish there was footage of his reaction when they crashed the Maybach used in Transformers: Dark of the Moon. He was supposedly furious and I'm betting his ranting (if any) would have made Christian Bale seem like a sweet young choir boy.
Old 07-27-13, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Oh, no doubt about it. Michael Bay cut his teeth on car commercials and he's obsessed with shooting them right. Officially, it's GMC that insists that the cars remain pristine despite their robot counterparts being all scratched up and caked in mud. However, I have a funny feeling the edict was already in place by Bay himself before GMC ever said anything.
It's the ultimate franchise movie product, based on toys to sell cars!

Given he's such a car nut, I wish there was footage of his reaction when they crashed the Maybach used in Transformers: Dark of the Moon. He was supposedly furious and I'm betting his ranting (if any) would have made Christian Bale seem like a sweet young choir boy.
Bay is pretty notorious for his temper at the best of times, from the stories I've heard. In the special features on the DVD of the first movie, even taking into account how much editing of the interviews with him and others talking about him must have been done, he still comes across as a pretty abrasive and confrontational person.
Old 08-23-13, 05:37 PM

Rumored to be appearing in Transformers 4 earlier this year, we've received word that the scene the production will start shooting in Chicago today may indeed involve the Dinobots! The filming is expected to take place at McCormick Place. It may be a while before we would actually get to see the Dinobots in robot form, of course.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=108125
Old 08-23-13, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Since Bay has gone on record that he hates the Dinobots (and rumour has it that he viewed the Wreckers in TF: DOTM as the sane thing as the Dinobots), I fear how badly he intentionally fucks them up.
Old 08-28-13, 08:31 PM

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/fhdLvbuUQv0?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/DLKtmC7KvBg?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 08-28-13, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Can't wait!!!1!!
Old 08-28-13, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Since Bay has gone on record that he hates the Dinobots (and rumour has it that he viewed the Wreckers in TF: DOTM as the sane thing as the Dinobots), I fear how badly he intentionally fucks them up.
You're just picking up on how bad he's going to fuck something up in a TF film? Where you been at?
Old 08-29-13, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
You're just picking up on how bad he's going to fuck something up in a TF film? Where you been at?
No. Not just picking it up. However, he has particular disdain for the Dinobots and has been very vocal against them. I think it'll be a point of pride for him to "make them cool" or "relevant". In other words, I fear everything else he's done to the TF franchise will look reverential by comparison.
Old 08-29-13, 02:55 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had a chance to work on this movie over the summer (marketing)
As much as some of us thought the plot was silly it should be a fun ride for families...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.