Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Terminator: GENISYS (2015, D: Taylor) S: Emilia Clarke, Jason Clarke, Jai Courtney

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Terminator: GENISYS (2015, D: Taylor) S: Emilia Clarke, Jason Clarke, Jai Courtney

Old 06-24-15, 03:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 89 Likes on 68 Posts
Re: Terminator: GENISYS (2015, D: Taylor) S: Emilia Clarke, Jason Clarke, Jai Courtne

T3 might not be a very good movie but the crane scene was effing awesome.
Old 06-24-15, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,207 Likes on 927 Posts
Re: Terminator: GENISYS (2015, D: Taylor) S: Emilia Clarke, Jason Clarke, Jai Courtne

First review:

http://www.screendaily.com/reviews/t...089689.article

Spoiler:
The dark, unknowable spectre of the future haunted the original Terminator, but as this man-versus-machine franchise hits 30 years of age, time itself is proving to be the series’ greatest foe. Terminator Genisys is a reasonably entertaining and niftily executed sci-fi action-thriller, and yet its ingenuity and craftsmanship are all in service of justifying its existence, resulting in a sequel that can be appreciated for its cleverness but otherwise regarded with a certain amount of ambivalence.

Director Alan Taylor and screenwriters Laeta Kalogridis and Patrick Lussier have rebooted the franchise by boldly altering the established timeline, dodging and doing loop-de-loops around James Cameron’s iconic first two instalments. But not surprisingly, Terminator Genisys becomes little more than its strenuous, sometimes skilful navigation through a well-established chronology, with even Arnold Schwarzenegger’s game return more a case of diminishing returns than fresh reinvention.

Opening in a few territories in late June before landing in the US on July 1 and the UK the following day, this Paramount offering is the first Terminator film since 2009’s Terminator Salvation — and the first to prominently feature Schwarzenegger since 2003’s Terminator 3: Rise Of The Machines. Arnold’s most potent franchise will need his star power, but considering his reduced commercial appeal since the end of his governorship of California in 2011, that alone may not elevate Genisys to global riches. Still, with a cast that includes medium-profile names like Jai Courtney, Emilia Clarke, Jason Clarke and J.K. Simmons, this fifth instalment should cater to action fans and nostalgic Terminator junkies alike.

Starting in 2029 before jumping back to 1984 and then leapfrogging ahead to 2017, Terminator Genisys introduces us anew to Kyle Reese (Courtney), the brave soldier in the human resistance who was sent back in time by team leader John Connor (Jason Clarke) to stop a ruthless robot assassin from killing his mother Sarah (Emilia Clarke) before she gives birth to him.

That was the setup for Cameron’s 1984 original, but Genisys throws an unexpected twist at us: just as Reese is sent back from 2029 to 1984, Connor is attacked by a Terminator (Matthew Smith), warping the familiar timeline. Reese ostensibly lands in the 1984 of the first Terminator, but significant aspects of that story have changed. Now, Sarah is already a fearsome warrior who has spent a good portion of her life fighting Terminators, and her loyal robot protector, known as the Guardian (Schwarzenegger), looks like the T-800 of the ’84 film but has been watching over her since childhood.

Much like the recently rebooted Star Trek, Genisys enjoys messing with its franchise’s lore, introducing a new timeline that sometimes offers variations on established parts and occasionally echoes memorable moments in fresh ways. (For instance, it’s now Sarah who intones, “Come with me if you want to live.”)

Not since Back To The Future II audaciously set its story partly within the confines of its first instalment has a sequel so shoehorned its narrative inside pre-existing material. A working knowledge of The Terminator and Terminator 2: Judgment Day, the two films made by Cameron, will go a long way towards appreciating what Taylor (Thor: The Dark World) very nearly pulls off in Genisys, which is to tweak our understanding of the franchise’s major characters, have a chuckle at its insolence and deliver a gripping Terminator movie in its own right. The lethal, mercury-like T-1000 (this time played by Byung-hun Lee) is back, but so is the very ‘80s-blockbuster belief that lame one-liners and dopey catchphrases uttered while blowing away baddies never go out of style.

Upon reflection, the explanations given regarding the new film’s distorted timeline — why characters can remember two separate pasts, why events in one reality can or can’t be repeated in another — probably won’t hold up to close scrutiny. But that matters less if Genisys can build up enough of a head of steam to smash through such quibbles. On that measure, the film’s success rate is about 50-50: Here’s a sequel in which characters spend so much time discussing the narrative’s internal logic, but only rarely are the explanations entertaining in and of themselves. Instead, the expository dialogue feels like a stopgap measure, an excuse to rationalise the fact that there’s yet another Terminator sequel while pushing us along to the next action set piece.

