DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Movies and your relationship (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/597530-movies-your-relationship.html)

The Bus 12-23-11 12:04 AM

Movies and your relationship

The thread in Video Game Talk started my thinking on this.

Of the movie genres you see, how often does your significant other join in? Are there genres that you both love, or ones that (s)he likes that you do not? What about past relationships?

Currently, she's good to see anything unless it's horror (she did relent and see <b>Paranormal Activity</b> in theaters), gross-out comedy, or very slow indie/foreign films. This covers only about 25% of the movies I'd see anyway. I tend to avoid rom-coms in theaters (at least assembly line ones with, say, Kate Hudson in them). She likes <b>Porco Rosso</b>, <b>Girl with the Dragon Tattoo</b>, and most Oscar fare. I can't complain.

One of my exes was game for anything (even, ahem, "European" films). Another would watch anything as long as it didn't have subtitles (she just didn't like reading while seeing a movie). Another didn't like to watch any sad or "disturbing" movies, with her definition being so broad as to basically include any film with a dramatic arc.

davidh777 12-23-11 12:53 AM

Re: Movies and your relationship

Wife doesn't like action but will watch sci-fi so I can't complain too much. I will watch her romantic comedies but try to avoid the terminal-illness dramas.

asianxcore 12-23-11 02:57 AM

My girlfriend is usually up for any genre aside from Horror, Exploitation/Cult, Martial Arts and (most) brain-dead Action films.

EdTheRipper 12-23-11 05:11 AM

My wife will watch pretty much anything I am watching. There's stuff that doesn't really interest her all that much, but she'll stick with it to keep me company.

Charlie Goose 12-23-11 05:57 AM

My wife likes cheesy horror or raunchy comedies, but she'll see other stuff if I push. She kicked up a bit of a fuss when I wanted to see The Muppets, but she ended up liking it okay.

Ash Ketchum 12-23-11 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by asianxcore (Post 11052851)
My girlfriend is usually up for any genre aside from Horror, Exploitation/Cult, Martial Arts and (most) brain-dead Action films.

Well, that doesn't leave much, does it? :D

Randy Miller III 12-23-11 07:40 AM

My wife will watch most anything except for certain horror movies that deal with the occult (demons, ouija boards, etc.), subtitled dramas and movies with a lot of swearing (angry swearing, not funny swearing).

Oh, and she also can't stand needles. Guess how far she made it into Pulp Fiction? :D

MrSmearkase 12-23-11 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper (Post 11052877)
My wife will watch pretty much anything I am watching. There's stuff that doesn't really interest her all that much, but she'll stick with it to keep me company.

Same here, although there are a few examples of going to the theatre alone because I know she definitely won't like the movie (The Three Musketeers and Footloose being two recent examples).

palebluedot 12-23-11 10:35 AM

My wife will watch anything at home...but since her first language is not English she tends to only want to see the big action films at the theater...since there is no thinking involved and not hard to follow the dialog.

Dan 12-23-11 10:50 AM

When it comes to seeing movies in the theatre, I think we're on opposite sides of the spectrum. I'm very selective about what I'll go see, but she has no problem paying $12 or more to see every single assembly-line rom-com or PG-13 "horror" movie on opening night. Luckily, she has a friend who goes to see that stuff with her.

For the movies I'm interested in (usually big, but GOOD, action movies*, sci-fi, indie comedies, foreign films, etc.), she's occasionally willing to go, but usually only on the cheap nights (Tuesdays). Overall, I'm more interested in Directors or Writers, while she's more interested in Actors (with some exceptions)

I love to see movies on Saturdays or Sundays at the earliest time possible. She hates doing that. I absolutely HATE 3D, but she's indifferent. I might make an exception for Prometheus, but only after I see it in 2D first.

* by this, I mean that if there's any hint that it's going to be a "big dumb action movie" like Battle: LA or Transformers, I won't bother seeing it until it hits Blu-ray and/or Netflix, if at all. If there's even a tiny hint of moderate intelligence to the film, then I'll check it out.

foofighters7 12-23-11 11:13 AM

A very large percentage of films I see are Dramas and I love world films.

My wife will watch pretty much anything I put in but she's always begging for Comedies because I prefer the darker side of human nature.

I actually love comedies but most are just crap anymore. It's rare to find something that I find really funny.

I have always been obsessed with film so I have seen a great deal of films from around the world. She only would watch something foreign here and there before me, so I try to expose her to some of the better films I've seen.

Just showed her Kurosawa's 'High and Low' the other night and she really liked it.

We have similar taste but it can differ quite a bit at times. This year specifically, we have differed quite a bit on the stuff we have seen theatrically.

We both loved 'Drive'. Both liked 'Tree of Life' and 'Midnight in Paris' but differed on 'Hugo', 'The Descendants' and 'Moneyball' to an extent.

Last girl I was with was open to anything as well.

Frankly, I wouldn't have been with a girl who would refuse to watch a film with subtitles.

Being open to world cinema and other cultures means a great deal to me and I would have needed my significant other to have similar feelings.

Couldn't have asked for more in my wife. She's a fantastic girl. Smart, funny and looking for adventure with whatever comes her way.

islandclaws 12-23-11 11:25 AM

New chick I'm with seems to be into watching most anything, although I can tell she gets creeped the fuck out by most horror. We watched the original "Black Christmas" recently and she was pretty scared. Otherwise, seems like she's open to most of what I like. Guess we'll see as time goes on...

foofighters7 12-23-11 11:38 AM

she's a pussy, dump her.

dex14 12-23-11 12:31 PM

she has a pussy, dont.

islandclaws 12-23-11 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by foofighters7 (Post 11053187)
she's a pussy, dump her.

Originally Posted by dex14 (Post 11053245)
she has a pussy, dont.

Uh, don't worry about that. She more than makes up for it in every other area. :up:

foofighters7 12-23-11 01:25 PM

like orally stimulating...conversation.

Shannon Nutt 12-23-11 02:44 PM

The main difference for me is that my wife won't see anything by herself (thus, I had to endure BREAKING DAWN), but I'll go on my own all the time.

One things for sure, she HATES Judd Apatow and Kevin Smith movies. She hated CLERKS and KNOCKED UP, and I told her she was on her own with BRIDESMAIDS (Apatow-produced). She streamed it on demand and - yep - can't stop talking about how much she hated it.

I am happy to report I converted her to STAR TREK though...at least the JJ Abrams version. She thought it was great.

Tarantino 12-23-11 02:52 PM

My wife doesn't like horror, most foreign, or "older" films, so I watch those while she's working. When we're at home, she'll pick one and then I'll pick the next, and it goes from there. I endure rom-coms & she endures whatever I pick.

All of my relationships have been pretty similar.