Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Terminator: GENISYS (2015, D: Taylor) S: Emilia Clarke, Jason Clarke, Jai Courtney

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Terminator: GENISYS (2015, D: Taylor) S: Emilia Clarke, Jason Clarke, Jai Courtney

Old 12-02-13, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts
Re: Terminator 5

Jean-Claude Van Damme wants to deal the 'Van Dammage' in Terminator 5!

Recently, the muscles from Brussels was the target of an online petition, via his Facebook page, asking Paramount to consider him for a role in Terminator 5, where he would star next to his Expendables buddy, Arnold Schwarzenegger. Van Damme replied to the post by saying:

"I would definitely love to join The 'Terminator' franchise with Mr. Arnold Schwarzenegger, if I am offered the role. I would love to! Let's see if the studio is interested. Thank you."

Universal Soldier meets the Terminator? Hell yeah! If Paramount would consider giving JCVD a shot at the 2015 tentpole, I think fans and action movie junkies would be more than excited to fork out that coin to see it. I know I would.

Jean-Claude has proven his ability to play the roles of both good guy and bad guy effectively, looking back at his recent part in The Expendables 2, where he plays the lead antagonist - a convincing one at that. Not to mention, like Schwarzenegger, he has a noticable (and badass) accent - which could suit him well for a Terminator role. I'm getting ahead of myself, but the thought of a JCVD Terminator in Terminator 5 is just too epic to comprehend. He's still in great shape, he can still perform the moves he did back in the days of Blood Sport - the man is a machine - so it would only be fitting to cast him as one.

http://www.scified.com/news/1309
Old 12-02-13, 09:37 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ugh, just shoot me now.
Old 12-02-13, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Make. It. Happen.
Old 12-02-13, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why the fuck not. Seriously, the Terminator franchise hasn't had any legitimacy since 1991. The only way I got any enjoyment out of Terminator Salvation was to accept that the series had degraded to cheap action schlock, and to judge it on those terms. Same with Die Hard 4 and 5. They're the cinematic equivalent of those tie-in novels you see clogging up the sci-fi and fantasy section of the bookstore. Of course, I would love to see a return to greatness, to see a genuinely terrific Terminator movie with a script that's worth a damn. But we're not getting that from the director of Thor: The Mystery of Why the World Needed One Thor Movie Let Alone Two, especially if they're really going ahead with the awful idea of bringing Arnold back. Bringing in someone like JCVD is the only chance for it to have any entertainment value.
Old 12-02-13, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,622 Likes on 2,599 Posts

Why not?

He's 53 and still in great shape and can still do shit that Arnold can only dream of.

But, obviously it's not his call. It's the director, studio and casting director's call.
Old 12-02-13, 09:58 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Why...Why...
Old 12-02-13, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

I'd also love to be in Terminator 5!
Old 12-02-13, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Why does an accent suit him well for a Terminator role?
Old 12-02-13, 10:44 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
I'd also love to be in Terminator 5!
This is much funnier given your choice of avatar.
Old 12-02-13, 11:02 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst113
Many of the current big names in cinema-J.J. Abrams, Edgar Wright, Joss Whedon, etc. have been plucked from the world of TV, especially for big franchise stuff. It kind make sense, shoot quickly and dirty, bombard the audience with twisting plot information and sitcom one-liners to make up for the fact that the film isn't that visually interesting, sell lots of action figures, and keep cinema's pace up.
I just noticed that you included Edgar Wright in this group. I think he's one of the more impressive visual directors working today.
Old 12-02-13, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
This is much funnier given your choice of avatar.
Oh hai Sarah Connor!
Old 12-02-13, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I just noticed that you included Edgar Wright in this group. I think he's one of the more impressive visual directors working today.
Really? I like his films and think that his visuals are sometimes interesting, but think his greatest strength comes out of the rhythms of his characters' dialogue and delivery and the pace of his stories.
Old 12-02-13, 11:20 PM
Banned by request

I think he packs a TON of visual information into each frame, and always frames for maximum impact. He's not as subtle as, say, Soderbergh, but he knows how to use the camera really well.
Old 12-02-13, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Soderberg acts as his own DP too, even in this digital DIY age, that seems to still be pretty uncommon. And he shoots quickly too, from what I understand. As far as Wright, maybe I should give his films a second viewing. He trilogy feels somewhat sitcom-y to me. That's not necessarily a bad thing, I just tent to pay more attention to the rhythm of the jokes and the chemistry of the actors than the visuals maybe. SPVTW is CERTAINLY a visually extravagant film though.
Old 12-02-13, 11:31 PM
Banned by request

I just rewatched the Cornetto trilogy and I think his visual style is very well formed, and very cinematic.
Old 12-03-13, 09:40 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Easily one of the best action directors we've got around and working. Can't wait for Ant-Man just to see the action.

