Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Lockout -- D: Mather/Leger S: Guy Pierce, Maggie Grace, Peter Stormare -- 4/20/12

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Lockout -- D: Mather/Leger S: Guy Pierce, Maggie Grace, Peter Stormare -- 4/20/12

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-12, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Lockout -- D: Mather/Leger S: Guy Pierce, Maggie Grace, Peter Stormare -- 4/20/12

Nice review!
Old 04-11-12, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts
Re: Lockout -- D: Mather/Leger S: Guy Pierce, Maggie Grace, Peter Stormare -- 4/20/12

I mean it seems like it could be fun and I'm a fan of Guy Pearce, but on the other hand it just seems like someone pitched an idea and added "in space" at the end.

Last edited by bluetoast; 04-11-12 at 09:08 PM. Reason: GOOF UP!
Old 04-11-12, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by bluetoast
I'm a fan of Guy Ritchie

Originally Posted by bluetoast
it just seems like someone pitched an idea and added "in space" at the end.
What's wrong with that? Seems to me like more movies could benefit by being set in space.

The King's Speech - IN SPACE!
Human Centipede - IN SPACE!
Jack & Jill - IN SPACE!!!
Old 04-11-12, 08:52 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

for those of you who hate Grace...this might be fun.

<object width="600" height="387"><param name="movie" value="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/55072"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.traileraddict.com/emd/55072" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" wmode="transparent" width="600" height="387" allowFullScreen="true"></embed></object>
Old 04-11-12, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Jeffy Pop

What's wrong with that? Seems to me like more movies could benefit by being set in space.

The King's Speech - IN SPACE!
Human Centipede - IN SPACE!
Jack & Jill - IN SPACE!!!
To the first comment. Guy Pearce! Guy Ritchie....not so much after Sherlock Holmes, but I loved Snatch and Lock,Stock.

to the second comment. I...would see all of those. Damn, maybe they were right about this setting.
Old 04-12-12, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I think this will be like 'Die Hard' meets 'Blade Runner'. Probably will turn out to be one of the best action movies of the year. I'm going to guess it will be ridiculously entertaining!
Old 04-13-12, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I like Guy Pearce, but the reviews for this film are not being kind, and that is an understatement. Many of reviews are absolutely brutal.
Old 04-16-12, 08:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Really wanna see this. Huge Pierce fan and everytime I see the trailer it looks better!

Damn, looks like the 2 movies I wanna see are getting beat up in reviews
Old 04-17-12, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Ravenous
Damn, looks like the 2 movies I wanna see are getting beat up in reviews
I went in really wanting to love it, but it's just kind of average. Go see Cabin in the Woods instead.
Old 04-22-12, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought it was enjoyable, 3/5 for me.
Old 04-23-12, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

4/5 for me.
Not a ton of action tbh and the CG at the beginning is crap. But Pearce is great in this. Some really good one liners and it has quite a good ending.

There was a scene half through and it was odd and I thought a scene had been cut out and then they explained it later so that through me off.

Highly recommended.
Old 04-24-12, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

I would have rather seen this film with Snake Plissken and directed by old man Carpenter.
Old 07-07-12, 01:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually thought this was a lot of fun. Pierce's character was a throwback to the badasses of old, kicking ass and tossing around one liners. My only gripe with the movie was
Spoiler:
there was no real showdown/battle with either of the main villains and their disposal seemed way too easy. I was looking forward to Pierce going toe to toe with each of them (especially the psychopath) and it just never happened.
Old 07-07-12, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Now that you mentioned the lack of final showdown, I agree. But at the time I really didn't miss it. Weird. Excited about the Unrated Blu coming on the 27th.
Old 07-08-12, 08:36 PM

Yea I saw this too and it was great. The worse part was the horrible CGI bike chase but it was a good flick and better than the other director for hire Luc Besson Films.

I didnt notice or miss a final show down scene either. Looking forward to that blu!
Old 08-06-12, 01:57 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

Really enjoyed this, warts and all. I agree about the anticlimactic fight scene with the baddies.... Pearce made a decent antihero, although some of the lines he was forced to say were pretty atrocious. Got a real Star Wars vibe at the end with the space battle. All in all, glad I spent $1 on it.
Old 08-09-12, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 263 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by Chadm
I would have rather seen this film with Snake Plissken and directed by old man Carpenter.
Agree.

