Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Terminator: GENISYS (2015, D: Taylor) S: Emilia Clarke, Jason Clarke, Jai Courtney

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Terminator: GENISYS (2015, D: Taylor) S: Emilia Clarke, Jason Clarke, Jai Courtney

Old 08-13-10, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: New "Terminator" film coming...

I'm in the camp that thinks Cameron should just come back and make the most fucking awesome end to the series possible, but I also feel like he did that with T2.
Old 08-13-10, 08:16 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It never need a T3. OR anything else...it was perfectly fine as is.
Old 08-13-10, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

T1 and T2 are 2 of my favorite movies of all time.

It kills me to see this franchise with a ton of potential be kicked to shit time and time again.
Old 08-14-10, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 2,311 Likes on 1,703 Posts

Apparently this was news to Pacificor, who owns the rights to Terminator. They filed a cease and desist order after this news was released. They want to continue the live action film franchise.

http://www.deadline.com/2010/08/term...mated-feature/
Old 08-14-10, 02:10 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by brayzie View Post
Terminator, T2 and The Sarah Connor Chronicles were the only ones that are worth watching for me. It would have been cool if they could have made a third film that focused specifically. Something like NOW Comic's Terminator: The Burning Earth and traditional war movies like Saving Private Ryan, Platoon, etc.

I mean the 1991 film had liquid metal terminators and yet the 2008 movie went back to endoskeletons.

Salvation takes place before the T-1000's were ever created. It actually takes place before the T-800's like Arnold in T1 were fully created.
Old 08-14-10, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I loved Term Salvation, it was entertaining how they tied in the past movies and it was really cool seeing how they brought back Arnie in this one.

I wish they would do one more movie and tie everything up and have the humans win.
Old 08-14-10, 02:20 PM
Banned

from DEADLINE

UPDATE: Hannover House's Eric Parkinson said that he just got his cease and desist letter, and then told Pacificor's attorneys of his proprietary rights position, and the fact that he's got backers in place to make a movie and deliver a big rights fee to Pacificor. "We've arranged a meeting, we'll show them our money and if the rational brain prevails, they'll take the deal. If not, I can't do it without them. You'll have a followup next week that we are either holding hands, or not doing the film. At least we now have our meeting. I hope they will can think outside the box, because if we can make a movie that delivers a $20 million to $30 million rights payment, that is an income source they didn't realize was possible. If not, it was a good idea anyway."

EXCLUSIVE: A battle is brewing over Terminator 3000, a proposed 3D animated feature film that was announced by Hannover House, a division of Target Development Group that distributes specialty films and DVDs. Pacificor, the company that owns the rights to the Terminator franchise, has sent a cease and desist letter in response to a press release issued by Hannover House detailing plans to develop Terminator 3000, a $70 million animated film in conjunction with Vancouver-based Red Bear Entertainment. Hannover House CEO Eric Parkinson told me earlier today that he issued the announcement only because one of the potential production partners spoke publicly about it. He said he was awaiting reply from WME, the agency repping the Terminator film rights.

Parkinson, who once headed the home video division of Hemdale (maker of the original Terminator) said he has certain proprietary rights allowing him to make the film. "The animation rights were excluded when Hemdale sold Terminator to Carolco and when I left Hemdale, part of my settlement was that I got those rights," Hannover told me. "However, the way the rest of the contractual rights are written, it would be dangerous for us to do this without Pacificor's approval. They have certain intellectual rights. The best way to put it is, they can't make an animated film without me, and we might not be able to make it without them. We are in discussions with WME, and hope we can deal with this expeditiously."

