Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

X-Men: Days of Future Past (2014, Singer)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

X-Men: Days of Future Past (2014, Singer)

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-12, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
Re: X-Men First Class II (2nd Class?) - Dir: Vaughn

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I don't get it.
watch conan
Old 02-01-12, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
speaking about the daughter from MM. Have you heard her in the commentary? Damn. That little girl is a pro actor or something cuz she really know her character inside and out.
Really? I've gotta check that out, I've listened to parts of some tracks...but there are like 200 million commentaries over the four seasons, must hand it to them for rivaling the Simpsons for supplements.
Old 02-01-12, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast
Yeah and people say her stilted acting helps her character on Mad Men, but I'm like...no it really doesn't, she just sucks.
It does help because the character is never asked to be more than that so she can't "suck." In other roles, it's completely obvious she's not a good actress.
Old 02-01-12, 08:34 AM

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

First Class had its flaws, but I liked it enough to go see a sequel.
Old 02-17-12, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

'X-Men: First Class' Sequel Will Be Magneto-Heavy, Screenwriter Says

Kinberg went on to say that while they're still in the early stages of story-planning, the second film will likely involve a lot more Magneto.

"That’s what was so cool about the first one and what we want to continue," Kinberg said of exploring the supervillain's tortured beginnings. "Magneto becomes the villain ultimately of the franchise but he’s a much more complicated character as a young man. He’s someone you sympathize with, you care about you root for even though might not necessarily agree with his methods, you understand his philosophy."

So with the sequel will Magneto still be bridging the gap between good and bad or will he be a full-on villain?

"We’re still figuring that out. I think the truth is ultimately that because Michael is such an interesting actor, he’ll never be full-on anything. He’ll have a villainous side and he’ll have a sympathetic human side you’ll be able to relate but you’ll also be afraid of him. He becomes Magneto, he says 'Call me Magneto' at the end of the first movie."
http://splashpage.mtv.com/2012/02/16...erg-interview/
Old 02-17-12, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,207 Likes on 2,069 Posts

^ Fassbender is on a super hot streak right now. Having the movie revolve around his character makes sense.

Plus the fact that a rumored Magneto Origin film has been floating around for a few years, I'm not too surprised about that news.
Old 02-17-12, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,809 Likes on 1,129 Posts

Old 02-17-12, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

More Fassbender = more excited for this film.
Old 02-17-12, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Great news about Fassbender.

I hope they fix the costume, though. He looked great in his X-Men costume but the Magneto costume (when he springs Emma Frost) looked cheap and rushed.
Old 02-17-12, 06:21 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the change to his helmet was a bit too rushed. I really like his regular helmet...kinda wished they just changed the color palette and that's it.

Also...It'd be very cool if they could have the movie from his point of view. Wouldn't that be a twist? It won't happen but as a storytelling device I'd like to stick w/ Mags more often.
Old 02-18-12, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
^ Fassbender is on a super hot streak right now. Having the movie revolve around his character makes sense.

Plus the fact that a rumored Magneto Origin film has been floating around for a few years, I'm not too surprised about that news.
I'm pretty sure a lot of that planned film was already worked in to the first movie.
Old 02-20-12, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by Damed
'X-Men: First Class' Sequel Will Be Magneto-Heavy, Screenwriter Says

http://splashpage.mtv.com/2012/02/16...erg-interview/

Magneto was never a good guy nor a bad guy. He just had a way of doing things that made him out to look like a bad guy. This movie shows it. Yes I thought the ending was a little off.

Movie Pass, Ya.
Old 04-08-12, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Fox is saying this will shoot in January. So maybe a late 2013 release, or spring 2014?

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...january-308844
Old 05-31-12, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Now set for 7/18/14.
Old 05-31-12, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
Now set for 7/18/14.
2014 is looking good for Fox with 2 heavyweights in the Apes sequel in May, and this in July. Hopefully Prometheus is a huge hit and they somehow get Scott to finish part 2 in time for 2014.
Old 05-31-12, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I'm pretty sure a lot of that planned film was already worked in to the first movie.
yeah, First Class already functioned as a Magneto origin movie for all intents and purposes.

