Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Les Misérables (Dir : Tom Hooper) - Dec 7, 2012

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Les Misérables (Dir : Tom Hooper) - Dec 7, 2012

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-12, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
Re: Les Misérables (Dir : Tom Hooper) - Dec 7, 2012

Originally Posted by lamphorn
I've been looking forward to this like crazy, but the clips have me a little worried. I love musicals and really love Les Miserables... but the draw is the music, the singing, and the wedding of a dramatic story to full-blown vocal performances. It appears in these clips that the actors are kinda too used to film acting and are trying to get all Brando on this material. This material is stylized and meant to be sung, not stuttered and whispered. They're breaking into speech! "Who Am I" is more monologue than song here, and it just doesn't work for me.

Either drop the music and let the actors talk or make them be disciplined and sing this shit! The odd hybrid of talk-singing is jarring and self-indulgent. Everytime the actor breaks the song to mutter or insert a pause that doesn't exist in the song, he or she is cutting off the building catharsis of the scene. In truth, I'm not blaming the actors. It's their job to try everything and be intuitive, but the director and editor should use better judgment.

That said, "At the End of the Day" sounds good because it's got a chorus of actual disciplined singers behind it. Although, Anne Hathaway is doing too much fidgeting while the others are singing. She's a great film actress, but on stage you learn how to be present and listen and not always have to be "acting" with little bits of "expressed" emotion. Just chill, chica, and let your eyes do the work.
I had the same response. Hugh Jackman's a better singer than this "Who Am I?" clip makes him out to be, right? None of the male singers I've heard so far sound particularly good. Javert has had gruff deliveries before, so that might be ok. But Redmayne sounds like Kermit the Frog (even the Jonas brother sounded better).

But ... they're only advance clips, that may not even reflect what those scenes in the movie are like. And advance screenings have been positive. So I'm still seeing this early with optimism.
Old 12-05-12, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mad Dawg
Oh god don't remind my ears of Brosnan. The more I've watched the parole clip, the more I like Crowe's voice.

The premiere is happening in London right now, so we should hear more reactions in an hour or so. There's a print review embargo, but I'm not sure when it ends.
I read the embargo goes to Dec 11.
Old 12-05-12, 08:59 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by brainee
I had the same response. Hugh Jackman's a better singer than this "Who Am I?" clip makes him out to be, right? None of the male singers I've heard so far sound particularly good. Javert has had gruff deliveries before, so that might be ok. But Redmayne sounds like Kermit the Frog (even the Jonas brother sounded better).

But ... they're only advance clips, that may not even reflect what those scenes in the movie are like. And advance screenings have been positive. So I'm still seeing this early with optimism.
yes, he's the only actor in the bunch who's been in Broadway/West End 'musicals' ('The Boy from Oz'/'Oklahoma!' [revival])
Old 12-06-12, 02:56 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some early reactions starting to pop up on Twitter:

emma freud ‏@emmafreud
#lesmis most extraordinary moving amazing glorious movie experience of all time. Am in Shock and awe.10 rounds of applause DURING the film.

westendproducer ‏@westendproducer
And huge congratulations to Cameron - who against all odds believed in #LesMis when others didn't. This is his crowning glory. Bravo, #dear

westendproducer ‏@westendproducer
The performances are raw, natural, enchanting. And it sounds epic. The best musical film of all time? I think possibly so. #dear #LesMis

VOGUE.CO.UK ‏@BritishVogue
Huge whoops and cheering as the credits roll up at the end of @lesmiserables premiere. Truly epic. #LesMis

Kevin McCarthy ‏@bdkreviews
#LesMiserables is a true cinematic revolution..Anne Hathaway gives the best performance from an actress in 2012..live singing does wonders!
Old 12-06-12, 08:42 AM

The way I look at it, Les Miserables on film is a whole different world than Les Miserables on stage. Editing, quick change of scenery location, etc ... it can all happen in the film version without the music needed to tie everything together into continuous motion. The actors don't need to belt lines because the camera can better catch quiet moments and a more subtle demeanor. I tend to think that each person's favorite "cast" is generally the one they first heard, and even when you see the stage play, differences are jarring at first as a line is changed or tempo is modified slightly. It is my hope that once Look Down is over, I'll have bought into the film's world.
Old 12-06-12, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by silentbob007
The way I look at it, Les Miserables on film is a whole different world than Les Miserables on stage. Editing, quick change of scenery location, etc ... it can all happen in the film version without the music needed to tie everything together into continuous motion. The actors don't need to belt lines because the camera can better catch quiet moments and a more subtle demeanor. I tend to think that each person's favorite "cast" is generally the one they first heard, and even when you see the stage play, differences are jarring at first as a line is changed or tempo is modified slightly. It is my hope that once Look Down is over, I'll have bought into the film's world.
I agree, and I think the musical film version 'The Producers' demonstrated that it didn't need to be like the stage version verboten, Lane and Broderick were still singing (and overacting) to the folk in the back of the balcony ... in the film version(!) Les Miz the film version will be different and I think with the camera so close to the performers, performances will feel less stagey and more intimate.
Old 12-06-12, 01:11 PM