A Pacificor spokesman shared the cease and desist letter with me, one that indicates the company isn't looking for another project beyond what's envisioned as two or more live action feature films that continue the apocalyptic adventures hatched by James Cameron. Here is the letter:

HILL & TRAGER, LLP
Attorneys At Law

August 13, 2010

Fred Shefte, President Eric Parkinson, CEO
Target Development Group, Inc. Susannah Patton, Director
1428 Chester Street Hanover House
Springdale, AR 72764 1428 Chester Street
Springdale, AR 72764

Eric Parkinson, President and CEO
Truman Press, Inc.
1722 North College Street
Suite C-303
Fayetteville, AR 72703

Re: Pacificor, LLC (“Pacificor”)

Dear Messrs. Parkinson and Shefte and Ms. Patton:

We are counsel for Pacificor, LLC (“Pacificor”). We believe you are aware that pursuant to an order entered on March 3, 2010 in In re: T Asset Acquistion Company, LLC, et. al, United States Bankruptcy Court, Central District of California, Los Angeles Division, Case No. 2009-31853-ER, Pacificor acquired assets relating to the Terminator Motion Picture Franchise, including, but not limited to, rights to sequels, remakes, all mechanizing and other derivative rights related to sequels and remakes, and other assets, collectively defined as the “Granted Terminator Assets” in said order.

We recently became aware through various online media reports that Hannover House, purportedly a division of Target Development Group, Inc. (“TDGI”), entered into a purported feature film development venture with a Vancouver based entity, Red Bear Entertainment, for “Teminator 3000” an animated feature film based upon the characters introduced in the original Terminator movie.

This knowledge came as a surprise to Pacificor. It did not license or authorize any such development or film. Indeed, it has not been contacted by Hannover House, TDGI, Red Bear Entertainment or anyone else seeking such a license or approval.

While some of the reports we have seen mention that Pacificor “retains approval and licencing authority...” over the proposed project, a reasonable inference drawn from the reports is that such approval has been obtained. Otherwise, why would the “development deal” have been entered into in the first place and why would the reports mention a proposed January 2011 start date for production?

Please be advised that the suggestion that Hannover House, TDGI, Red Bear Entertainment or any other entity is, has, or will be developing, producing, marketing or in any other way utilizing characters and situations which are part of the Terminator Franchise infringes upon and interferes with Pacificor’s ownership rights. To illustrate, the suggestion that Hannover House, TDGI and/or Red Bear Entertainment will be developing a feature film, animated or not, directly interferes with Pacificor’s right to capitalize on its assets in the manner it deems in its best interests. This public pronouncement could impact Pacificor’s ability to attract and negotiate with development partners of its own choosing.

The purported development deal, among other things, violates the U.S. Copyright Act, 17 U.S.C. § 101, et. seq., constitutes trademark interference and can result in civil penalties. Accordingly, we demand that Hannover House, TDGI and/or Red Bear Entertainment: (1) immediately issue a retraction clearly indicating that Pacificor had no knowledge of the development venture and that its approval has not been sought nor obtained; (2) stop issuing press releases mentioning the purported development venture and the Terminator Franchise unless and until approval for such a venture is obtained from Pacificor; (3) notify this office in writing not later than five days after your receipt of this letter of your compliance with these demands.

This letter does not purport to be a complete statement of the facts of the law and is without prejudice to any of Pacificor’s legal and equitable rights.

Very truly yours,

HILL & TRAGER, LLP

Timothy J. Trager

cc: Pacificor, LLC
Old 08-14-10, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Holy shit, is Hannover fucking stupid or what? Pacificor just bought the rights to the franchise and they think the first thing they'll want to do is completely fuck the franchise? And does anyone have a single shred of doubt they wouldn't make an abominable piece of shit?
Old 08-14-10, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

That guy is an idiot, I love how there was extra emphasis on making it a PG-13 film.

Last time I heard, the writer that worked with Cameron on the first two was going to do a new script based on an idea that was radically different. Live action that is.
Old 08-14-10, 02:42 PM
Banned

The franchise ended w/ T2. Salvation's idea was interesting but it was a better action film than it was as a Terminator film. As much as I like the idea of seeing people fight Skynet....just let it die already.
Old 08-14-10, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Alternative3 View Post

However I think mainstream movie goers will be turned off by it being animated. Audiences will prefer live action. Its gonna take a kick ass marketing plan to get people in the seats for a animated film thats not family friendly.
The Goon is coming out and is not a family friendly animated movie. Maybe the success or failure of the film will determine if the terminator animated will be popular.
Old 08-14-10, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I want another Terminator movie, but I want it to pick up where Terminator Salvation left off. It wasn't a perfect movie by any means, but at least it was trying to move the franchise forward. A lot of the ideas in the movie were great, but there was some poor execution. I think if they had stuck with the original ending (Marcus taking John Connor's face) the entire movie would have made more sense and worked a lot better; I would have been really sad to see John Connor die, but I think it would have been a bold statement and a way to revitalize the franchise. Still, it was a better movie than Terminator 3, and I'd welcome another entry that continued the continuity.

