Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Les Misérables (Dir : Tom Hooper) - Dec 7, 2012

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Les Misérables (Dir : Tom Hooper) - Dec 7, 2012

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-12, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Re: Les Misérables (Dir : Tom Hooper) - Dec 7, 2012

Didn't think this belonged in the review thread. "One Day More" in it's entirety.

<iframe src="http://broadwayworld.com/videoembed.php?colid=439556" frameBorder=0 width=640 scrolling=no height=480></iframe>
Old 12-19-12, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by The Valeyard
Didn't think this belonged in the review thread. "One Day More" in it's entirety.

<iframe src="http://broadwayworld.com/videoembed.php?colid=439556" frameBorder=0 width=640 scrolling=no height=480></iframe>
Love the play but that's something you can't do on stage.

Last edited by movielib; 12-19-12 at 04:07 PM.
Old 12-19-12, 11:26 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

^ eh... the voices sound pushed waaaay to forward from the 'music score' and some of them don't seem to be singing in the right tempo....
Old 12-19-12, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by Mad Dawg
It looks like some AMC theaters are doing early showings at 10 PM on Christmas Eve. Very excited to get the wait over with, so we might jump on that.
I somehow missed the Stubz email/news, but there was a screening of this for Stubz members last night.
Old 12-19-12, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's "AMC Stubs". If we had to call it "Stubz" I might have killed myself by now. "AMC: We're from the streets"

Yeah, we've been OK'd to do 10pm shows because the Christmas Eve midnights, though always fervently requested by moviegoers, never do very well at the box office, and the studios are taking notice. I'm surprised we're doing 10pm shows and not 9pm, to be honest. I don't believe we've been given the OK yet for Django Unchained, but surely Parental Guidance will be just what you're looking for at 10pm on Christmas Eve...
Old 12-19-12, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by DonnachaOne
It's "AMC Stubs". If we had to call it "Stubz" I might have killed myself by now. "AMC: We're from the streets"

Yeah, we've been OK'd to do 10pm shows because the Christmas Eve midnights, though always fervently requested by moviegoers, never do very well at the box office, and the studios are taking notice. I'm surprised we're doing 10pm shows and not 9pm, to be honest. I don't believe we've been given the OK yet for 'Django Unchained', but surely 'Parental Guidance' will be just what you're looking for at 10pm on Christmas Eve...
... oops... must be 'a thang' and on my mind with some recent album purchases from bands with the names: Boys Noize and Catz and Dogz
Old 12-19-12, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Giles
^ eh... the voices sound pushed waaaay to forward from the 'music score' and some of them don't seem to be singing in the right tempo....
The tempo thing could be caused by the live singing aspect. Since they are obviously in different places, they must have had to do this in pieces on different days and edit everything together. In the featurette they showed how a pianist would play the song and the actor would sing to that. A human is not going to play the music at exactly the same tempo every time, which is okay for individual songs but would cause problems with this one. However, one would think they'd have a metronome for consistency or just have the music pre-recorded for this song.

Although, Hugh Jackman sounds like he may be doing a bit of a Willie Nelson thing where he's not singing with the beat.

As for the forward voices, I hope it will sound better with more audio channels. This clip sounds like it's in mono, so maybe the instruments come through better in stereo/surround?
Old 12-20-12, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by Drexl
The tempo thing could be caused by the live singing aspect. Since they are obviously in different places, they must have had to do this in pieces on different days and edit everything together. In the featurette they showed how a pianist would play the song and the actor would sing to that. A human is not going to play the music at exactly the same tempo every time, which is okay for individual songs but would cause problems with this one. However, one would think they'd have a metronome for consistency or just have the music pre-recorded for this song.

Although, Hugh Jackman sounds like he may be doing a bit of a Willie Nelson thing where he's not singing with the beat.

As for the forward voices, I hope it will sound better with more audio channels. This clip sounds like it's in mono, so maybe the instruments come through better in stereo/surround?
I really hope so too. I'm assuming since Universal is releasing this in 5.1 and 7.1 (for those theaters that are equipped to playback a feature as such) the final mix will sound fuller and less 'raw'.
Old 12-20-12, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Saw this last night and I think I'm going to put in in my top ten favorite musical movies of all time. I've seen the play about 7 times over the past 25 years (most recently last July) and the DVDs of the 10th and 25 anniversary concerts dozens of times so I'm pretty familiar with the show.

