Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Terminator: GENISYS (2015, D: Taylor) S: Emilia Clarke, Jason Clarke, Jai Courtney

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Terminator: GENISYS (2015, D: Taylor) S: Emilia Clarke, Jason Clarke, Jai Courtney

Old 06-26-15, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Terminator: GENISYS (2015, D: Taylor) S: Emilia Clarke, Jason Clarke, Jai Courtne

Originally Posted by RichC2 View Post
They're doing a terrible job advertising this one as well. The current commercials are just "Mom!" "John!" *Boom* "What did they do to you?" "I'll be back." They make no sense and it visually looks terrible.

This is the 5th movie in the franchise and we're still going back to the well of the original, it's has some cool concepts as a franchise, but they seem completely incapable of doing anything interesting with it.
I don't really think there is anymore. The next logical way to go would have been showing the war in the future. Terminator:Salvation underwhelmed though, so they decided to go back to the same well. This really just seems to be a dead franchise.
Old 06-26-15, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Terminator: GENISYS (2015, D: Taylor) S: Emilia Clarke, Jason Clarke, Jai Courtne

This is the 5th movie in the franchise and we're still going back to the well of the original, it's has some cool concepts as a franchise, but they seem completely incapable of doing anything interesting with it.
Salvation had the best chance to really revive this franchise because that was the first Terminator movie set in the future with an adult John Conner and there was a whole new story they could tell, but they had to hire that idiot McG to direct, and its a typical souless summer blockbuster movie.
Old 06-26-15, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Well outside of McG, the script was also shit.

I mean, the duo that wrote it also wrote Primeval, Catwoman, Surrogates, Terminator 3, and The Net. Their one crowning jewel was The Game, and a lot of that was Fincher's directing.
Old 06-26-15, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Well outside of McG, the script was also shit.
No doubt, but the two go hand and hand cause he's never done any movie that is any good. There was so much territory to explore in the post Apocalypse World of The Terminator as I really looked forward to Salvation, and it was an utter disappointment.

But I still say that Cameron would not make a movie like that, as he would have rewrote the script to put some character development in there and a more interesting story while worry less about action scenes. McG, Michael Bay, etc, once I see their names attached to a project, I know it will be crap.
Old 06-26-15, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by inri222 View Post
'Terminator Genisys' Makes 'Terminator Salvation' Look Like 'Terminator 2: Judgment Day'

There is no future, there is no past. Let’s hope this Terminator is the last!

http://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmen...erminator-yet/
It rhymes!
Old 06-26-15, 07:11 PM
Banned by request

I don't care what its RT score is, there's no way this movie is worse than Salvation.
Old 06-26-15, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't put much stock in Rotten Tomatoes anyways. Especially for a film like this that was bound to take a lot of shit in the first place. It seems like a lot of the negativity is stemming from it not being as good as the Cameron films, which if that's what people were expecting they were bound to be let down. Granted I get there will be comparisons due to the nature of the storyline but still those two films are pretty much close to perfect and sequels will likely never live up to them.
Old 06-26-15, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It's up to 40%. The positive reviews are saying it's an okay, albeit lesser, version of the first two movies. The negative reviews just think it's boring.
Old 06-27-15, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

From the Forbes review:

...the surprisingly solid Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines

In Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines, we wondered if Nick Stahl and Claire Danes could stop Judgment Day because we were emotionally invested in the outcome...

...But at least Terminator Salvation tells its own story and thus justifies its existence in the realm of the Terminator franchise.

In the days to come, should I ever want to watch a Terminator film, I might choose one of James Cameron’s first two masterpieces, I might choose Jonathan Mostow’s underrated third entry, or I might even give McG’s future war sequel another shot.

It was a good read but based on his affection for T3, the writer can't dissuade me from wanting to see Genisys. T3 was fun for what it was I guess mostly because of the jokes-half of which was based on knowledge of the previous movie-but it was a horrible Terminator film. It copied the same structure as T2, had an unimaginative new Terminator model/villain and changed the established story for the worst in my opinion.

Genisys seems like it's supposed to be a reboot and sequel at the same time so I would cut it some slack.
Old 06-27-15, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Supermallet View Post
I don't care what its RT score is, there's no way this movie is worse than Salvation.
Agreed...that was the first time since WATERWORLD I came very close to walking out of a movie. It was a snooze. At least this one looks like if it's bad, it at least will be entertainingly awful.
Old 06-27-15, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

At least Waterworld had Dennis Hopper acting crazy. T4 didn't even have that.