So with the sequel will Magneto still be bridging the gap between good and bad or will he be a full-on villain?

"We’re still figuring that out.
(Groan). I wish they would start with a story, rather than just crafting a vehicle around the 'it' performer of the moment. I love Fassbender, but the fact they are going into this without a clear narrative destination from the start doesn't fill me with a lot of confidence. Looks like they will be making the same mistake they did with the Singer run and revolving everything around the current fan favorite character/actor. This is a 'team' universe. It shouldn't have been the Wolverine show then and it shouldn't just be the Magneto show now.

Also, the most disappointing aspect about FC for me (aside from January Jones essaying what could have been a scene stealing supporting character) is that they chose to wrap it up with Magneto and Xavier split off at the end.
On the one hand, since we may not have gotten any more films from this premise/timeline/reboot I can understand them shooting their wad in this one- but the conflict and camaraderie between the two worked so well here, that it's a shame that we couldn't have seen the break developed a little more slowly over the course of several films. It would have been wonderful to go into a sequel with them still close and working together- and then see that friendship fracture and finally break. The first film is sufficient in this regard, but it could have had even more impact done in a serial nature over another film or two.

Just watched this again (only my second time) last night and I think this might be my favorite of all the Marvel universe set movies. I certainly enjoyed the Avengers, but this one really delivered the goods for me, balancing a fun silver/bronze age comic book vibe with characters struggling with ethical and moral dilemmas all wrapped in a good speculative sci-fi package.
The only glaring flaws for me were Jones and the fact that, aside from Fassbender, all the hairstyles were anachronistic.
Old 05-31-12, 05:51 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

that and the students' dialogue. They gave those kids the worse lines in the movie.
Old 05-31-12, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

anything in particular stick out for you? I honestly can't remember any of their dialogue being bad enough for me to take note of. Some of it definitely wasn't the strongest, but nothing distracted me the way Jones performance did. There were several times where they cut to the next scene after her lines, and the transition was so muted because of how flat her delivery was.

I'm usually not a fan of recasting characters in serial films, but she wasn't even merely adequate. That character (especially in the costuming she has) should be a scene stealer- all Jones threatens to do is suck all the energy and momentum off the screen whenever she is front and center.
Old 05-31-12, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, Jones was the worst performer in that flick.

Other than her, the only thing that bothered me is how rush the rift between Charles and Xavier felt. They should have left that for the sequel and simply planted the seed in this film.
Old 05-31-12, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Agreed. Same goes for Charles' paralysis.
Old 05-31-12, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yup. That needn't have happened so soon either.
Old 06-01-12, 04:43 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I think the all of the flaws in First Class are summed up by the great character moment of Xavier helping Magneto move the satellite dish and yet the triumphantt is cut short by Byrne yelling out "The president's on TV."

Last edited by gmanca; 06-01-12 at 04:50 AM.
Old 06-02-12, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp

Other than her, the only thing that bothered me is how rush the rift between Charles and Xavier felt. They should have left that for the sequel and simply planted the seed in this film.
But everyone knows that's going to happen, why prolong it?
Old 06-02-12, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gmanca
I think the all of the flaws in First Class are summed up by the great character moment of Xavier helping Magneto move the satellite dish and yet the triumphantt is cut short by Byrne yelling out "The president's on TV."
I thought it was a good movie and look forward to watching it every time it is on HBO.

It could have been a great movie, if they spent more time with the bolded part. While i understand they crammed a lot into the movie and cannot please everyone, the parts that really felt underused were the Xavier/magneto traveling stories. I would have loved to see more about their relationship and the back and forth of their friendship. probably not a very exciting part to an action movie, but really would have elevated the movie.

i look forward to seeing what they do with this sequel.
Old 06-02-12, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
But everyone knows that's going to happen, why prolong it?
Because we already have 3 films where they're against each other and Charles is rocking wheels.

Their dynamic was just as interesting in FC as in the other films, and they should have explored that more rather than get it over with.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.