I'm not even necessarily against it being animated; I was worried at first about TMNT being animated, but I really loved that movie. Still, two totally different franchises and maybe Terminator wouldn't work in animated form, but I'm not automatically opposed to it. I am worried about it being some corny 3D production geared toward kids

Or...give Josh Friedman the chance to make a feature-length continuation/resolution for Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles. There's a man who knows how to handle the source material and respects James Cameron's vision.
Old 08-14-10, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC View Post
The franchise ended w/ T2. Salvation's idea was interesting but it was a better action film than it was as a Terminator film. As much as I like the idea of seeing people fight Skynet....just let it die already.
Eh I don't agree that it ends with T2; I would like to see the future battles that have been hinted at, something that's been well expressed by others as important to a prequel. The last two films have sucked but that doesn't mean there's no room for more Terminator films, specifically well-made films.

Originally Posted by kstublen View Post
I want another Terminator movie, but I want it to pick up where Terminator Salvation left off. It wasn't a perfect movie by any means, but at least it was trying to move the franchise forward. A lot of the ideas in the movie were great, but there was some poor execution. I think if they had stuck with the original ending (Marcus taking John Connor's face) the entire movie would have made more sense and worked a lot better; I would have been really sad to see John Connor die, but I think it would have been a bold statement and a way to revitalize the franchise. Still, it was a better movie than Terminator 3, and I'd welcome another entry that continued the continuity.
I hated the ideas, practically all of them, that McG and company thought of when it came to Terminator Salvation, but I concur about more films. But really no McG as the guy wanted the Terminators to be benevolent watchers of the human race, using nukes to cull and having a resort on Angel Island for cyborg humans. Idiotic.

Last edited by gmanca; 08-14-10 at 03:02 PM.
Old 08-14-10, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by gmanca View Post
I hated the ideas, practically all of them, that McG and company thought of when it came to Terminator Salvation, but I concur about more films. But really no McG as the guy wanted the Terminators to be benevolent watchers of the human race, using nukes to cull and having a resort on Angel Island for cyborg humans. Idiotic.
Sorry, I should have clarified. That part was really lame. What I liked was them being willing to take a risk and kill off John Connor, but have him live on as a cyborg.
Old 08-14-10, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by kstublen View Post
Sorry, I should have clarified. That part was really lame. What I liked was them being willing to take a risk and kill off John Connor, but have him live on as a cyborg.
Yeah, well you know, I guess it was crazy enough to make the film worthwhile and perhaps actually tread new ground with a new trilogy.

Actually, now that I think about it, had they gone with the original plan of never showing John Connor and making him known to only a few people, they could have let him die and let Marcus live as John Connor, with Marcus' face. That way, he would have been "John Connor" all along and it fixes the whole "John Connor/Kyle Reese/original John Connor" paradox.
Old 08-14-10, 03:37 PM
Banned

Explain that paradox, (Yes, here we go again w/ Terminator paradox logic)...cuz maybe....I'm thinking about the same thing you're thinking...I just don't call it that way maybe...
Old 08-14-10, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC View Post
Explain that paradox, (Yes, here we go again w/ Terminator paradox logic)...cuz maybe....I'm thinking about the same thing you're thinking...I just don't call it that way maybe...
Yeah, I totally jumbled it up but I think we have the same thoughts; there are two options, either it's non-linear in that there is only one John Connor and he sent his father Kyle Reese back in time, the predestination paradox, or it's linear and there are two John Connors, one that sent him back and one that was Reese's kid.

