Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

pretty interesting albeit all too brief mini-doc about noise removal in films

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-12, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts

Marie Ebbing & Jonathon Stevens – Noise Removal

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/24230801?byline=0&portrait=0" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe>

Marie Ebbing & Jonathon Stevens offer advanced noise removal services for music and film post production using a suite of tools by the software developer Algorithmix. These noise removal tools are divided into 2 categories, broadband — including surface noise, hiss & hum; and transient — including camera hydraulics, coughs, page turns and other instantaneous noises.

Their use of these tools extends into the non-standard as well. They can remove unwanted dialog and music from stereo or multi-channel master recordings. Rebalancing or complete removal of instruments in a master recording is also possible and on occasion pitch correction to a specific instrument in a mix. All of this is done with the utmost respect to the sound quality of your original master.

Projects that have benefited from their noise removal services include:
Tron: Legacy, The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, Capitalism, Public Enemies, San Francisco Symphony’s Keeping Score Series, The Lord of the Rings: Complete Music Boxed sets

For more Information: www.centitone.com
I really wish BD's would feature more documentaries about the actual sound work. I know the new 3D BD release of TF: DOTM is going to include a featurette about its sound design but I wonder how detailed it will be.
Old 01-02-12, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: pretty interesting albeit all too brief mini-doc about noise removal in films

Most of these featurettes deal with the overall effect being created - the end result. Few go into the actual technology involved with it. The Avatar 3-disc release had two excellent pieces on the sound mix and the score, as both utilized many layers of collected sounds and blended them all together. It's very interesting to learn how both can work together as well. Often I'll read an interview with a composer who talks about working with the sound mixers and sound designers to make music and effects complement rather than contrast with each other, as well as one giving the other room to shine, that kind of thing. These decisions affect how they work because if a sound mixer knows that music will take over a scene, they can scale back their effects, and if a composer knows a scene will be full of explosions and gunfire, they can write their music to work around it or leave it altogether rather than try to add to the mass of noise being made.

Just my long-winded way of saying I agree that featurettes like this make for good and informative viewing.

Speaking of Avatar, in the music score thread I posted a link to a video about the AVID ProTools technology being used for mixing, editing and recording the film's score:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/sfvwUBNg-X8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 01-07-12, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
Re: pretty interesting albeit all too brief mini-doc about noise removal in films

Thanks for posting that video, Nick Martin. It was really cool.