Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Young Messiah - D: Cyrus Nowrasteh (based on Anne Rice novel)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Young Messiah - D: Cyrus Nowrasteh (based on Anne Rice novel)

Old 12-06-11, 10:38 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
The Infidel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Posts: 11,559
Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts
The Young Messiah - D: Cyrus Nowrasteh (based on Anne Rice novel)

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118047054

After helping bring Harry Potter and Kevin McCallister to life, Chris Columbus is looking to put another famous kid up on the big screen: Jesus Christ.

Columbus' 1492 Pictures and CJ Entertainment have acquired the rights to the Anne Rice tome "Christ the Lord: Out of Egypt," which tells the story of a seven-year-old Jesus, who departs Egypt with his family to return home to Nazareth and discovers the truth about his birth, who he is, and his purpose in life.

Cyrus Nowrasteh will direct from a screenplay he penned with Betsy Nowrasteh. Columbus will produce along with Michael Barnathan and Mark Radcliffe through 1492 Pictures with Sean Lee, Patricia Chun and Keo Lee producing through CJ Entertainment.

Rice came to Nowrasteh first and asked if he would take on the project after seeing his film "The Stoning of Soraya M." After agreeing to write and direct the project, Nowrasteh brought it to Columbus and Marnathan at 1492.

"This film has the potential to be a cinematic classic, a picture that will appeal to all ages, all around the world," Columbus said. "I am proud to be part of this incredible production."

The Nowrastehs and Rice are repped by CAA. Columbus and 1492 are repped by WME.

---------------------------------------------------

Anne Rice, via her Facebook page:

"I'm very grateful that such excellent people are doing the film. I've read the script. It's beautiful, and deeply faithful to my novel. I'm very very happy, to say the least."

Last edited by The Infidel; 12-07-11 at 12:06 AM.
Old 12-06-11, 10:58 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Hero
 
PopcornTreeCt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 25,913
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Chris Columbus to produce Christ the Lord: Out of Egypt (Anne Rice novel)

Gag. Anne Rice should've stuck to vampires.
Old 12-06-11, 11:21 PM
  #3  
Moderator
 
Groucho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 71,383
Received 120 Likes on 82 Posts
Re: Chris Columbus to produce Christ the Lord: Out of Egypt (Anne Rice novel)

I haven't read the novel, but is it safe to assume that Jesus is portrayed as a self-hating homosexual?
Old 12-06-11, 11:25 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Legend
 
bunkaroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Chicago West Suburbs
Posts: 16,314
Received 166 Likes on 110 Posts
Re: Chris Columbus to produce Christ the Lord: Out of Egypt (Anne Rice novel)

Hope it turns into a series:

Christ Alone
Christ Alone 2: Lost in Mesopotamia
Old 12-06-11, 11:27 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,243
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Chris Columbus to produce Christ the Lord: Out of Egypt (Anne Rice novel)

Fuck. Hollywood has stolen my Jesus Begins idea!
Old 12-07-11, 12:30 AM
  #6  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 40,359
Received 1,757 Likes on 1,252 Posts
Re: Chris Columbus to produce Christ the Lord: Out of Egypt (Anne Rice novel)

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt View Post
Gag. Anne Rice should've stuck to vampires.
You wouldn't say that if you had read her last couple of vampire novels...
Old 12-07-11, 01:14 AM
  #7  
Banned
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 7,982
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Chris Columbus to produce Christ the Lord: Out of Egypt (Anne Rice novel)

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
I haven't read the novel, but is it safe to assume that Jesus is portrayed as a self-hating homosexual?
Not with these people behind the project.
Old 12-07-11, 04:03 AM
  #8  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 12,058
Received 55 Likes on 45 Posts
Re: Chris Columbus to produce Christ the Lord: Out of Egypt (Anne Rice novel)

So does Jesus fight Vampires in this one?
Old 12-07-11, 09:16 AM
  #9  
DVD Talk Legend
 
bunkaroo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Chicago West Suburbs
Posts: 16,314
Received 166 Likes on 110 Posts
Re: Chris Columbus to produce Christ the Lord: Out of Egypt (Anne Rice novel)

I hope so. I want one of the vamps to suck the Lord's blood and then say "mmmm....the Blood of Christ....Amen!"
Old 12-07-11, 09:42 AM
  #10  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 40,359
Received 1,757 Likes on 1,252 Posts
Re: Chris Columbus to produce Christ the Lord: Out of Egypt (Anne Rice novel)

Originally Posted by mhg83 View Post
So does Jesus fight Vampires in this one?
No, but He gives Marius a blowjob.
Old 12-07-11, 12:23 PM
  #11  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: California
Posts: 3,323
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Chris Columbus to produce Christ the Lord: Out of Egypt (Anne Rice novel)

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt View Post
Gag. Anne Rice should've stuck to vampires.
Do you realize how much money her vampire movies would make nowadays?
Old 12-07-11, 12:27 PM
  #12  
DRG
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: ND
Posts: 13,421
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Chris Columbus to produce Christ the Lord: Out of Egypt (Anne Rice novel)

Originally Posted by bunkaroo View Post
Hope it turns into a series:

Christ Alone
Christ Alone 2: Lost in Mesopotamia
I'd prefer to see Mrs. Christfire.
Old 12-07-11, 12:29 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Legend
 
raven56706's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA
Posts: 21,767
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Chris Columbus to produce Christ the Lord: Out of Egypt (Anne Rice novel)

Jesus Christ Begins

Jesus and the lost bread for dinner

Jesus 3- Amen!
Old 12-07-11, 06:08 PM
  #14  
Banned by request
 
Supermallet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Termite Terrace
Posts: 54,150
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Chris Columbus to produce Christ the Lord: Out of Egypt (Anne Rice novel)

Originally Posted by mhg83 View Post
So does Jesus fight Vampires in this one?
Already done.

