Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

George Lucas Rapes Your Childhood: Episode VII in 3D (Weekend Box Office: 2/10-2/13)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

George Lucas Rapes Your Childhood: Episode VII in 3D (Weekend Box Office: 2/10-2/13)

Old 02-10-12, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: George Lucas Rapes Your Childhood: Episode VII in 3D (Weekend Box Office: 2/10-2/

/\Who let you in????
Old 02-10-12, 11:02 PM

Re: George Lucas Rapes Your Childhood: Episode VII in 3D (Weekend Box Office: 2/10-2/

That should say TPM (The Phantom Menace)
Old 02-10-12, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Um, well, this is a development.

Originally Posted by Deadline
FRIDAY 6:30 PM, 2ND UPDATE: My source are telling me about much bigger-than-expected midnights and matinees and now nights. Hang on for a wild ride because Hollywood is holding its collective breath to see whether the North American box office can open three major movies to $30+ million on a non-holiday weekend. Studio execs raced to check stats if this has ever happened before – and it hasn’t. As it is they hoped four major movies could debut to $20+ million on this non-holiday weekend. For certain, that’s never been done before.* Now it’s unlikely. But I for one am relieved not to write the word ‘slump’ when it comes to 2012.

There are real surprises so far today: Sony Pictures/Screen Gems’ The Vow was expected to be the certain frontrunner. It’s even stronger than projected. The PG-13 romantic tearjerker starring Channing Tatum and Rachel McAdams took in $700K in midnight shows. It should have its best night Friday (aka Date Night). But now Universal’s R-rated actioner Safe House also is wildly overperforming and could become another weekend winner for reliable Denzel Washington after adding $542K in midnights. LucasFilm/Fox’s Star Wars 3D: Episode I – Phantom Menace soared in matinees just as it did in $1.1M midnights. But most of that was pre-sales and tonight its momentum is slowing towards $30M. Fanboys wanted to be first in line for this latest version of 1999′s much derided prequel. Can regular moviegoers tolerate Jar Jar Binks again? It all depends on how frontloaded this wild card winds up. Warner Bros’ PG-rated Journey 2: The Mysterious Island has already opened better-than-expected overseas with $50M and will reach high teens in the U.S. and Canada unless the strong box office carries it to a bigger finish. Stay tuned.

*For the record, on the 2008 holiday weekend December 26-28, all four movies opened the day before on Christmas and all four enjoyed $20+M openings in the three-day weekend: Fox’s Marley And Me ($36.4M), Disney’s Bedtime Stories ($27.4), Paramount’s Benjamin Button ($26.9M), and MGM/UA’s Valkyrie ($21M).

Here are Friday/weekend projections right now from my sources which will refine later tonight:

1. Safe House (Universal) NEW [3,119 Theaters]
Estimated Friday $14M, Estimated Weekend $38M

1. The Vow (Screen Gems/Sony) NEW [2,958 Theaters]
Estimated Friday $13M, Estimated Weekend $36M

3. Star Wars 3D: Episode I – Phantom Menace (LucasFilm/Fox) NEW [2,655 Theaters]
Estimated Friday $12M, Estimated Weekend $28M

4. Journey 2: The Mysterious Island (Warner Bros) NEW [3,470 Theaters]
Estimated Friday $5M, Estimated Weekend $18M
1. I'm geniunely surprised Safe House is going to make nearly $40 million.

2. I'm geniuenly surprised The Vow is going to make nearly $40 million.

3. I'm genuinely surprised based upon Deadline's estimates, Star Wars is meant to crash and burn after this morning's decent midnight turnout. When I looked earlier tonight, Deadline had it pegged at a $32 million weekend.

4. Journey 2: The Mysterious Island is on track for an $18 million opening weekend? Yeah, no surprises there. At least it only cost Warner $80 million to produce and foreign grosses have already put it in the black.

5. Did you know that Brian and Mark Gunn (brothers of James Gunn) wrote Journey 2? Fuck, I kind of want to see it now based upon the fact I love 2Gether. THANKS MOVIEPASS!

