Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Terminator: GENISYS (2015, D: Taylor) S: Emilia Clarke, Jason Clarke, Jai Courtney

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Terminator: GENISYS (2015, D: Taylor) S: Emilia Clarke, Jason Clarke, Jai Courtney

Old 12-05-13, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,813 Likes on 2,734 Posts
Re: Terminator 5

Am I on ignore? No thoughts on Clarke possibly cast as Sarah Connor? Since Clarke could pass for a teenager, would we see Sarah as a 16 or 17 year old?
Old 12-05-13, 12:28 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Probably cuz maybe no one knows who Clarke is?
Old 12-05-13, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk God

Dany from Game of Thrones. Unless no one here watches it.
Old 12-05-13, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk God

This is Emilia Clarke
Old 12-05-13, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 190 Likes on 132 Posts

Clarke would be great, her portrayal of Dany has been mentioned on several powerful female character lists lately. I think she would easily transition to Sarah Connor.
Old 12-05-13, 01:38 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Solid Snake
Probably cuz maybe no one knows who Clarke is?
This is wrong.
Old 12-05-13, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,184 Likes on 922 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Salvation makes T3 look like T2. Fuck me Salvation is unwatchable, and stupid, and I want to put my head through a wall just thinking about it.
I think that Terminator 3 is easily the worst film of the franchise. It feels completely pointless and seems like it's just trying to recapture the magic of Terminator 2. At least Terminator Salvation despite it's flaws tried something different and gave fans what they had been wanting for so long (the war between man and machine).
Old 12-05-13, 04:54 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I think that Terminator 3 is easily the worst film of the franchise. It feels completely pointless and seems like it's just trying to recapture the magic of Terminator 2. At least Terminator Salvation despite it's flaws tried something different and gave fans what they had been wanting for so long (the war between man and machine).
Yeah Salvation actually carried the whole story forward in time without being a rehash. T3 is definitely the worst in evey aspect.
Old 12-05-13, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by DJariya
This is Emilia Clarke
Looks more sweet than feisty . I've got to start watching GOT.
Old 12-05-13, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Completely agree. T3 was pretty crappy. I thought Salvation was decent and had some nice robot f/x.
Old 12-05-13, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I believe one of the news articles mentioned that Tom Hardy is a possibility for John Connor.
Old 12-05-13, 08:24 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd rather they just "continue" on from TS and just lead us to where Connor sends Reese to Sarah and then his own T-800 to himself. Along with whatever leads up to those points.

T4 was intersting cuz it didn't try to fight Cameron. T3 did and it failed horribly.
Old 12-05-13, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,868 Likes on 1,966 Posts

Agreed. Salvation wasn't a particularly good movie, but at least it wasn't sending Arnie back in time to kill/protect John Connor again.

T3: Rise of the Machines would have been a better movie if it was just about Skynet starting the war and not having more fucking Terminators sent back in time.
Old 12-05-13, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 708 Likes on 436 Posts

Wasn't T3's catchphrase "Talk to the hand"?

Yeah... utter shit. Great ending though.

Salvation was just horrible all around, but I agree that at least it wasn't yet another rehash. I'd rather they try to do something different and fail rather than just another fucking retread of tired material. If people are really begging for more "John and Sarah Connor escape Terminators sent back in time" adventures, they probably see nothing wrong with the Robocop and Total Recall remakes.
Old 12-05-13, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 389 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Great ending though.
The ending of T3 "made" the movie.

I also enjoyed the chase with the big crane truck.

Other than that, it was mostly throw-away material that you'd get in a Saturday morning cartoon. A lady terminator and a T1000 that turns bad temporarily.

Is T5 still going to take place in the 1950's? They better come up with something good. Otherwise, it'll just be another gimmick like T3. And people didn't really connect with that.
Old 12-05-13, 01:58 PM
RIP

Received 61 Likes on 44 Posts

I thought T3 was alright. Nothing new, but entertaining enough.

