Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (2012, d: Timur Bekmambetov, p: Tim Burton)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (2012, d: Timur Bekmambetov, p: Tim Burton)

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-12, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (2012, d: Timur Bekmambetov, p: Tim Burton)

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
As per BOM:

Rated R for violence throughout and brief sexuality.
Love it. I fully expect this to bomb, though. Even though it's vampires I think it's just too obscure to the tween crowd that Twilight appeals to.
Old 06-05-12, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
As per BOM:

Rated R for violence throughout and brief sexuality.
This is actually one of the things that could have happened which make me more excited for it.
Old 06-06-12, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I really wanted copious amounts of Abe Lincoln sexuality
Old 06-06-12, 12:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I really wanted copious amounts of Abe Lincoln sexuality
Your wish is my command.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ewrHj_RRk0Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 06-06-12, 02:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by mcfly
Love it. I fully expect this to bomb, though. Even though it's vampires I think it's just too obscure to the tween crowd that Twilight appeals to.
It actually doesn't appeal to the Twilight crowd at all. This is some adult shit. Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter is filed in the adult section not the YA section.

It's aimed at an older crowd, which I appreciate.
Old 06-06-12, 06:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The problem is that adults don't want to see it, either.
Old 06-06-12, 07:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,658 Likes on 1,034 Posts

Originally Posted by MoviePage
The book was a New York Times bestseller. A fair number of people read it, and might be interested in a movie version.
Old 06-06-12, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by MoviePage
Says who? Probably those that don't even know it's a book.
Old 06-06-12, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm one of those people who read it, and I'd be interested in a literate adaptation that's somewhat grounded in reality. Zero interest in yet another quick-cut wire-fu action fest as indicated by the trailer. I imagine that I'm not alone.
Old 06-22-12, 06:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 283 Likes on 181 Posts

Well, Ebert liked it:

3 Stars
Old 06-22-12, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

There was an interview with the writer of the film who also wrote the book and he talks about the massive changes that he had to make in order for it to be marketable. The book is epic, the film is more of a "thrill ride," with all the minutia from the book left out. *shrugs*

I'm seeing it today at 5pm.
Old 06-22-12, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Some of the dumbest reviews I've seen for a movie
Old 06-22-12, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't need my movies to have a history lesson in them, but if you knew nothing about Lincoln going in, you'd know even less coming out. I enjoyed it overall, but it felt like a string of videogame cutscenes - cool visuals, horrible dialogue and not a single character you cared about or moment that held any weight whatsoever. The 3D was fine but where I saw it, the projection was dark and the desaturated look of much of it got annoying to me - I wish it had been a bit more FUN. It's so sombre and never badass enough to justify going that route. I thought the end credit sequence was better than the 115 minutes that came before it.
Old 06-22-12, 08:40 PM

^agreed but my wife and I were even more lukewarm towards it at the end. I appreciate the movie playing it straight, but was definitely missing the fun. Went to to a 2:40 PM PST showing and there were maybe 15-20 people in the theatre. Don't see this one doing well.
Old 06-22-12, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Just got home. It was silly fun, nothing more. I do hope that they put out an extended or director's cut. Some of the non-action scenes were awkwardly edited. My main gripe was:

Spoiler:
Mary was married when she met Abe, but 5 minutes later she hooked up with him and married him. Whatever happened to the dude from Firefly that she was married too?
Old 06-23-12, 03:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

I quite enjoyed the book as an alt-history fan, but little interest in seeing a movie and they totally picked the wrong director for this. While the book was fairly serious it worked in that medium, but for a film you really need a bit more tongue in cheek - Sam Raimi could've had fun with it.
Old 06-23-12, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Sierra Disc
I quite enjoyed the book as an alt-history fan, but little interest in seeing a movie and they totally picked the wrong director for this. While the book was fairly serious it worked in that medium, but for a film you really need a bit more tongue in cheek - Sam Raimi could've had fun with it.
This.

I enjoyed the movie well enough, and thought that some of the actions scenes were really great. However, I definitely question the choice to play this movie completely and utterly straight. It didn't have to be a camp fest, but just a smidge of tongue and cheek could have made the movie a whole lot more fun.

