Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

New Year's Eve (D: Garry Marshall, 2011) - Swank, Heigl, Kutcher, cast of thousands)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

New Year's Eve (D: Garry Marshall, 2011) - Swank, Heigl, Kutcher, cast of thousands)

Old 12-10-11, 06:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts
Re: New Year's Eve (D: Garry Marshall, 2011) - Swank, Heigl, Kutcher, cast of thousan

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
I just checked IMDB and saw that the last decent movie that DeNiro was in was Ronin back in '98. Yikes.
I just watched that last weekend and think that's pretty spot on unfortunately. Not only was it his last decent movie, it was also the last one where he played the kind of tough guy role for which he is/was known without it being (or coming across as ) a spoof.

If WB had chosen to sprinkle bits of The Dark Knight Rises in with the multiple stories, I might have given this a shot, but alas...
Old 12-10-11, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: New Year's Eve (D: Garry Marshall, 2011) - Swank, Heigl, Kutcher, cast of thousan

As a companion piece to "Valentine's Day," Gary Marshall's "New Year's Eve" is a rather inert piece of filmmaking, and the final resolution of the tangetial relationships of the criss-crossing subplots didn't quite hit the spot for me for many of the characters, so it's pretty much a miss, but you pretty much know what you're in for if you've seen the earlier film. I don't even know what they were thinking in how they resolved the Josh Duhamel's character's subplot, it doesn't make any sense. Hilary Swank's character's subplot was also "meh". Just a lot of average screenwriting.

I give it 2 stars, or a grade of C.
Old 12-12-11, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by rexinnih
Still no love, even though Garry directed The Princess Bride?
Still no one has noticed that mistake. Well except you.
Old 01-01-12, 02:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts

My teen wanted to see this so I figured what better day to go than today. Kind of fun to watch tonight's festivities shortly after seeing them depicted on the screen.