Then there's the whole notion of whether Judgment Day had to happen because that's why the time machine was built.

Last edited by gmanca; 08-14-10 at 03:46 PM.
Old 08-14-10, 03:57 PM
Banned

ok...we're a bit different in logic. BUT....I think what I think is your latter example.

ok..bare w/ me here people.

In my mind..it goes like this.

ORIGINAL NOTHING GOES WRONG YET TIMELINE:

Sarah Connor and an unknown male fuck and BOOM..John Connor...this Connor though doesn't do anything relevant till Skynet causes Judgement Day, after that..Connor through, I'm assuming cuz...he sounds like a tough fucker, rises up the ranks of the resistance and becomes the badass looking guy at the start of T2. Connor finds out about Skynet sending a T-800 to the past to kill his mum. He sends Reese. NOW THIS IS WHERE MY OWN MEMORY is at fault...but...does anything in T1 even suggest who or what his father was? Cuz if he didn't then Connor inadvertingly made Reese his own father. Therfore..making an alternate timeline. That timeline leads us to Connor now knowingly influenced by Sarah and recognizing that a man called Kyle Reese is his father.

In a nutshell...

Connor makes Reese his own dad, and whomever was the "original" father doesn't matter cuz Connor was going to be the leader of the resistance no matter what. His original rise through the ranks or now w/ the knowledge of the future and whatnot.....

ok..this is why the logic is crazy..I'll be back later my head hurts.
Old 08-14-10, 04:09 PM

Yup. that's how I have viewed it, but this is where the real crazy part comes: what if the first father *was* Kyle Reese? By having Marcus, the whole person, be John Connor, that first John Connor, the one that Kyle Reese is the father of, doesn't matter! Kyle learns his trade from who we know as Marcus but who he knows as "John Connor" and is subsequently sent back by him.

It completely works in the sense that there's no paradox other than why Marcus chooses the name John Connor to begin with, which could easily be a throwaway line or plot, and it has the cool idea "to become them is to know them" in that Marcus is a machine and knows intimately how they work, weak-points, ability to use the Terminator technology etc.

Really, all they should do is retro-con Salvation in a sequel, showing that Marcus still lives, Connor dies, and Kyle Reese doesn't know who John Connor is.

Last edited by gmanca; 08-14-10 at 04:15 PM.
Old 08-15-10, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Eva Kaine View Post
Salvation takes place before the T-1000's were ever created. It actually takes place before the T-800's like Arnold in T1 were fully created.
I understand that but the producers/writers could just have easily had the movie take place AFTER the T-1000's were created.

It didn't help that it was PG-13 and the dark, depressing world in the flashbacks of T1 and T2 was replaced with a sunny desert landscape.

I remember McG was hyping Salvation at some comic con event and saying how the story wasn't science fiction anymore, how we're already living in an advanced technological age blah blah blah.

That shows to me, if I'm remembering the gist of what he meant right, that he's not very imaginative and was the wrong person to helm the 4th installment.
Old 08-15-10, 02:24 AM
En vacance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't see Salvation yet but remember the commercials John Connor screaming "WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE!!!!", thats a really crappy leader if he's spazzing out like that.
Old 08-15-10, 02:35 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will it be better animation than that STAR WARS cartoon?
Old 08-16-10, 04:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,100 Likes on 739 Posts

I enjoyed all the T-Films. Some had to grow on me, but they eventually did.

...But this new project doesn't sound right.
Old 08-16-10, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 252 Likes on 163 Posts

A lot of Terminator hate in this thread. I enjoyed Salvation and really enjoyed the TV series (wish they would do a movie based on that as opposed to this idea).

T3 was a bucket of shit though.
Old 08-16-10, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by FRwL View Post
I didn't see Salvation yet but remember the commercials John Connor screaming "WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE!!!!", thats a really crappy leader if he's spazzing out like that.
Ummmm, no. The line was: "If we stay the course we are dead. We are all DEAD!"

And it makes perfect since in the movie. You should watch the directors cut. Its actually good.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.