I'm curious to how much Lucas' return to the well cost to convert into 3D. Cameron and Pace spent nearly $18 million to convert Titanic into 3D and that process took a year and a half (it's done and there's private sneak previews happening across the country on Valentine's Day) whereas Lucasfilm only spent the past year (if not less) working on the Episode I convert. I wonder what's the magic number Fox and Lucasfilm are looking for to give the green light to the Episode II conversion.

Either way, a $30 million opening weekend for the re-release of a film that's universally recognized as a piece of shit is solid.
Old 02-11-12, 12:27 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Terrell View Post
Oh God, do we really need insipid comments like this? So Lucas raped your childhood, so you want him to get cancer? Really? You know, karma is a bitch. If I were you I wouldn't wish for things like other people getting cancer.
Old 02-11-12, 03:57 AM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by HollywoodLights View Post
I just got home from seeing the movie with a group of friends. Before I say another word I need you to undertand I am very biased, as Star Wars: TMP was one of the first films I saw in theaters when I was little so it has always had a soft spot in my heart.

As an actor and aspiring director I see the issues with the film, mainly in Jake Lloyd. I also do think that Jar Jar is a bit annoying although I still find most of his bits quite funny.
If you are an aspiring actor and director, please use TPM as a reference of what not to do, along with The Room, Birdemic, and Manos: The Hands of Fate.
Old 02-11-12, 04:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
If you are an aspiring actor and director, please use TPM as a reference of what not to do, along with The Room, Birdemic, and Manos: The Hands of Fate.
Yes, those are all movies that people enjoy, so please don't do anything like that.
Old 02-11-12, 05:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My wife wants to see The Vow. I keep telling her that if she were in an accident and woke up in the hospital to say, "Who are you?", that I'd be like, "Sorry, wrong room!" and live happily ever the fuck after.
Old 02-11-12, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Terrell View Post
Oh God, do we really need insipid comments like this? So Lucas raped your childhood,
The funny thing is I have never heard one fan actually say the words 'Lucas raped my childhood' on the internet except for the fans who are bashing the fans who supposedly said 'Lucas raped my childhood'

And if Episode I makes 28 million this weekend, then I have to say that SW fans are probably some of the biggest morons out there to go see this shit. Its one thing to take your kids to see it, but if you go see it as an adult without kids just furthers my opinion that Lucas can put out a 2 hour movie of Darth Vader taking a shit on the Death Star and fans will say, "I know, but its still Star Wars!!"
Old 02-11-12, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by mcnabb View Post
The funny thing is I have never heard one fan actually say the words 'Lucas raped my childhood' on the internet except for the fans who are bashing the fans who supposedly said 'Lucas raped my childhood'

And if Episode I makes 28 million this weekend, then I have to say that SW fans are probably some of the biggest morons out there to go see this shit. Its one thing to take your kids to see it, but if you go see it as an adult without kids just furthers my opinion that Lucas can put out a 2 hour movie of Darth Vader taking a shit on the Death Star and fans will say, "I know, but its still Star Wars!!"

Couldn't have said it better....Com'on george, how much more is needed? This should've been...."Do Not Pass Go, Do Not force fans to pay high dollar to see a a 11yr old movie, Do Not come out with a single 3D disc and then followed with another Box Set with 3D only, and Do Not release all the other other episodes in 3D in theaters only. I really like SW in general but this is beyond "Milking The Cow".
Old 02-11-12, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I honestly don't know what Safe House is. I haven't seen a single preview, and usually I see at least one for everything.

I've got to think Fox & Lucas are happy with SW opening to $30m+, but I'm more interested in seeing the 2nd weekend drop.
Old 02-11-12, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Per Deadline: Most recent estimates.

