Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Starship Troopers remake

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Starship Troopers remake

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-12, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Re: PG-13 Starship Troopers reboot in development! Would You Like to Know More?

I'm going to go ahead and be that guy and say that this isn't a remake/reboot, it's another adaptation of the book.
Old 06-28-12, 01:17 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Goat3001
I'm going to go ahead and be that guy and say that this isn't a remake/reboot, it's another adaptation of the book.
yeah, I didn't want to be that guy this time...cuz I'm usually that fuck.

I've mild interest in this just to see wtf they do w/ it. I never liked Starship Troopers. It was too much for me w/ it's tone. Even as a kid..all I cared about was the bug killing. Good action but it felt too much for me w/ it's cheese. Not a bad movie, it's actually good..but it wasn't for me.

Last edited by Solid Snake; 06-28-12 at 04:56 PM.
Old 06-28-12, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
I've mild interest in this just to see wtf they do w/ it. I never liked Starship Troopers. It was too much me w/ it's tone. Even as a kid..all I cared about was the bug killing. Good action but it felt too much for me w/ it's cheese. Not a bad movie, it's actually good..but it wasn't for me.
I saw it at, what, age twelve or thirteen when it came out.

Now I appreciate it even more considering we're the bad guys.
Old 06-28-12, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 236 Likes on 169 Posts

No co-ed shower scene = No sale.
Old 06-28-12, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this is going to suck. the first one could have been a masterpiece if not for the casting and art direction. Everything else was great and I can still watch it every so-often.
Old 06-28-12, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Damn those pedophilic $tudio execs pandering to young asses in theater seats!
Old 06-28-12, 05:16 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AnonomusBob15
this is going to suck. the first one could have been a masterpiece if not for the casting and art direction.

Verhoeven's movie had problems that went far beyond just simple miscasting and tired art direction.
Old 06-28-12, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, the original was dog shit filled with the same atrocious acting that you find in almost every Verhoeven film. The fact that people hold this film out as being worth damn never ceases to amaze me. I don't have any interest in the original or this remake.
Old 06-28-12, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Terrell
I don't have any interest in the original or this remake.
Then you've wasted time posting in this thread. Congrats!
Old 06-28-12, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by WeylandYutani
Verhoeven's movie had problems that went far beyond just simple miscasting and tired art direction.
Yeah, like the crappy special fx.

/sarcasm
Old 06-28-12, 08:31 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

lol @ people dissing the acting in the original
Old 06-28-12, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Groucho
Shhhh, I don't think they're in on the joke.
Old 06-28-12, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The AV Club's article about this made me laugh...

Starship Troopers reboot to be less violent and more patriotic—would you like to know more?

In the previous newsreel regarding the planned reboot of Starship Troopers, we learned that, as with the similar remakes of Total Recall and RoboCop, the new version would strip away nearly all of Paul Verhoeven's subversive irony, something that is, after all, what keeps the Dutch mired in sloth, stuffing their smirking faces with sauerkraut and chuckling about "subtext" in their hash bars and sex clubs. Recently producer Toby Jaffe—who was also partly responsible for cutting the satirical chaff from Total Recall, until he got to the Len Wiseman action movie that was always at its center, apparently—reaffirmed to Empire that his Starship Troopers would be more faithful to both Robert Heinlein's original novel and American values by being less violent, "grounded," and way more patriotic. And not patriotic in an ironic way that the Dutch would like.
"The more expensive a film is, the harder it is now to make it that violent," Jaffe said by way of explaining how the revamped Starship Troopers would eschew the darkly comic, over-the-top gore that arguably made anyone remember Starship Troopers in the first place, instead aiming for a softer PG-13 rating that would make it more marketable and therefore better. And in addition to new technology that will allow them to include the armored exoskeletons known as Jump Suits, new advancements in ignoring irony will also allow Jaffe and Co. to make a straightforward translation of Heinlein's ode to militarism, without getting hung up on those longstanding questions of whether it's an oversimplified glorification of war or an endorsement of fascism. "Y’know, one man’s fascism is another man’s patriotism," Jaffe says with no hint of sarcasm, as that sort of thing isn't done anymore. Anyway, with all the violence and satire finally out of the way, the film can concentrate on the well-rounded characters that Heinlein didn't create.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/stars...-and-mo,81901/
Old 06-28-12, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Gdrlv
The AV Club's article about this made me laugh...

Starship Troopers reboot to be less violent and more patriotic—would you like to know more?

In the previous newsreel regarding the planned reboot of Starship Troopers, we learned that, as with the similar remakes of Total Recall and RoboCop, the new version would strip away nearly all of Paul Verhoeven's subversive irony, something that is, after all, what keeps the Dutch mired in sloth, stuffing their smirking faces with sauerkraut and chuckling about "subtext" in their hash bars and sex clubs. Recently producer Toby Jaffe—who was also partly responsible for cutting the satirical chaff from Total Recall, until he got to the Len Wiseman action movie that was always at its center, apparently—reaffirmed to Empire that his Starship Troopers would be more faithful to both Robert Heinlein's original novel and American values by being less violent, "grounded," and way more patriotic. And not patriotic in an ironic way that the Dutch would like.
"The more expensive a film is, the harder it is now to make it that violent," Jaffe said by way of explaining how the revamped Starship Troopers would eschew the darkly comic, over-the-top gore that arguably made anyone remember Starship Troopers in the first place, instead aiming for a softer PG-13 rating that would make it more marketable and therefore better. And in addition to new technology that will allow them to include the armored exoskeletons known as Jump Suits, new advancements in ignoring irony will also allow Jaffe and Co. to make a straightforward translation of Heinlein's ode to militarism, without getting hung up on those longstanding questions of whether it's an oversimplified glorification of war or an endorsement of fascism. "Y’know, one man’s fascism is another man’s patriotism," Jaffe says with no hint of sarcasm, as that sort of thing isn't done anymore. Anyway, with all the violence and satire finally out of the way, the film can concentrate on the well-rounded characters that Heinlein didn't create.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/stars...-and-mo,81901/

