Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Who would you like to see play Batman next?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Who would you like to see play Batman next?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-11, 08:57 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Who would you like to see play Batman next?

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
Where would his talents be better used? Directing remakes (i.e. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo)? I would like to see his style applied to at least one Batman movie and, like Nolan, could get a couple of his own projects off the ground if successful. I don't quite understand when people use the "director using their talents elsewhere" argument.

As for Batman Beyond, I agree, that would be interesting to see.

Edited to note that I am looking forward to Fincher's take on TGWTDT, so it's not a putdown on him.
It's not a remake of the film..just another adaptation of the book.
Old 12-20-11, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by The Infidel
These last two movies have been so good (and I'm sure the third will be just as good), I think they should just stop making them altogether. Stop trying to milk something that's at its peak, since it's likely that anything they slap together would pale greatly by comparison. Tim Burton/Michael Keaton did an okay Batman, and the rest only got progressively worse and wound up being completely forgettable until Christopher Nolan got it right. I say let it end. The only place to go from here is down.
If Nolan comes back for a fourth batman it should be Frank Millers "The Dark Knight Returns". That would make a great end to Nolan's Batman
Old 12-20-11, 09:28 PM
Banned

.....I don't think that'll happen too soon if all..which I don't think it ever would. It'd also not make sense if you want it to connect via continuity.
Old 12-21-11, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
It's not a remake of the film..just another adaptation of the book.
I stand corrected. Though it still kind of bugs me when people say a director's "talents would be much better used elsewhere." It's not like doing 3 Batman movies (assuming whomever takes over does their own trilogy) will take up a good chunk of their career. The Nolan trilogy has spanned only 8-9 years (w/ pre-production on Batman Begins) and in between he made 2 other movies.
Old 12-21-11, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
I personally think TDKR can be just as good as TDK. I think the story deserves a final chapter in Nolan's hands. After that well, it's going to be hard to like anyone else's vision. I can still enjoy the Burton stuff because it predates Nolan's films, but for this is THE Batman series I always wanted.

P.S. I never read nor do I care about the comics.
I feel the exact same way verbatim, including your mention of the comics.
Old 12-21-11, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
Where would his talents be better used? Directing remakes (i.e. The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo)? I would like to see his style applied to at least one Batman movie and, like Nolan, could get a couple of his own projects off the ground if successful. I don't quite understand when people use the "director using their talents elsewhere" argument.

As for Batman Beyond, I agree, that would be interesting to see.

Edited to note that I am looking forward to Fincher's take on TGWTDT, so it's not a putdown on him.

I guess I just feel that with Nolan, Batman has been done already, and I would hate to see him waste a movie in a rehash. Yeah yeah I know it wont exactly be a rehash, but you would see an origin story again as well the joker as a villain at some point. I would much rather see Fincher do something original (though at least 3 of his previous movies have been adaptations)
Old 12-21-11, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Dash
I guess I just feel that with Nolan, Batman has been done already, and I would hate to see him waste a movie in a rehash. Yeah yeah I know it wont exactly be a rehash, but you would see an origin story again as well the joker as a villain at some point. I would much rather see Fincher do something original (though at least 3 of his previous movies have been adaptations)
I agree that I'd rather see the next Batman movie begin with him already established. It could be done in a similar fashion to The Incredible Hulk where perhaps the "origin" is done in a couple of minutes or something and then move on from there. As mrhan said, I'd be interested to see Fincher's take on it. And given Warner is going to go through with it within a few years after TDKR's release, I'd want the best possible...
Old 12-23-11, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Keep Christian Bale around as Batman.
I don't think I could stomach Christian Bale's awful Batman voice any longer. I'll suffer through this last film. But Batman needs to go on about a 5-10 year hiatus after this film. I know it won't because Hollywood will milk anything and everything until it's dead. But it needs a break, especially if Nolan is done.
Old 12-23-11, 04:11 PM

MICHAEL KEATON! Nuff said.
Old 12-23-11, 04:22 PM
Banned

In BB it was fine. In TDK they gruffed up a bit too much. I'm assuming that was an audio fix in post? Wonder what it'll be in TDKR.
Old 12-23-11, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I don't really know why people complain so much about Bale's Batman voice. It makes sense that he would change his voice as he's trying his best to conceal his identity. It sounds a little weird at first but I got used to it pretty fast and it goes with the character well.
Old 12-23-11, 08:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know about Batman, but I vote Chris Colfer for the Joker. I don't know if he can pull it off acting-wise, but he does kinda have a "Joker" face.
Old 12-24-11, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Robert Downey Jr. in the damsel facade in the 2nd Sherlock Holmes looked a bit like Heath Ledgers in the Joker make-up, with the pasty face and the lipstick smeared across his lips and lower cheeks.
Old 12-24-11, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

