DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Jones, Refn, or Blomkamp? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/598410-jones-refn-blomkamp.html)

Solid Snake 01-28-12 06:34 PM

Re: Jones, Refn, or Blomkamp?

yeah..."reffin"

Dragon Tattoo 01-28-12 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by Gerry P. (Post 11094190)
You are a very special boy.

Anyway, my vote goes to Refn. If he's excluded, then I'll go for J.J. Abrahms.

Yeah, if the absence of delusion means I'm special, then I'll take it.

BTW, most regular folk haven't seen Drive either.

I know, it's mind-blowing.

bluetoast 01-28-12 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo (Post 11092424)
Unless Drive actually leads to something looks like he'll spend the rest of his life as an under-appreciated indie director.

500 Days of Summer led to Spider-Man somehow, so there's always a chance.

auto 01-28-12 08:28 PM

Who hasn't seen Vanilla Sky like 41 times?

This should be a poll.

Gwindor 01-29-12 04:52 AM

Jeff Nichols?

DonnachaOne 01-29-12 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by auto (Post 11094405)
Who hasn't seen Vanilla Sky like 41 times?

I hear Refn has, one for each year of his life. He's 41, you know. I can't believe no-one's pointed that out (or the fact that he's made more than three films and people have known about him for years - come on, DVDTalkers).

I should start a poll asking what the best black and white film is - King Kong, Citizen Kane or The Wizard of Oz. The Wizard of Oz counts because it starts out black and white and most people in the 50s watched it on black and white TVs, so MY POLL MY RULES dammit

I chose Jones, because I love Moon and Source Code was one of the best films of 2011.

riotinmyskull 01-29-12 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by bluetoast (Post 11094377)
500 Days of Summer led to Spider-Man somehow, so there's always a chance.

isn't he already attached to the LOGAN'S RUN remake?

Solid Snake 01-29-12 07:36 AM

Refn is. And he wants Gosling to do it too. Soooooo I'm game for that too. If this becomes a director/actor pairing..i'm fucking game for that.

Tarantino 01-29-12 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel (Post 11093559)
Find me one person in the midwest, who doesn't spend their free time on movie message boards, who has seen Valhalla Rising.

... and go.

I don't know anyone in the midwest, but I'm heading out there now to take care of this challenge.

Solid Snake 01-29-12 10:17 AM

taking one for the team. Well done, sir.

Dr Mabuse 01-29-12 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC (Post 11094738)
Refn is. And he wants Gosling to do it too. Soooooo I'm game for that too. If this becomes a director/actor pairing..i'm fucking game for that.

Me too.

But remember Refn already has a well established actor/director pairing, that is with Mads.

Mads and Refn launched their careers together.

DonnachaOne 01-29-12 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel (Post 11093559)
Find me one person in the midwest, who doesn't spend their free time on movie message boards, who has seen Valhalla Rising.

... and go.

No problem. Three weeks ago my old boss, who lives in Aurora, asked me if I'd also seen it after he watched it on Netflix.

While being on Netflix Instant is not an assurance that "everyone has seen it", hitherto unaware viewers seem attracted to whatever's new on there, regardless of how obscure it may have been in the theatre; at one point Certified Copy was the number one movie watched on the online service. That young Abbas Kiarostami will go far, you know, after a debut* like that.

*sure, he made a lot of films in Iran, but absolutely no-one has ever watched those, right?