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/f...es-review.html

Do you hear the people sing? Stand outside any cinema in just over one month’s time and you will. Tom Hooper’s screen adaptation of Les Misérables is a heart-soaring, crowd-delighting hit-in-waiting: the Mamma Mia it’s all right to like.
This adaptation of the long-running stage musical, itself based on Victor Hugo’s epic tale of romance and revolution in 19th century France, is Hooper’s first film since The King’s Speech (2010). It is as broad and sturdy as the shoulders of its twinkling-eyed star Hugh Jackman, who plays the reformed thief Jean Valjean – yet amid the bombast, it comes as close as a £40 million musical can to intimacy, thanks in part to an extraordinarily deeply-felt performance by Anne Hathaway as Fantine, a seamstress who falls into prostitution.
Everything about the film is enormous, from Claude-Michel Schönberg’s cannon-fire score to its bladder-twitching two-hour, 40-minute running time. Every last frame is rocket-launched at the back row of the cinema.

As in the stage production of Les Misérables, most of the dialogue is sung, not spoken, and Hooper’s masterstroke is to treat it as speech, not singing. The cast’s vocal performances were recorded on set as live rather than lip-synched to studio tapes, and this gives the music a vital, corporeal presence within the film: it’s like watching real,physical stuntwork instead of computer-generated trickery.
This also allows Hooper’s camera to zero in on his performers’ faces during the big, tremulous, heartfelt numbers, which in Les Misérables is all of them. When Russell Crowe’s Javert wrestles with his iron conscience, we can see the struggle behind his eyes. Eddie Redmayne and Amanda Seyfried play the lovers Marius and Cosette, and their duets are a miraculous clash of pouts and cheekbones.

Isabelle Allen and Daniel Huttlestone will thaw hearts as the young Cosette and the street urchin Gavroche, while Helena Bonham Carter and Sacha Baron Cohen play it grotesquely, even Burtonesquely broad as the villainous Thénardiers.
But the showstopper is Hathaway. When she half-sings, half-sobs I Dreamed A Dream, hair cropped and eyes shining like Maria Falconetti, Hooper captures her performance in a single, unblinking, breath-catching close-up. This will be the clip they show before she wins her Oscar.

Les Misérables is only Hooper’s fourth feature, and his directorial style is still bedding in: some big, comic-book camera angles feel a touch over-egged, as does the extraordinarily shallow focus he uses in close-up. But he marshals the spectacle so spectacularly that it hardly matters. Hooper’s screenwriter William Nicholson (Shadowlands) has judiciously tinkered with the song order, which makes Les Misérables feel not only definitive, but utterly cinematic. You leave with not one song in your heart, but ten.
Old 12-06-12, 01:15 PM

Do you hear the people sing? Stand outside any cinema in just over one month’s time and you will. Tom Hooper’s screen adaptation of Les Misérables is a heart-soaring, crowd-delighting hit-in-waiting: the Mamma Mia it’s all right to like.
This adaptation of the long-running stage musical, itself based on Victor Hugo’s epic tale of romance and revolution in 19th century France, is Hooper’s first film since The King’s Speech (2010). It is as broad and sturdy as the shoulders of its twinkling-eyed star Hugh Jackman, who plays the reformed thief Jean Valjean – yet amid the bombast, it comes as close as a £40 million musical can to intimacy, thanks in part to an extraordinarily deeply-felt performance by Anne Hathaway as Fantine, a seamstress who falls into prostitution.
Everything about the film is enormous, from Claude-Michel Schönberg’s cannon-fire score to its bladder-twitching two-hour, 40-minute running time. Every last frame is rocket-launched at the back row of the cinema.

As in the stage production of Les Misérables, most of the dialogue is sung, not spoken, and Hooper’s masterstroke is to treat it as speech, not singing. The cast’s vocal performances were recorded on set as live rather than lip-synched to studio tapes, and this gives the music a vital, corporeal presence within the film: it’s like watching real,physical stuntwork instead of computer-generated trickery.
This also allows Hooper’s camera to zero in on his performers’ faces during the big, tremulous, heartfelt numbers, which in Les Misérables is all of them. When Russell Crowe’s Javert wrestles with his iron conscience, we can see the struggle behind his eyes. Eddie Redmayne and Amanda Seyfried play the lovers Marius and Cosette, and their duets are a miraculous clash of pouts and cheekbones.

Isabelle Allen and Daniel Huttlestone will thaw hearts as the young Cosette and the street urchin Gavroche, while Helena Bonham Carter and Sacha Baron Cohen play it grotesquely, even Burtonesquely broad as the villainous Thénardiers.
But the showstopper is Hathaway. When she half-sings, half-sobs I Dreamed A Dream, hair cropped and eyes shining like Maria Falconetti, Hooper captures her performance in a single, unblinking, breath-catching close-up. This will be the clip they show before she wins her Oscar.