Old 09-02-15, 09:34 AM
  #15  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
The Infidel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Posts: 11,559
Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts
Re: Chris Columbus to produce Christ the Lord: Out of Egypt (Anne Rice novel)

Christ the Lord: Out of Egypt gets a new title, a release date, and we get a first picture of the young actor in the title role.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/filmcha...new-title.html
Old 09-02-15, 09:54 AM
  #16  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: MA
Posts: 7,661
Received 150 Likes on 122 Posts
Re: Chris Columbus to produce Christ the Lord: Out of Egypt (Anne Rice novel)

Originally Posted by The Infidel View Post
http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118047054

After helping bring Harry Potter and Kevin McCallister to life, Chris Columbus is looking to put another famous kid up on the big screen: Jesus Christ.

Columbus' 1492 Pictures and CJ Entertainment have acquired the rights to the Anne Rice tome "Christ the Lord: Out of Egypt," which tells the story of a seven-year-old Jesus, who departs Egypt with his family to return home to Nazareth and discovers the truth about his birth, who he is, and his purpose in life.

Cyrus Nowrasteh will direct from a screenplay he penned with Betsy Nowrasteh. Columbus will produce along with Michael Barnathan and Mark Radcliffe through 1492 Pictures with Sean Lee, Patricia Chun and Keo Lee producing through CJ Entertainment.

Rice came to Nowrasteh first and asked if he would take on the project after seeing his film "The Stoning of Soraya M." After agreeing to write and direct the project, Nowrasteh brought it to Columbus and Marnathan at 1492.

"This film has the potential to be a cinematic classic, a picture that will appeal to all ages, all around the world," Columbus said. "I am proud to be part of this incredible production."

The Nowrastehs and Rice are repped by CAA. Columbus and 1492 are repped by WME.

---------------------------------------------------

Anne Rice, via her Facebook page:

"I'm very grateful that such excellent people are doing the film. I've read the script. It's beautiful, and deeply faithful to my novel. I'm very very happy, to say the least."
Plot sounds like Jesus Christ: the Phantom Menace
Old 09-02-15, 10:17 AM
  #17  
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Indiana
Posts: 5,426
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Chris Columbus to produce Christ the Lord: Out of Egypt (Anne Rice novel)

Originally Posted by raven56706 View Post
Jesus Christ Begins

Jesus and the lost bread for dinner

Jesus 3- Amen!
Jesus Begins
Holy Knight
Jesus Rises


Originally Posted by Deadman31 View Post
Plot sounds like Jesus Christ: the Phantom Menace
A movie about 7-year old Jesus has disaster written all over it. "Are you an angel?" "Nobody can kill a Jedi Holy Warrior! Nobody!" "I'm a pod camel racer!"
Old 09-02-15, 10:25 AM
  #18  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
inri222's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 50,673
Received 179 Likes on 118 Posts
Re: The Young Messiah - D: Cyrus Nowrasteh (based on Anne Rice novel)

Another tale of a caucasian Jesus, nice!!!!
Old 09-02-15, 12:30 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 44,142
Received 768 Likes on 623 Posts
Re: The Young Messiah - D: Cyrus Nowrasteh (based on Anne Rice novel)

After seeing how much shit Fox got for casting a black Human Torch and how much debate a black Bond gets, I'm sort of surprised at the number of times he's been cast as a white guy. But who knows, maybe they white washed it with all the other bullshit told about him.
Old 09-02-15, 12:40 PM
  #20  
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Formerly known as "Solid Snake PAC"/Denton, Tx
Posts: 39,239
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: The Young Messiah - D: Cyrus Nowrasteh (based on Anne Rice novel)

I think it started w/ the Italians and their art. They made him white. And then it just carried on cuz well...If it ain't white, it ain't right.
Old 09-18-15, 09:33 AM
  #21  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
The Infidel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: the kingdom of the evil Voratians, ruled by the wicked Ak-Oga
Posts: 11,559
Received 56 Likes on 33 Posts
Re: The Young Messiah - D: Cyrus Nowrasteh (based on Anne Rice novel)


Last edited by The Infidel; 03-12-16 at 09:04 PM.
Old 09-18-15, 10:01 AM
  #22  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
inri222's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 50,673
Received 179 Likes on 118 Posts
Re: The Young Messiah - D: Cyrus Nowrasteh (based on Anne Rice novel)

Young new age androgynous European Jesus. That looks horrible.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.