/facepalm
Old 06-28-12, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Yeah, the 90210 level of expression brought seething humanism to all new levels of sublime cinematic hoo-hah...

I get the satire. I'm in on the joke. It just didn't work. And when people throw around the phrase "the original CLASSIC" in reference to the 1997 movie, it's time to cauterize some polyps off the little grey cells.
Old 06-29-12, 05:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

The problem with this whole project is that the book was a tract promoting Heinlein's peculiar agenda (no one should be allowed to vote unless they've served in the military). That's it! Verhoeven took virtually the last 13 pages (the only part that has an insect battle in it) and expanded it to feature-length and added all the satire, the gore, and nude co-ed showers. If you go back to the book what do you have? Not enough for a film.

Japanese animators made a six-part series based on this back in the 1980s. It's never been released in the U.S. There are scenes in it that were not in the book but had counterparts in the Verhoeven movie, which led me to think that Verhoeven, or at least his writers, had seen the anime.
Old 06-29-12, 06:50 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

I enjoyed the original Starship Troopers enough that I have it in my collection and we still watch it from time to time. I'd hate to see it turned into some nicey nice PG-13 crapfest. Don't they have anything better to do? -kd5-
Old 06-29-12, 01:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by kd5
I enjoyed the original Starship Troopers enough that I have it in my collection and we still watch it from time to time. I'd hate to see it turned into some nicey nice PG-13 crapfest. Don't they have anything better to do? -kd5-
While I've no personal stake in the original film..you do understand that this film isn't a remake?

For those that read the book, if YOU can imagine a film based off it in some way...could it be a PG-13 film? I've never read it though it's on that long ass list that'll eventually lead me to it.
Old 06-29-12, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

While I've no personal stake in the original film..you do understand that this film isn't a remake?

For those that read the book, if YOU can imagine a film based off it in some way...could it be a PG-13 film? I've never read it though it's on that long ass list that'll eventually lead me to it.
The book is barely a PG. It was written for young readers.
Old 06-29-12, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If The Return of the King could be made PG-13, then Starship Troopers can easily be made PG-13 (and yes, I have read both).
Old 06-29-12, 01:36 PM
Banned

The acting doesn't get a free pass even if Verhoeven says it was all supposed to be "satire".

Last edited by WeylandYutani; 06-29-12 at 01:46 PM.
Old 06-29-12, 03:42 PM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

Since this was patterned after Heinlein's book I agree that this is not a remake of the movie, but it is another movie about the same book. If they're going to do that then why don't they make a version of Eragon and/or The Golden Compass that everybody likes so they can get on with the rest of those stories? -kd5-
Old 06-29-12, 03:59 PM
Banned

probably cuz they're not popular. Even after the release like ST has gotten?
Old 06-29-12, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Clancy Brown was a badass in ST.

"Medic!!!!!!"
Old 01-02-14, 04:18 PM

Received 4,581 Likes on 3,101 Posts

STARSHIP TROOPERS is one of those movies that you either love or hate. Paul Verhoeven's 1997 satire is a plentiful array of blood, guts, and boobs all wrapped up in a military satire. There is not a serious moment in the movie that doesn't have comedic undertones. But, that element was lost on many who didn't appreciate the movie for what it was. So, after multiple direct to home video sequels and animated takes on the story, STARSHIP TROOPERS is being rebooted as a big screen movie.

Zack Stentz, screenwriter on X-MEN: FIRST CLASS and STAR TREK 3, will be penning the new STARSHIP TROOPERS. Producer Toby Jaffe had previously compared the new movie in tone to MINORITY REPORT and said it would be less violent and comical than the Casper Van Dien starrer. Does Stentz have the same comparison? He was recently asked on Twitter what he feels the remake will feel like, tonally:
Zack Stentz @MuseZack
@scottEweinberg Less a satire & more an actual adaptation of the Heinlein novel. An Officer & a Gentleman in power armor.
7:19 PM - 21 Dec 2013
Stentz and cowriter Edward Miller just turned the script in to the studio last week so it remains to be seen which version will make it to screens, but I am hoping that comparing it to AN OFFICER AND A GENTLEMAN means we would be in store for a more dramatic, character driven military film with science fiction undertones. I am not against a romantic element in a STARSHIP TROOPERS movie, but this really sounds like Stentz is trying for something closer to Robert Heinlein's original novel which was known more for philosophical discussions of war rather than exploding alien heads and impalements.

There is room for more than one big budget STARSHIP TROOPERS in this world and I am intrigued to see if this one will work. My only question is whether Casper Van Dien is coming back.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.