This obviousness isn’t so objectionable, however, considering how superb several of the film’s major sequences are. Assisted by editor Roger Barton and cinematographer Kramer Morgenthau, Taylor gives Genisys a sufficient amount of grandeur and propulsion. By now, it’s hardly newsworthy to note that in Genisys the fate of humanity hangs in the balance — that’s always been the case with this series — but Taylor and his collaborators do a good job dreaming up gripping scenes, including one involving a school bus dangling over the edge of a bridge. Anyone going to Genisys will know what to expect from a T-1000, but the filmmakers find novel new ways to suggest its unstoppable menace, which is helped by Lee’s sly, villainous performance.

But those comforting, familiar pleasures are undercut by a script that is nimbler in its logistics than in its treatment of its characters. Best known from her work on TV’s Game Of Thrones (a show on which Taylor has served as a director), Emilia Clarke can’t quite capture Sarah’s bruising, haunted quality, a combination of brawn and vulnerability that came effortlessly to the role’s original portrayer, Linda Hamilton. Instead, we get a simplistic Sarah who’s a wisecracking, gun-toting smartass.

This tendency toward one-dimensional characterisations affects most of the film’s main protagonists, whether it’s Schwarzenegger’s intentionally robotic turn as the Guardian or Courtney’s Reese, who is neither compelling nor appealing enough to be an empathetic reluctant hero. (Jason Clarke’s job is merely to be ruggedly inspiring, although he does have a bit of fun with one of the surprises created by this new timeline. And Simmons, fresh off his Oscar win for Whiplash, returns to the sort of thankless supporting work, as a detective chasing these time-travellers, that is the bread and butter of so many character actors.) As for Courtney and Emilia Clarke’s flirty/combative rapport, very few sparks develop, even though we (and some of the other characters) know that Sarah and Reese are destined to fall in love and give birth to John Connor, humanity’s last hope against its robot oppressors.

Still, give credit to an impressive effects team, which does wonders with the T-1000’s liquid metal. Additionally, utilising a similar technique used in Tron: Legacy for Jeff Bridges, Genisys impressively incorporates digital airbrushing to transform Arnold back to his mid-‘80s appearance during a brief segment.

Indeed, Genisys never lacks for forward momentum or precision action filmmaking. But the movie’s greatest attraction remains Schwarzenegger. It’s both inventive and a little desperate that the filmmakers have figured out how to include the 67-year-old actor as the still-imposing android by explaining that the character’s human casing ages even though the robot inside doesn’t. Schwarzenegger is still right at home as the stiff metal man, but the grey in his hair and the wrinkles on his face provoke an undeniable poignancy, acknowledging that no machine (or franchise or Hollywood star) is indestructible.

It's not spoiler-ish or anything I just didn't want that wall of text to be too distracting.

The review reads mixed-positive.
Old 06-24-15, 10:20 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

hrmmmm.
Old 06-24-15, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,165 Likes on 909 Posts

Basically like I've thought all along. It sounds fairly promising and while I'm sure it isn't perfect it doesn't sound like its going to be the disaster people are predicting either.
Old 06-24-15, 10:32 AM

Received 4,678 Likes on 3,168 Posts

Variety review: http://variety.com/2015/film/reviews...er-1201526761/
Old 06-24-15, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Yet while “Terminator Genesis” is far from a perfect movie, it may well be a perfect product of its time and place
Old 06-24-15, 03:16 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not sure if that's a good thing or bad thing though.

Sounds like an alright movie. About what I expected. I was going to see it either way.
Old 06-24-15, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

http://www.thewrap.com/terminator-ge...-jai-courtney/

The least inspiring thing about “Terminator Genisys” is how it’s a fifth film that doesn’t improve or expand on the prior four so much as it’s meant to clearly set up Part Six, Part Seven and possibly even more.
In 1984’s “The Terminator,” machines came back from the future to wipe out humanity; with “Terminator Genisys,” a whole franchise comes back from the past to water down summer moviegoing.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mov.../review/804559

....Action scenes are accumulated as if mandated by a stop-watch and almost invariably seem like warmed-over versions of stuff we've seen before in Terminator entries and elsewhere. The first three films in the series were R-rated and viscerally benefited from it; this one is rated PG-13 and its action scenes feel like diluted rehashes, obligatory and devoid of visual creativity in the same way the violence feel staged and photographed....

....But while she can be feisty at moments, Clarke can't do much to give dimension to the very one-note character of Sarah, and that goes double for Courtney as Reese, a role even more devoid of depth or wrinkles, physical or otherwise....