The lead in this movie, Benjamin Walker, sure looks a whole lot like a young Liam Neeson. In some scenes, it was almost like Liam played the role and then they put him through the Benjamin Buttons process. This of course just makes you think of how much more awesome the movie Liam Neeson: Vampire Hunter would've been.
Old 06-23-12, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 144 Likes on 99 Posts

It was an interesting film and some of the action scenes were really cool. I question the premise of having vampires responsible for the proliferation of slavery in the United States but having Harriet Tubman essentially be responsible for the north winning the Civil War sorta makes up for the racial revisionism.

I haven't read the book so I cannot compare but I don't mind that the director played the movie straight. It's more Blade than Buffy.

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
Just got home. It was silly fun, nothing more. I do hope that they put out an extended or director's cut. Some of the non-action scenes were awkwardly edited. My main gripe was:

Spoiler:
Mary was married when she met Abe, but 5 minutes later she hooked up with him and married him. Whatever happened to the dude from Firefly that she was married too?
To answer your question
Spoiler:
Mary was engaged to Douglas, not married. My guess is, the wedding was off. We see Douglas briefly in the Lincoln/Douglas debate
Old 06-23-12, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

What can I say, I liked it...a lot. They've taken Lincoln and turned him into a semi-superhero, but much of the "real" Lincoln is still up there on screen. The bigger History buff you are, the more you're going to enjoy this movie...they've tweaked things a little here for purposes of screen time (sadly, no Ann Rutledge, and you'd never know the Lincolns had any other children but Willie if your only exposure to him was this film)...but considering they cover his life from young adult to the presidency, they did a pretty good job.

The movie is an R, but has very much a PG-13 feel to it. Nothing TOO gory or sexual in the film and by no means a "hard" R.

Those looking for action sequences will probably be the most disappointed. Yes, there are a number of scenes with Abe taking on vamps, but they're heavily CGI'd and - for me - the least appealing parts of the film. It's the rest of the movie that I enjoyed the most...and I'm guessing fans of the book (which also was more about history than Abe fighting vamps) will enjoy the most as well.

I give it a B+

Last edited by Shannon Nutt; 06-23-12 at 03:07 PM.
Old 06-24-12, 02:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mdc3000
I don't need my movies to have a history lesson in them, but if you knew nothing about Lincoln going in, you'd know even less coming out. I enjoyed it overall, but it felt like a string of videogame cutscenes - cool visuals, horrible dialogue and not a single character you cared about or moment that held any weight whatsoever. The 3D was fine but where I saw it, the projection was dark and the desaturated look of much of it got annoying to me - I wish it had been a bit more FUN. It's so sombre and never badass enough to justify going that route. I thought the end credit sequence was better than the 115 minutes that came before it.

What was the end credits sequence? I ALWAYS stay till the end of movies and 98% of the time there's never anything.

After i saw this today we wanted to stay and relax in our seats for the credits but everyone left and we were the only people left and the cleanup people looked like they were waiting just for us...

So it kinda made it awkward so we left, and there actually WAS something? ARG!

Not cool!
Old 06-24-12, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jonno2006
What was the end credits sequence? I ALWAYS stay till the end of movies and 98% of the time there's never anything.

After i saw this today we wanted to stay and relax in our seats for the credits but everyone left and we were the only people left and the cleanup people looked like they were waiting just for us...

So it kinda made it awkward so we left, and there actually WAS something? ARG!

Not cool!
I didn't stay either, but I'm assuming it was a scene that showed
Spoiler:
Abe Lincoln was still "alive" as a vampire
since that's how the book ends.
Old 06-24-12, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The Internet says there is nothing after the credits, which is why we didn't stick around. What was the scene?

There were massive changes from the book, most likely in the interest of expediency. The book is quite dense and spends time introducing characters the movie just couldn't afford. Once I got on board with that, it was a fun ride. You don't see a lot of axe spinning in movies, so that was always fun to watch. It's pretty much "go go go" from the beginning and Walker does a good job portraying Lincoln through the years.

All in all it was a fun little action flick which is all I wanted.
Old 06-24-12, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

According to Wikipedia:

Spoiler:
Over a century later, in modern times, Sturgess locates a young man at a bar in Washington, D.C. and approaches him in the same way he once approached Lincoln, revealing that he's still alive and training vampire hunters.

So they don't use the ending of the book.
Old 06-24-12, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Oh, that wasn't post credits. It's just the last scene in the movie.
Old 06-24-12, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, every one sees that scene...that's a pre-credits scene. The "implication" is there that it's Lincoln. Or maybe Obama.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.