Here are Top Ten numbers which will refine in the morning with full analysis:

1. The Vow (Screen Gems/Sony) NEW [2,958 Theaters]
Est Friday $15.5M, Est Weekend $39M

2. Safe House (Universal) NEW [3,119 Theaters]
Est Friday $15M, Est Weekend $38M

3. Star Wars 3D: Phantom Menace (LucasFilm/Fox) NEW [2,655 Theaters]
Est Friday $8.5M, Est Weekend $22M

4. Journey 2: Mysterious Island 3D (Warner Bros) NEW [3,470 Theaters]
Est Friday $6.5M, Est Weekend $21M

5. Chronicle (Fox) Week 2 [2,908 Theater]
Est Friday $3.5M (-59%), Est Weekend $11M, Est Cume $39M

6. The Woman In Black (CBS Films) Week 2 [2,856 Theaters]
Est Friday $3.4M (-58%), Est Weekend $11M, Est Cume $36.1M

7. The Grey (Open Road) Week 3 [2,801 Theaters]
Est Friday $1.3M, Est Weekend $4.5M, Est Cume $42.4M

8. Big Miracle (Working Title/Universal) Week 2 [2,133 Theaters]
Est Friday $952K (-59%), Est Weekend $3.5M, Est Cume $13M

9. The Descendants (Fox Searchlight) Week 13 [1,581 Theaters]
Est Friday $900K, Est Weekend $3.5M, Est Cume $70.7M

10. One For The Money (Lionsgate) Week 3 [2,056 Theaters]
Est Friday $725K, Est Weekend $2.2M, Est Cume $23.6M
Old 02-11-12, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal View Post
I honestly don't know what Safe House is. I haven't seen a single preview, and usually I see at least one for everything.
I never watch commercials (outside of sports) and I've seen it advertised a bunch when I'm zipping through commercials.
Old 02-11-12, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Episode 1 may be a shitty Star Wars movie but it's a better movie than 90% of the crap out there.
Old 02-11-12, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by rw2516 View Post
Episode 1 may be a shitty Star Wars movie but it's a better movie than 90% of the crap out there.
I file it squarely with that 90% of the crap out there, it's just a shitty movie. Boring, uninvolving, drawn out, horribly written and terribly acted.

Of course, I also rate Episode II and Episode III and episode VI in that same category of crap, IV and V are at least decent.
Old 02-11-12, 11:12 AM
Banned by request

Episode 1 is a shitty movie, period. It's not the worst movie ever made, but it tries really hard to be.
Old 02-11-12, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 02-11-12, 11:43 AM
Banned

Wrong.
Old 02-11-12, 11:44 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose View Post
My wife wants to see The Vow. I keep telling her that if she were in an accident and woke up in the hospital to say, "Who are you?", that I'd be like, "Sorry, wrong room!" and live happily ever the fuck after.
Sounds like a lucky woman.
Old 02-11-12, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My kid loves Star Wars but I asked him if he wanted to go see it this weekend and he said that he would rather go see Journey 2. Not sure if I won or lost with that decision.

His reasoning is that he has already seen SW and would rather see something different.
Old 02-11-12, 01:08 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by LosingMyMind View Post
Yes, those are all movies that people enjoy, so please don't do anything like that.
Those are movies people enjoy to make fun of. Not something to aspire to, imo.
Old 02-11-12, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't care if you love Episode I, hate Episode I, whatever tickles yer kishke. But if you went this weekend and shelled out your $$$ to see Episode I in 3D... "because even though you hate it, you HAD to"... you lose any and all justification to bitch about "Luca$ raping your childhood" or whatever other petty Internet bullshit cliches.
Old 02-11-12, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post
I don't care if you love Episode I, hate Episode I, whatever tickles yer kishke. But if you went this weekend and shelled out your $$$ to see Episode I in 3D... "because even though you hate it, you HAD to"... you lose any and all justification to bitch about "Luca$ raping your childhood" or whatever other petty Internet bullshit cliches.

Well said.
Old 02-11-12, 09:18 PM
Banned by request

A friend of mine wanted to see it. I gave him free passes to my theater so Lucas wouldn't get the cash.
Old 02-11-12, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The hell I do!!1!

Old 02-11-12, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^You aint no bandleader!

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.