Pretty forgetable if you ask me... but I shut the extra's off when one of the film makers was trying to say how great the character was. Complete rip-off of Snake but they were trying to pass it off like it was some new great idea they came up with.
Old 08-09-12, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

it was meh. maggie grace is a horrible actress. guy pearce was awesome as was lennie james.
Old 08-12-12, 06:20 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Fuck this movie was awful. The dialogue was horrendous, the acting from everyone but Pearce was pathetic, and the direction was spastic. Can't believe anyone liked this.
Old 08-13-12, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Aside from Rudy from the UK show Misfits, it was a big miss for me. Guy had a few good lines, but since he kept to that one note the entire movie even that got old.
Old 12-09-12, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I didn't care much for it. It was an interesting premise, but middling execution. The actions scenes were all lacking. Very little back story on any of the main characters. Although Guy Pearce can be a believable action hero, here he was trying to be the cliched smartass loose cannon but just came off as annoying. His supposedly witty banter with Maggie Grace was mostly awful, and in some cases, painful.
Old 01-11-15, 10:40 PM
Banned

Bought this for super cheap on Amazon. Hrmm. It's pretty weak but fun to see Pearce. Go for Pearce having fun and that's about it. Jesus. Some of the CGI was really bad too. Pretty much everything is lackluster for this. Even Pearce to a degree.
Old 01-11-15, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

I actually loved this movie, despite the ridiculously sped up chase at the beginning. It's basically a self aware Escape From New York knock-off IN SPACE. Guy Pearce and Maggie Grace play well off one another and it never outstays its welcome, at just above 90 minutes. Heck, I'd love to see a sequel with both of them back together.
Old 10-16-15, 09:36 AM

Received 4,558 Likes on 3,093 Posts

2012's LOCKOUT starring Guy Pearce has been described by more than a few as an ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK ripoff, and apparently director John Carpenter didn't take too kindly to how much the filmmakers "borrowed" from his movie for their sci-fi actioner. Carpenter has won a plagiarism suit against production company EuropaCorp and screenwriters Luc Besson, Stephen St. Leger and James Mather, with a French court ruling that they are guilty of lifting plot elements from the 1981 dystopian film.

EuropaCorp has been ordered to pay 50,000 Euros to the rights owner of the movie, 20,000 to Carpenter and 10,000 to Nick Castle, Carpenter's ESCAPE FROM NEW YORK co-writer.

Excerpt of the ruling from Observatoire européen de l'audiovisuel:

In reaching its decision, the court recalled that although ideas are free to be used and there could be no protection merely for the theme of a film, it was nevertheless possible to consider whether the form of the film was not a characteristic feature, and whether its reproduction was such as to constitute infringement of copyright; this was determined by considering similarities rather than differences. The court therefore embarked on a detailed comparison of the plot and development of the films, their characters, and the sequences filmed, in order to determine the similarities between the works and deteremine whether these were sufficiently significant to be characteristic of infringement of copyright.

A number of elements present in both [Escape from New York] and ‘Lock-Out’ could in fact be considered as stock elements in the cinema. Other elements differed, such as the pace of the film and the special effects, but this could be because of the amount of time that had passed between the releases of the two films - 1981 and 2012 - and by the evolution in both techniques and mentalities in the intervening period. The court nevertheless noted many similarities between the two science-fiction films: both presented an athletic, rebellious and cynical hero, sentenced to a period of isolated incarceration - despite his heroic past - who is given the offer of setting out to free the President of the United States or his daughter held hostage in exchange for his freedom; he manages, undetected, to get inside the place where the hostage is being held, after a flight in a glider/space shuttle, and finds there a former associate who dies; he pulls off the mission in extremis, and at the end of the film keeps the secret documents recovered in the course of the mission.

The court held that the combination of these elements, which gave the film [Escape from New York] its particular appearance and originality, had been reproduced in ‘Lock-Out’, apart from certain scenes and specific details that were only present in the first film. The difference in the location of the action and the more modern character featured in ‘Lock-Out’ was not enough to differentiate the two films. The disputed film seemed to be in the same vein as [Escape from New York], and this had indeed been picked up in a number of press articles.

LOCKOUT isn't the first movie to be accused of swiping story and plot elements from a film, but it can be very difficult to prove, so I'm a little surprised that Carpenter won his case against EuropaCorp. Do you agree with the court's decision?
http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/john...filmmakers-187
Old 10-16-15, 09:45 AM
Banned

Damn.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.