Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

David Gordon Green's downward spiral.

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 12-06-11, 12:05 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it possible for a filmmaker's films to actually get worse? The Sitter looks like a far cry from the days of All The Real Girls and and George Washington.
Old 12-06-11, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: David Gordon Green's downward spiral.

i somehow knew this was gonna be about this. I figure its either him doing fun/stupid movies to pay the bills (as i don't think art movies will) or it could be a so called 'one for the studio, one for me' deal where fox or fox searchlight will finance his next movie whatever it is
Old 12-06-11, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 91 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Rypro 525 View Post
i somehow knew this was gonna be about this. I figure its either him doing fun/stupid movies to pay the bills (as i don't think art movies will) or it could be a so called 'one for the studio, one for me' deal where fox or fox searchlight will finance his next movie whatever it is
I think that's the case. Let's face it: George Washington and All the Real Girls are really good films, IMO.

I own both of them. But they just aren't going to make a lot of money.
Old 12-06-11, 12:28 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 979 Likes on 699 Posts

The only problem with the "1 for 1" theory is that he's done three of these comedies in a row. Pineapple Express, Your Highness, and now The Sitter. And Black Jack (a TV movie, no less) doesn't exactly look promising, either. While I kind of enjoyed Pineapple Express the first time I watched it, I really didn't think too much of it upon a second viewing.

If he's given up on "art" films entirely, then that's kind of a bummer.
Old 12-06-11, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

He did do some very funny Eastbound and Down episodes, but I have not found anything funny about his feature film "comedies".
Old 12-06-11, 01:04 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 979 Likes on 699 Posts

Yeah, I'll give him Eastbound and Down. That show is fantastic.
Old 12-06-11, 02:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I'd like him to go back and make some decent art films. Perhaps he isn't interested in doing those anymore.
Old 12-06-11, 03:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

From an interview with Time Out:

Getting reflective, Green believes the typecasting came long before his stoner-comedy phase. “I made four indie movies that very few people saw,” he says, pausing. “And it was really challenging to find money for my taste in drama.” (The director refers to them, affectionately, as his crybaby movies: George Washington and All the Real Girls, along with 2004’s Undertow and the depressing 2007 domestic drama Snow Angels.) When an opportunity to step into a Hollywood production came around, he lunged at it.

“It does get disheartening making movies that nobody shows up for,” he continues. “The best thing was to try to make a comedy and, within a few meetings, it was surprisingly easy to get Pineapple Express going.”
I can understand why it can feel unrewarding to make a good film that no-one watches, and how rewarding it feels when a lot of people see your work and enjoy it. I would assume he's just tired of the challenge of financing his mood-driven dramas and would prefer to have a cache of successes in his pocket to make it easier to tackle his more personal projects in future.
Old 12-06-11, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

thankfully we have jeff nichols to carry the torch
Old 12-06-11, 09:39 AM

Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts

I like the animation show he created on MTV, Good Vibes. Didn't care for The Pineapple Express though.
Old 12-06-11, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 763 Likes on 620 Posts

I thought Pineapple Express was great, Your Highness was ho-humm but watchable, and hopefully The Sitter is decent.

I'm calling this his Danny McBride phase, though that would have started with All The Real Girls.
Old 12-06-11, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think he went to college with Danny McBride and became good friends and that's why they work together so much.
Old 12-06-11, 02:28 PM

i kind of remember David Gordon Green in an interview ripping Kevin Smith a new one for making shitty toilet-humored movies, and well... that's in a similar vein with Green's last few movies. sounds hypocritical in a sense.

even though i liked Snow Angels, i think that film marked a downhill trot for his more "indie/arthouse" films. The film was mostly watchable because of Sam Rockwell's unusual performance.

as riotinmyskull says though, at least we DO have Jeff Nichols for small-town slice-of-life art films.

oh, btw, whatever happened to that Suspiria remake that David Gordon Green was supposed to write?
Old 12-06-11, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt View Post
I think he went to college with Danny McBride and became good friends and that's why they work together so much.
Danny McBride, David Gordon Green, Jody Hill, Ben Best, Paul Schneider, Jeff Nichols all went to film school together...i think
Old 12-06-11, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 586 Likes on 362 Posts

I can't imagine a single Kevin Smith movie even remotely as godfuckingawful as "Your Highness". And I'm not a Kevin Smith devotee by any stretch of the imagination.
Old 12-06-11, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post
I can't imagine a single Kevin Smith movie even remotely as godfuckingawful as "Your Highness". And I'm not a Kevin Smith devotee by any stretch of the imagination.
cop out
Old 12-06-11, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts

I really liked Pineapple Express, but hated Your Highness. And yeah, it was worse then anything from Kevin Smith, even Jersey Girl.
Old 12-06-11, 03:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe he's doing a trilogy? later we will see him telling us what this trilogy means.
Old 12-06-11, 03:47 PM

I really liked Pineapple Express but thought that Your Highness was one of the worst movies I've ever seen.
Old 12-06-11, 05:04 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 166 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by TheySentYou View Post
i kind of remember David Gordon Green in an interview ripping Kevin Smith a new one for making shitty toilet-humored movies, and well... that's in a similar vein with Green's last few movies. sounds hypocritical in a sense.
I believe he said that Kevin Smith "lowered the bar" for independent film. Lowered what people expect from an independent film, both because of its subject matter and its pitiful cheap look. I might actually agree with DGG regarding the later argument because he was able to make such beautiful movies on a tiny budget while Smith was shooting static 16mm B&W. But I've always thought it was a cheap shot even before DGG proceeded to make a bunch of Cheech and Chong films.
Old 12-07-11, 01:06 AM
Suspended

I liked the trailer for Pineapple Express more than the movie, however in a bored at home watch it on cable way Pineapple Express wasn't bad. Your Highness on the other hand was just bad. I didn't even finish it.