Salvation wasn't too bad, either. I thought the action scenes were incredible.
Old 12-05-13, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,229 Likes on 946 Posts

This is Emilia Clarke
And she would have to get naked in T5, as well.
Old 12-05-13, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Rotten Tomatoes:

Terminator 3 - 70%
Terminator Salvation - 33%

Old 12-05-13, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Jory
Rotten Tomatoes:

Terminator 3 - 70%
Terminator Salvation - 33%

I don't think scumbag hipsters existed in 2003.
Old 12-05-13, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by EddieMoney
I thought T3 was alright. Nothing new, but entertaining enough.

Salvation wasn't too bad, either. I thought the action scenes were incredible.

Agree. The hate for T3 is hilarious if not absurd.

I actually liked the R rated cut of Salvation on the BD more than the theatrical cut.
Old 12-05-13, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Agree. The hate for T3 is hilarious if not absurd.

I actually liked the R rated cut of Salvation on the BD more than the theatrical cut.

Me too.
Old 12-05-13, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

The intro to T3 was also awesome. Boobs and jiggling asscheeks.

The "talk to the hand" was funny but, yeah T3 was a let down compared to the phenomenal T2 Cameron flick.
Old 12-05-13, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

The last two sequels weren't that imaginative in my opinion. For the new infiltrator in T3 they just combined the T-800 with the T-1000. Pretty lazy in my opinion.

Terminator Salvation showed us the same ol' T-800's but way bulkier, and copied some Transformers and Matrix robot designs.

The first two Cameron films gave audiences something we've never seen before. In T4 and T:S it was all old hat.

From the Wiki:

Skynet was originally built by Cyberdyne Systems Corporation for Strategic Air Command - North American Air Defense. The SAC-NORAD base is located in Cheyenne Mountain, Colorado, the world's most heavily armored and defended mountain. Hollowed out, reinforced and armored, Cheyenne Mountain is capable of withstanding a direct hit from a nuclear missile. This made it the perfect installation at which to build Skynet's mainframe. At some point during the war, after Skynet had launched its missiles, Skynet had the mountain around it destroyed, leaving a cold, gleaming structure as a display of the supremacy of the machines.

^I would have liked to see that in film.

^would have made a good film.
Old 12-05-13, 11:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
T2 completed the story, there really wasn't any need to continue on from there, since it'd pretty much tied up all of the loose ends and served as a complete narrative. But of course, that never stopped movie studios who wanted more money, so the franchise continued. T3 isn't particularly great, but it coasts on the good will of the previous two movies and at least having Arnold around, who does seem to be having fun. A few of the action scenes are decent. But it basically spent all of its time getting to an ending which, in spite of the director's big-headed bragging, we all saw coming, it was essentially just a holding pattern. It is kind of fun though. The Mad Max stuff in T4 had the potential to be fun, but IMO the film was a mess and kind of dull, to be honest, it doesn't really build the mythology in any particularly interesting way. Bale was a good choice, but the film is so riddled with cliches, there isn't much for him to do. The story is over. At this point I'd settle for Cameron unfucking the coloring on the BR of the first one and call it a day. But that's obviously not happening.

Along with Cameron's Aliens, T2 sets a high standard which sci-fi action films since have basically been recycling. Those are two pretty difficult films to beat, IMO.
Old 12-06-13, 01:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Sorry to nitpick but the first Terminator completed the story. John Connor won. Skynet tried to cheat but only helped ensure that John Connor would be conceived.
T2 just muddies the story. Remember, the resistance destroyed the time displacement machine so no one else could be sent back. Yet more terminators keep getting sent back. Cameron also reused the same structure as the first one.

There's a lot of stories you can tell with the Terminator mythos and lots of different themes to explore. But since its a big franchise now, risks on intelligent SF won't happen. Would Arnold's portrayal of the terminator from the first film be as iconic had it been rated PG-13? I remember him saying, even as limited as the budget was, the producers or studio were demanding he shoot most of the film during the day but he insisted that having it mostly at night was crucial to the atmosphere of the film.

So any new Terminator film is going to be studio/investor driven.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.