I had no idea that Jonathan Nolan did rewrite work on T4.
Old 06-29-15, 05:07 AM

I'm not that invested in this series anymore. I watch the movies and generally enjoy them, but I don't really care. Having said that, the new one just looks terrible. Every trailer, commercial, poster, etc. has been terrible. I will watch it this weekend coming up with an open mind, but I'm not very hopeful.

All I ever really wanted from Terminator was three movies. The second would pick up some time after the first and we'd see Judgement Day and Sarah raising John in the aftermath fighting the machines. Then in the third one, John would lead mankind against Skynet. We'd get to see the final epic battle, Skynet and the time travel machine (kind of like the 3D ride). And the third movie would end with the terminator entering the time machine, and John sending Reese through as well. You could then watch The Terminator and just keep watching all 3 in an endless loop. It would have been beautiful. Instead, we have a mess of a series that I just don't really care about anymore.
Old 06-29-15, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, all the hopefulness seems to be based on love of the franchise and not the actual movie content shown so far. Everything I've seen so far makes T3 look excellent by comparison.

But it goes to show how tough Cameron's job actually is. You're supposed to make convoluted ideas seem extremely simple - not just for the sake of the audience, it's simply better storytelling (it's one of the reasons Being John Malkovich is so highly regarded). Instead we have a clusterfuck of a franchise going.
Old 06-29-15, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138 View Post
At least Waterworld had Dennis Hopper acting crazy. T4 didn't even have that.

Nolan has a screenplay credit on that.
Old 06-29-15, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So I just went into the Arclight queue to check out how the film was selling at our screening for tomorrow and noticed that they have moved it to a smaller screen. Bloody hell. I usually choose the middle row seats in the big theater due to size and now I'm in the middle in the smaller screen. I usually sit in the back in the small screen. It's nowhere near selling out and our show is the first one of the night.

#firstworldproblems
Old 06-29-15, 12:43 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

i have zero interest in seeing this. can/will wait till Netflix or a good blu release...
Old 06-29-15, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138 View Post
I'd like to hear stvn1974's opinion on this.
Old 06-29-15, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

As I recall, Jonathan Nolan was brought in at the last minute to appease Christian Bale's ego. He was cast in the Sam Worthington role. John Connor was meant to be unseen until the end of the movie. Christian Bale demanded that he get to play John Connor instead. Jonathan Nolan was brought in to hastily shoehorn John Connor into an already existing screenplay that had nothing to do with John Connor whatsoever. Then Bale flipped out on the DP while shooting a scene with Bryce Dallas Howard and the rest is history.
Old 06-29-15, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This movie may be a dud, but it appears the 3D presentation is solid.

Terminator Genisys 3D
Old 06-29-15, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RocShemp View Post
As I recall, Jonathan Nolan was brought in at the last minute to appease Christian Bale's ego. He was cast in the Sam Worthington role. John Connor was meant to be unseen until the end of the movie. Christian Bale demanded that he get to play John Connor instead. Jonathan Nolan was brought in to hastily shoehorn John Connor into an already existing screenplay that had nothing to do with John Connor whatsoever. Then Bale flipped out on the DP while shooting a scene with Bryce Dallas Howard and the rest is history.
Pretty much. Bale didn't really want to do the movie to begin with, then wanted to play John Connor, who had a limited role in the original story but since he was to be the star of the movie everybody decided it needed to be an expanded role.

The original storyline sounds just as dull. Trying to re-adapt the story of Christ into the world of Terminators just sounds boring.
Old 06-29-15, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Pretty much. Bale didn't really want to do the movie to begin with, then wanted to play John Connor, who had a limited role in the original story but since he was to be the star of the movie everybody decided it needed to be an expanded role.
I thought Bale signed on for a trilogy of films.
Old 06-29-15, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'd like to hear stvn1974's opinion on this.
T4 is shit and and one of the writers of the Dark Knight films worked on it, what is there that needs to be said.
Old 06-29-15, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I thought Bale signed on for a trilogy of films.
*shrug* probably.
Old 06-29-15, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I am having a colonoscopy on July 1 and then going to see Terminator Genisys. Hopefully I don't feel like I got fisted twice after the film lets out.
Old 06-29-15, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

*shrug* probably.
Halcyon days ahead as Bale signs for Terminator trilogy

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2008...val.festivals6

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.