Last edited by inri222; 06-24-15 at 03:29 PM.
Old 06-24-15, 03:42 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 946 Likes on 792 Posts

PG-13 is the bane of my existence.
Old 06-24-15, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm stoked. Seeing this next Wednesday and then that weekend in ATMOS.
Old 06-24-15, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Based upon the reviews, I see a common trend:

TL;DR: Movie is better than expected, Jai Courtney still sucks.
Old 06-24-15, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 331 Likes on 247 Posts

The critics (so far) seem upset that the movie decides to mess around with the history of the franchise...but, honestly, what choice did they have? There's nowhere to go with the current canon and a re-boot would have felt like a re-tread of the same story. I kind of like the "Back to the Future II" angle here, and I think it will make for a fun - although I'm guessing also silly and full of plot holes/issues - film.
Old 06-24-15, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
The critics (so far) seem upset that the movie decides to mess around with the history of the franchise...but, honestly, what choice did they have? There's nowhere to go with the current canon and a re-boot would have felt like a re-tread of the same story. I kind of like the "Back to the Future II" angle here, and I think it will make for a fun - although I'm guessing also silly and full of plot holes/issues - film.
You know, like Jurassic World.

Old 06-24-15, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 331 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
You know, like Jurassic World.

Hey, I thought that movie was going to be awful and I found it to be a lot of fun. I think THIS movie is going to be a lot of fun, so...
Old 06-24-15, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,165 Likes on 909 Posts

Plus it's a franchise where time travel is prevalent so changing things in the timeline can work out. It isn't straight up retconning because it's just taking an alternate timeline approach. I've thought the Back to the Future Part II angle was an interesting approach to take from the get-go. It allows the new film to establish some things separate from the original film and at the same time incorporate some ideas from the original films.
Old 06-24-15, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The impression I get from the reviews is that the acting and action are pedestrian at best.
Old 06-24-15, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 274 Likes on 203 Posts

I just realized that reviews for this could be confusing if writers refer to "Clarke" without a first name. So we have two actors whose characters are mother and son both having the same last name in real life.
Old 06-24-15, 07:03 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The critics (so far) seem upset that the movie decides to mess around with the history of the franchise...but, honestly, what choice did they have? There's nowhere to go with the current canon and a re-boot would have felt like a re-tread of the same story.
Honestly, I think totally fucking with people's expectations was about the best thing they could have done. I still think the movie will be crap, but not because they were trying too hard to recreate T1 or T2.
Old 06-24-15, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The PG-13 rating is none too encouraging, but the endorsement from Cameron is interesting...
Old 06-24-15, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,709 Likes on 2,665 Posts

Is there an unwritten rule somewhere that a Terminator movie must be Rated R Just like the Die Hard series? Will more sex, heads being blown off, F bombs and blood really make the movie that much better?

People were jumping for joy when it was announced that A Good Day to Die Hard was rated R and look how that movie turned out.
Old 06-24-15, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Is there an unwritten rule somewhere that a Terminator movie must be Rated R Just like the Die Hard series? Will more sex, heads being blown off, F bombs and blood really make the movie that much better?

People were jumping for joy when it was announced that A Good Day to Die Hard was rated R and look how that movie turned out.
This type of thing always comes up regarding the rating, but it really depends on how the movie uses the extra leniency they have with an R rating. So really, it just depends.

The first two movies felt like they had a harsher and grittier tone and part of that to me is aided by the visceral response to the Terminator brutally killing people. T3 was also R, but it didn't have that feeling to me and everything felt too "clean" in my eyes.
Old 06-25-15, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 380 Likes on 270 Posts

"Harsher" is a good word. I'm tired of "grittier". I don't even like hearing it. So bored.

T3 had two great elements. The crane-chase scene. And the ending. The fembot was eyerolling. The danger only felt close a few times. I remember the hadron collider being neat - but there was nothing really fascinating to see. And that's something that carried the first two movies.
Old 06-25-15, 12:28 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138
The PG-13 rating is none too encouraging, but the endorsement from Cameron is interesting...
Didn't Cameron also say nice things about T3 and Salvation?
Old 06-25-15, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy
PG-13 is the bane of my existence.
We live in a time where teens will gladly pay $10-$15 to sit in a dark theater and text their friends for 2 hours. How could any studio not want their business?
Old 06-25-15, 05:05 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

What has been lacking in this franchise since T2 is good character development, as Cameron was able to accomplish very well for this genre.

Most summer blockbusters today are devoid of any interesting characters, as they rely more on CGI and big action set pieces to sell the movie. T3 was OK, but lacked that good character development. Salvation was horrible and typical McG movie that had no depth. I am probably going to say that this movie will be more like T3 and Salvation in that it probably had a few good action scenes, but will lack the character development.

T1 & T2 hold up today because he developed Sarah Connor real well, along with Reese in the original movie, and Arnold is great as the Terminator. The one flaw is Furlong can be somewhat annoying in T2.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.