Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Movie moments you just noticed

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Movie moments you just noticed

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-15, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
Re: Movie moments you just noticed

Originally Posted by james2025a
Its a dreadful movie. The other two i actually like....with the exception of Julia Roberts. If i ever see her ugly phizog on the TV i immediately want to smash it to pieces.
Ocean's 12 was the worst movie of the Ocean's trilogy, but conversely it had the best soundtrack out of those films. David Holmes did an amazing job with the music.

For example:
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/rOhDlvDC_jY?rel=0&showinfo=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I can watch any of the Ocean's movies just for the music.
Old 02-21-15, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 483 Likes on 319 Posts

Watched Goodfellas the other day for about the 30th time. During the scene where the guys kidnap Henry's mailman and threaten to shove him in the oven, while Tuttie threatens the guy there is a five year old kid in the right side of the frame watching with his eyes wide open and chowing down on his pizza. Not a huge revelation, but something I've noticed in the 25 years I've been watching this movie.
Old 02-21-15, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

Just re-watched the original Tron last night and noticed for the first time that when the trio breaks into Encom and Alan goes to his cubicle to login, he has Kaltuu Barada Nikto on the wall next to him. I am sure everyone recognizes the line from the Day the Earth Stood Still and the words used to stop the Robot/Machine. I guess its a clear predictor of the guy who will stop the MCP in the movie.

Old 02-22-15, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts

I had seen Die Hard many many times before I noticed that Theo and Karl had a monetary bet on whether Takagi would give up the code.
Old 02-22-15, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by mwbmis
I had seen Die Hard many many times before I noticed that Theo and Karl had a monetary bet on whether Takagi would give up the code.
Watched that movie with my dad this past Xmas and we both never caught that either!

BTW, since I saw this in theaters, I could've swore that the widened widescreen-presentation showed the face of the terrorist who was waiting for Powell (While he was inspecting the interior of the building) behind the corner.
But for those who grew up watching the fullscreen version, you never even knew that a terrorist was waiting for him!
Old 02-22-15, 05:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff

Yeah I had the toy figures as a kid and remembered their names fit with it also.
Old 03-03-15, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,211 Likes on 2,071 Posts

It was just recently that I finally realized that the iconic image at the beginning of all James Bond movies of the circular object zeroing in on Bond only to have Bond turn and shoot is actually supposed to be a POV view of inside a gun barrel.

Last edited by GoldenJCJ; 03-03-15 at 07:41 PM.
Old 03-03-15, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
It was just recently that I finally realized that the iconic image at the beginning of all James Bond movies of the circular object zeroing in on Bond only to have Bond turn and shoot is actually supposed to be a POV view of inside a gun barrel.

really?
Old 03-03-15, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought it was the aperture of a lens?
Old 03-03-15, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by fmian
Nope, it's the rifling of a gun barrel, and before the assassin can fire, Bond turns and shoots him first.

For the embed-challenged:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/SgjF1YdKCdg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 03-03-15, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fmian
Me too. I never put much thought into it beyond that. It wasn't until I bought my first handgun a few years ago and noticed the spiraling of the barrel while cleaning it one day.

I feel silly for not realizing it sooner.
Old 03-04-15, 04:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Wow....I am surprised people still didn't know this. It's pretty clear I think, hence the turning, shooting and blood. The spiral just makes it even more obvious. Always liked the setup.
Old 03-04-15, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

C'mon guys, it's well known that Bond hates paparazzi.
Old 03-05-15, 08:50 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I thought it was the POV eye of the shooter, until a few years ago, when I read a detailed entry about it on Wikipedia. One of the editors of the fanzine The Comic Reader (Mike Tiefenbacher?) called it "the blood-on-the-iris" opening. An episode of American Dad had Stan Smith in a parody of the Bond opening. Stan got shot in the shoulder and said, "Oww! What the hell?!!? Wait! You're a gun?!!? I always thought you were like an eyeball or something!"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_barrel_sequence
Old 03-05-15, 09:04 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow....I am surprised people still didn't know this. It's pretty clear I think, hence the turning, shooting and blood. The spiral just makes it even more obvious. Always liked the setup.
the problem with it is the blood. The setup doesn't make sense unless you know it's a gun barrel. Especially if you don't know what the barrel looks like inside. Then the blood doesn't make sense at all. Why would the barrel have blood going down the viewpoint of inside? It doesn't make sense in literal logic... but it's a damn fine visual.

I honestly didn't know it was the gun barrel we were looking from till like like 6 years ago when I bought a gun and dismantled it. I always thought it was something else gun related for us to have a viewpoint but not the barrel.
Old 03-05-15, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Just for the record, the "through-the-gun-barrel" shot originated in Sam Fuller's FORTY GUNS (1957), when Gene Barry looks at his future bride, Eve Brent, through a rifle barrel.

And then Godard duplicated it by having Jean Seberg look at Belmondo through a newspaper in BREATHLESS (1960).
Old 03-05-15, 10:29 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Just for the record, the "through-the-gun-barrel" shot originated in Sam Fuller's FORTY GUNS (1957), when Gene Barry looks at his future bride, Eve Brent, through a rifle barrel.

And then Godard duplicated it by having Jean Seberg look at Belmondo through a newspaper in BREATHLESS (1960).
Was the Barry character looking through a literal barrel in the film or was that just a visual thing?

It's a cool shot. I'll have to find that one.
Old 03-16-15, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

In the To Live and Die in LA car chase, the lanes of traffic are reversed, so actually William Peterson and pursuers are the only ones going the right way.

Old 02-21-18, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I just finished watching Reservoir Dogs again and after seeing the movie at least a dozen times I never realized the implication when Mr. Blonde shows up in the warehouse after the robbery. I always noticed he was drinking from a fast food cup but never thought much more beyond that. After watching it tonight I realized that immediately following a bloodbath shootout, when all hell was breaking loose, and with a cop locked in his trunk, Mr. Blonde actually stopped to go through a fast food drive thru.

That just makes his psychopath character all the more crazy.
Old 02-21-18, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Empire Strikes Back. Towards the end Darth Vader says he’s Luke Skywalker’s father. Never realized it but after a lifetime of seeing it dozens of times but Vader is actually revealing to Luke that Obi-Wan was lying to him about Vader killing his father and that Vader himself biologically made sex to Luke’s mom and, as such, is Luke’s dad and not the guy who killed Luke’s dad.

It’s subtle little touches like this that reward the fans.
Old 02-21-18, 10:37 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Guru Askew
The Empire Strikes Back. Towards the end Darth Vader says he’s Luke Skywalker’s father. Never realized it but after a lifetime of seeing it dozens of times but Vader is actually revealing to Luke that Obi-Wan was lying to him about Vader killing his father and that Vader himself biologically made sex to Luke’s mom and, as such, is Luke’s dad and not the guy who killed Luke’s dad.

It’s subtle little touches like this that reward the fans.
Old 02-22-18, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Funny how this thread has popped up again and i noticed something new this week in a movie. I re-watched the classic Paul Newman movie The Verdict and in his final courtroom speech at the end of the movie you can see two people sat next to each other behind him are none other than Bruce Willis and Tobin Bell.
Old 02-22-18, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

And heres the proof
Old 02-22-18, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts

Since I've been doing a weekly Marvel marathon (Leading up to Infinity War) I never noticed Yensin's appearance at the beginning of Iron Man 3.
Old 02-22-18, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,659 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Yay to a thread bump!

Another one I just recently noticed - I've seen Airplane a hundred times and never noticed that when they talk to the Mayo Clinic, there are jars of mayonnaise on the wall in the background

It's even in the trailer and I never saw it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.