I think the movie only had a couple of faults, one was the overuse of closeups. I wasn't a fan of the POV shots that put you into the character's place so the ensemble was singing directly to you...the audience. It struck me as odd. I also thought Russell Crowe was the wink link in the movie, but I did get used to him as the movie went on. I think most every version of the show, I've seen tall imposing scary as hell Javerts, and Crowe didn't seem very intimidating, although I know in real life he'd throw a phone at your head if you looked at him the wrong way. His rock style didn't quite fit well with the rest of the cast and that was jarring at times. I also wasn't a fan of the new song written for the film because it didn't match the style of any of the music at all, so it really stood out.

The plusses were many. Anne Hathaway's 3-minute one shot "I Dreamed a Dream" is one of the most mesmerizing performances that I've seen on film this year. All it needed was the "OSCAR CLIP" sign flashing underneath it like in "Wayne's World". Hugh Jackman was as great as I expected him to be, and I really thought the rest of the cast was top notch as well. There are a lot of great moments in the film like the "One Day More" shown above.

I was worried when I saw the trailers that this was going to be some hybrid talking/singing movie like "Rent" but I'm glad that most of the film (about 98%) was singing like the stage version. I think the trailer had me worried for no reason. If you're not a fan of musicals, you'll most likely not like this film because it's continuous music. When I first saw it on stage, I thought it was like watching an Opera (except I understood every word for a change). It's a pretty faithful translation to the screen aside from a couple of rearrangements of songs and the addition of the new song. Tom Hooper did what should be done with movie musicals, but expanding it for the big screen. There are some epic set pieces and that barricade is a sight to behold.

I look forward to seeing this again when it comes out next week. I have a feeling that when it comes out of Blu-ray it'll be played often.
Old 12-20-12, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Originally Posted by Roybq
Saw this last night and I think I'm going to put in in my top ten favorite musical movies of all time. I've seen the play about 7 times over the past 25 years (most recently last July) and the DVDs of the 10th and 25 anniversary concerts dozens of times so I'm pretty familiar with the show.

I think the movie only had a couple of faults, one was the overuse of closeups. I wasn't a fan of the POV shots that put you into the character's place so the ensemble was singing directly to you...the audience. It struck me as odd. I also thought Russell Crowe was the wink link in the movie, but I did get used to him as the movie went on. I think most every version of the show, I've seen tall imposing scary as hell Javerts, and Crowe didn't seem very intimidating, although I know in real life he'd throw a phone at your head if you looked at him the wrong way. His rock style didn't quite fit well with the rest of the cast and that was jarring at times. I also wasn't a fan of the new song written for the film because it didn't match the style of any of the music at all, so it really stood out.

The plusses were many. Anne Hathaway's 3-minute one shot "I Dreamed a Dream" is one of the most mesmerizing performances that I've seen on film this year. All it needed was the "OSCAR CLIP" sign flashing underneath it like in "Wayne's World". Hugh Jackman was as great as I expected him to be, and I really thought the rest of the cast was top notch as well. There are a lot of great moments in the film like the "One Day More" shown above.

I was worried when I saw the trailers that this was going to be some hybrid talking/singing movie like "Rent" but I'm glad that most of the film (about 98%) was singing like the stage version. I think the trailer had me worried for no reason. If you're not a fan of musicals, you'll most likely not like this film because it's continuous music. When I first saw it on stage, I thought it was like watching an Opera (except I understood every word for a change). It's a pretty faithful translation to the screen aside from a couple of rearrangements of songs and the addition of the new song. Tom Hooper did what should be done with movie musicals, but expanding it for the big screen. There are some epic set pieces and that barricade is a sight to behold.