The exciting thing about Wright is that he really is an auteur. In fact, he's the most exciting director to have in the MCU. The guy out directs all the ones that we know the MCU has. Well... Who knows about the Russo Bros? I know nothing of them aside from some of their work. Maybe this is them blowing their load with Cap 2? Either way... The guy is awesome to have with action. We need better action directors working here in el USA.
Old 12-03-13, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

I sense a lot of jealousy towards Van Damme and not wanting him to be in this movie.

Many reasons I can think of:

1) You can't do the split.
2) You never had a shidoshi to teach you the Dim Mak.

Last edited by Sonic; 12-03-13 at 02:47 PM.
Old 12-03-13, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 695 Likes on 429 Posts

The Terminator "franchise" only succeeded because of James Cameron and Arnold, both in their prime, at the height of their talents. Everything after T2 has been weak, barely warmed-over imitation poofery and a canard.

I say, give the franchise over to some indie action/thriller director and cap it with a $30 million budget. Return it to its lean, B-movie roots. Focus on someone other than John/Sarah Connor as the target. Maybe switch it up, a Terminator is sent back to protect an innocent future Skynet employee from a band of Resistance fighters sent back to kill him. Set it in the early 1980s. In Schenectady. Make the Terminator a black guy who looks like a young OJ. Make the leader of resistance a fat guy. Or better yet, forget the whole resistance vs. Terminator thing, and make the story simply a character piece about a future Skynet engineer growing up in 1980s Schenectady.
Old 12-03-13, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

I don't think it would be as interesting. The story works best when it's in relation to the savior of the human race or his mother. It gives it a sense of immediateness.
I recently read Terminator: One Shot by James Robinson and Matt Wagner. A 2nd female Terminator got sent back right before Arnold's, and is after another Sarah Connor who works at an art gallery. The story is okay, but not much is at stake.
The Sarah Connor Chronicles already explored those ideas that you mentioned minus making John Connor fat. It was some really well written SF and the best continuation of the story from T2.
Old 12-04-13, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,622 Likes on 2,599 Posts

m.deadline.com/2013/12/terminator-update-emilia-clarke-brie-larson-on-short-list-to-play-sarah-connor/

Emilia Clarke (Daenerys from Game of Thrones) is the front runner to play Sarah Connor.

Brie Larson is also in contention.
Old 12-04-13, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 695 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by brayzie
I don't think it would be as interesting. The story works best when it's in relation to the savior of the human race or his mother. It gives it a sense of immediateness.
And it's been done before. And it's cliched. And dull as dirt. They NEED to do something different and new, or it's just another pointless remake.

To be fair, I never watched the TV show.

Last edited by Hokeyboy; 12-04-13 at 08:33 PM.
Old 12-04-13, 07:29 PM
Banned by request

The TV show was wretched, IMO.
Old 12-04-13, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,149 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
The Terminator "franchise" only succeeded because of James Cameron and Arnold, both in their prime, at the height of their talents. Everything after T2 has been weak, barely warmed-over imitation poofery and a canard.

I say, give the franchise over to some indie action/thriller director and cap it with a $30 million budget. Return it to its lean, B-movie roots. Focus on someone other than John/Sarah Connor as the target. Maybe switch it up, a Terminator is sent back to protect an innocent future Skynet employee from a band of Resistance fighters sent back to kill him. Set it in the early 1980s. In Schenectady. Make the Terminator a black guy who looks like a young OJ. Make the leader of resistance a fat guy. Or better yet, forget the whole resistance vs. Terminator thing, and make the story simply a character piece about a future Skynet engineer growing up in 1980s Schenectady.
While I do agree that the first two are the best of the franchise and wouldn't mind seeing the series going back to a smaller scale I still think that Terminator Salvation is vastly underrated personally. It's not the greatest film ever made or anything but I think it's a better film than a lot of people give it credit for being. I've said it numerous times but I really feel the reason it doesn't work is as a stand alone movie it feels incomplete and so different from the rest of the franchise that it's out of place. To me the film feels like it was meant to have more parts to it that haven't happened and may never happen. I do like your idea about a Terminator being sent back to protect a Skynet employee and setting it sometime in the past.
Old 12-05-13, 12:10 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The TV show was wretched, IMO.
That's a nice way of putting it.

The problem with this franchise is that it ended itself with T2. T3 has no reason to exist. T4 is pointless but it has more of a reason to exist than T3, sadly it's script is kind of a mess but good action.
Old 12-05-13, 12:14 AM
Banned by request

Salvation makes T3 look like T2. Fuck me Salvation is unwatchable, and stupid, and I want to put my head through a wall just thinking about it.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.