Originally Posted by Patman
Robert Downey Jr. in the damsel facade in the 2nd Sherlock Holmes looked a bit like Heath Ledgers in the Joker make-up, with the pasty face and the lipstick smeared across his lips and lower cheeks.
I actually thought that myself when I was watching it.
Old 12-24-11, 03:09 PM

I'm gonna be the mouthpiece of DVDTalk and say that Christina Hendricks should play Batman next.
Old 12-24-11, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by LickTheABCs
I'm gonna be the mouthpiece of DVDTalk and say that Christina Hendricks should play Batman next.
I wouldn't mind seeing her as Wonder Woman first.
Old 12-24-11, 03:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Clearly Donald Glover should be Batman next
Old 12-24-11, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike86
I don't really know why people complain so much about Bale's Batman voice. It makes sense that he would change his voice as he's trying his best to conceal his identity. It sounds a little weird at first but I got used to it pretty fast and it goes with the character well.
If he was that dogmatic about concealing his identity, his costume wouldn't have the lower half of his face exposed. In fact, in the context of him trying to establish the persona as 'something more than a man', making sure no human features were visible at all (including having a white lens over the eye holes) would have served that purpose in greater capacity. Covering up the mouth area (ala a previous incarnation of Batgirl in the comics) would have also provided the perfect excuse to have the voice naturally modified so we wouldn't have to suffer Bales silly (and not very intimidating) girly whisper.
With the mouth fully concealed you could have contrived a built in vocalizer that not only disguised his voice, but made it sound truly spooky and intimidating. In fact, even without fully covering the lower face, Nolan could have easily done this in Begins with a line of dialogue between Alfred and Bruce talking about some gadget sown into the neck piece of the suit that would distort his speaking voice. Instead he went with the low/no tech approach- that makes some of us roll our eyes every time the title character opens his mouth.
Old 12-24-11, 05:10 PM

Harrison Ford as Grumpy Old Batman.
Old 12-25-11, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
If he was that dogmatic about concealing his identity, his costume wouldn't have the lower half of his face exposed. In fact, in the context of him trying to establish the persona as 'something more than a man', making sure no human features were visible at all (including having a white lens over the eye holes) would have served that purpose in greater capacity. Covering up the mouth area (ala a previous incarnation of Batgirl in the comics) would have also provided the perfect excuse to have the voice naturally modified so we wouldn't have to suffer Bales silly (and not very intimidating) girly whisper.
With the mouth fully concealed you could have contrived a built in vocalizer that not only disguised his voice, but made it sound truly spooky and intimidating. In fact, even without fully covering the lower face, Nolan could have easily done this in Begins with a line of dialogue between Alfred and Bruce talking about some gadget sown into the neck piece of the suit that would distort his speaking voice. Instead he went with the low/no tech approach- that makes some of us roll our eyes every time the title character opens his mouth.
You seem to be way over-analyzing here. First off I really doubt that anyone is going to recognize who a person is just by looking at their lower face. Unless he had something really distinctive like a scar or something but as it is you basically only see a bit of his chin and his mouth area. Secondly why would Nolan change the classic Batman mask look? Doing so would make fanboys would go nuts and bitch and moan and not really serve a lot of purpose. The way it's done makes sense to me in that he's basically hidden with the mask and makes his voice sound different than when he's not fighting crime.
Old 12-25-11, 01:54 PM

Crispin Glover as The Ridler or Batman!

Last edited by monobullet; 12-25-11 at 02:12 PM.
Old 12-25-11, 02:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mike86
I don't really know why people complain so much about Bale's Batman voice.
Because it sounds absolutely ridiculous. The End.
Old 12-25-11, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
Of course, you have taken on the needless role of be-all / end-all of discussion, just like in the TDKR thread.

No surprise you saying this.
Old 12-25-11, 11:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
Good reason! You really back up your explanation with a lot of valid points to justifiably say the end! You like to go around starting arguments just for the sake of it don't you?
Old 12-26-11, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nor sure about Batman, but Neil Patrick Harris should play The Riddler.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.