Les Misérables is only Hooper’s fourth feature, and his directorial style is still bedding in: some big, comic-book camera angles feel a touch over-egged, as does the extraordinarily shallow focus he uses in close-up. But he marshals the spectacle so spectacularly that it hardly matters. Hooper’s screenwriter William Nicholson (Shadowlands) has judiciously tinkered with the song order, which makes Les Misérables feel not only definitive, but utterly cinematic. You leave with not one song in your heart, but ten.
what? this isn't expected? they were both in Sweeney Todd.
Old 12-06-12, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

http://blogs.indiewire.com/thompsono...ostHeaderPanel

Anne Thompson includes some early review excerpts in her column on this film. Go to page 2.
Old 12-06-12, 04:48 PM

http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117948874/
As a faithful rendering of a justly beloved musical, "Les Miserables" will more than satisfy the show's legions of fans. Even so, director Tom Hooper and the producers have taken a number of artistic liberties with this lavish bigscreen interpretation: The squalor and upheaval of early 19th-century France are conveyed with a vividness that would have made Victor Hugo proud, heightened by the raw, hungry intensity of the actors' live oncamera vocals. Yet for all its expected highs, the adaptation has been managed with more gusto than grace; at the end of the day, this impassioned epic too often topples beneath the weight of its own grandiosity.
Old 12-06-12, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

They make it sound like the guy is Terrence Malick, making his triumphant return to film making after decades of seclusion. Christ, it was two years ago! How many films was he supposed to release in that time?
Old 12-06-12, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
They make it sound like the guy is Terrence Malick, making his triumphant return to film making after decades of seclusion. Christ, it was two years ago! How many films was he supposed to release in that time?
What are they supposed to say? It is his first film since The King's Speech. That's just a statement of a fact and is significant if for no other reason than he won an Oscar for the last film he directed.
Old 12-06-12, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
What are they supposed to say? It is his first film since The King's Speech. That's just a statement of a fact and is significant if for no other reason than he won an Oscar for the last film he directed.
Something that I don't find so amusing. Lighten up.
Old 12-06-12, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 450 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by Giles
I agree, and I think the musical film version 'The Producers' demonstrated that it didn't need to be like the stage version verboten, Lane and Broderick were still singing (and overacting) to the folk in the back of the balcony ... in the film version(!)
I think you mean "verbatim"?
Old 12-06-12, 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by Todd B.
I think you mean "verbatim"?
yeah... that.
Old 12-07-12, 07:14 PM

It turns out that I'm unable to see this until several days after the release ... so the question I'm asking myself is, do I but the soundtrack to get acclimated to the voices, or do I go in cold? Hmmmm.
Old 12-08-12, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Is the ST ever coming out? I imagined we wouldn't get it in advance like typical musicals since this was done live.
Old 12-08-12, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The "Highlights" from the soundtrack releases the day after Christmas. No full soundtrack is up for preorder yet.
Old 12-08-12, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Maybe Best Buy or Target will have an exclusive Full Soundtrack version? Wasn't something like that done before? Across the Universe, maybe?
Old 12-08-12, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Boo. Could've gone to a screening this week but I'm not back in the US yet.
Old 12-08-12, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Featurette with snippets from the original song, "Suddenly":

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/FenjTgqaQ6Q?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 12-08-12, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

I like this featurette on the costume design.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/jd5ffc48RJU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Also, it's weird how the word on this film has done such a big 180. Now the negative reviews are coming out of the woodworks and the early Metacritic is a fairly dismal 55. This at the same time ZDT has been flooded with glorious ecstatic reviews. In the past week Les Miz has gone from Oscar front-runner to long shot. I'm still very much looking forward to this film (and so is my daughter who can't wait), but it is funny how quickly the perception has changed.
Old 12-09-12, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Also, it's weird how the word on this film has done such a big 180. Now the negative reviews are coming out of the woodworks and the early Metacritic is a fairly dismal 55. This at the same time ZDT has been flooded with glorious ecstatic reviews. In the past week Les Miz has gone from Oscar front-runner to long shot. I'm still very much looking forward to this film (and so is my daughter who can't wait), but it is funny how quickly the perception has changed.
Metacritic's only out of 7 so far. Though Rottentomatoes is just an ok score (68% out of 19). Browsing through some of the negative reviews, a lot make the point of trashing the stage version as well (or proclaiming disdain for musicals in general). I think this is going to be one of those movies where you have to take reviews with a giant grain of salt (even more so than normal).

Last edited by brainee; 12-09-12 at 02:50 AM.
Old 12-09-12, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, not a thing in the negative reviews is scaring me at all. Many of them wanted more dialogue, didn't like the stage show, thought it was too long, all things that aren't a problem with me. And given the nastier tone of a couple of the early bad reviews, they had the feel of "balancing" the early praise. We'll have a better idea in a couple of days where the critics will actually land, but my hopes are still high.
Old 12-09-12, 08:57 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah. Some of that bitching in the reviews seems to be well...people being bitches about little things they personally have issues with.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.