I look forward to seeing this again when it comes out next week. I have a feeling that when it comes out of Blu-ray it'll be played often.
Reviews thread
Old 12-20-12, 05:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

I'm not familiar with the musical at all. Are there any dance numbers in it? If you can assure me that there's a massive tap dance by the Paris Commune down the Champs Elysee, then I will sooooo be there!
Old 12-20-12, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sorry. I was hoping they'd shake it up and do a Chorus Line at some point, but there's no dancing set to the songs sung by the main characters. Sorry about throwing a review in this thread, I was just going to throw out some thoughts and I got carried away.
Old 12-20-12, 05:23 PM

Sorry. I was hoping they'd shake it up and do a Chorus Line at some point, but there's no dancing set to the songs sung by the main characters. Sorry about throwing a review in this thread, I was just going to throw out some thoughts and I got carried away.
this screams out massive dance number with every cast member and extra in the vein of 'Oliver!' - some of those musical numbers were over (over) the top... and THAT won an Oscar for best film of the year
Old 12-20-12, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Very annoyed that Mother Jones (as well as a handful of bothered movie-goers) have decided to make an issue out of:

Spoiler:
Gavroche being shot in Les Mis, and Universal to this point not warning people or altering the movie in light of the Newtown killings.

http://www.motherjones.com/mixed-med...chool-shooting

Old 12-20-12, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Mad Dawg
Very annoyed that Mother Jones (as well as a handful of bothered movie-goers) have decided to make an issue out of:

Spoiler:
Gavroche being shot in Les Mis, and Universal to this point not warning people or altering the movie in light of the Newtown killings.

http://www.motherjones.com/mixed-med...chool-shooting

oh please ... really if you haven't seen the stage (or even read the book) and you don't know this fact, you're a bit dense.
Old 12-20-12, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Giles
oh please ... really if you haven't seen the stage (or even read the book) and you don't know this fact, you're a bit dense.
I'm glad Universal didn't alter that scene. It's important to the book/show/movie.
Old 12-20-12, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

They should just digitally remove all the deaths from the movie just in case someone might get offended.
Old 12-20-12, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not sure how long this will last, but the soundtrack is available now for only $5 at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Les-Misérables...=nosim/dvdtalk
Old 12-21-12, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I purchased it, and installed Amazons MP3 downloader, but I don't see any downloads starting...

One thing I do like after listening to the samples at iTunes - I like Russell Crowe's version of Stars. It's not as loud as it's sung on the stage versions I've heard, but he makes it work for his voice.

Last edited by bdshort; 12-21-12 at 01:57 AM.
Old 12-21-12, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Sorry about throwing a review in this thread, I was just going to throw out some thoughts and I got carried away.
That's understandable, though a few thoughts after seeing the movie are also welcome in the reviews thread. You can also copy your review over to there.

Originally Posted by bdshort
One thing I do like after listening to the samples at iTunes - I like Russell Crowe's version of Stars. It's not as loud as it's sung on the stage versions I've heard, but he makes it work for his voice.
Spoiler:
That's pretty much how I felt about Crowe's solos: Different, but they worked for me.
Old 12-21-12, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

At the End of the Day:

<object id="sbPlayer" width="620" height="345" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" classid="clsid27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000"><param name="movie" value="http://www.springboardplatform.com/mediaplayer/springboard/video/hypb001/907/628993/"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.springboardplatform.com/mediaplayer/springboard/video/hypb001/907/628993/" width="620" height="345" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" wmode="transparent"></embed></object>
Old 12-22-12, 12:15 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Shoot, with all the clips being released I'll be able to piece together the whole movie before it ever makes it to the local theater.

I just listened to the soundtrack, and liked it quite a bit. Crowe was more impressive to me than he was in the clips I'd seen, so that's good.
Old 12-22-12, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

New On My Own Samantha Barks-centric trailer:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xdpg1Yzv1YA?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 12-25-12, 01:04 AM
DVD & Video Game Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just got back from seeing this. It was really, REALLY good. Hugh Jackman and Anne Hathaway are incredible in it (Anne Hathaway gives the performance of a lifetime, I think). Russell Crowe abso-freaking-lutely sucks. He's the only reason I'd say the film stumbles a bit. Absolutely no emotion and dude can't sing.

If you like the musical then you'll love this.
Old 12-26-12, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

This did $18 million on Christmas Day.