DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   ELECTRIC BOOGALOO: THE WILD UNTOLD STORY OF CANNON FILMS (2012) (dir. Mark Hartley) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/596969-electric-boogaloo-wild-untold-story-cannon-films-2012-dir-mark-hartley.html)

riotinmyskull 12-01-11 12:28 PM

ELECTRIC BOOGALOO: THE WILD UNTOLD STORY OF CANNON FILMS (2012) (dir. Mark Hartley)

http://i43.tinypic.com/k06cz4.jpg

DRAFTHOUSE FILMS ACQUIRES US RIGHTS TO“ELECTRIC BOOGALOO: THE WILD, UNTOLD STORY OF CANNON FILMS”

New Doc Will Chronicle Infamous ‘80s Exploitation Production Outfit From Acclaimed Director Mark Hartley

AUSTIN, TX – Thursday, December 1, 2011– Drafthouse Films, the distribution arm of the world-famous Alamo Drafthouse Cinema, announced today the acquisition of all US rights toELECTRIC BOOGALOO: THE WILD, UNTOLD STORY OF CANNON FILMS from world-wide sales agent Celluloid Nightmares. From acclaimed cult film documentarian Mark Hartley (NOT QUITE HOLLYWOOD, MACHETE MAIDENS UNLEASHED), the film centers on the story of two Israeli-born, movie-obsessed cousins, Menahem Golan and Yoram Globus, who in pursuit of the “American dream” launched an indie studio that would produce over 120 exploitation films from 1979-1989 turning a renegade outfit into the proclaimed “seventh Hollywood major.” The film is currently in pre-production in Australia with Producer Veronica Fury and Executive Producers XYZ Films (upcoming Sony Pictures release THE RAID). A theatrical release is being planned for late 2012 to coincide with a traveling roadshow retrospective of Cannon’s seminal films.

While best known for their explosive ‘80s action fare (MISSING IN ACTION, DEATH WISH sequels, Academy Award® Nominated RUNAWAY TRAIN), Cannon Films’ diverse and ambitious production output also included body-count slashers (TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE 2), musicals and comedies (THE APPLE, BREAKIN’), science fiction and fantasy epics (MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE, LIFEFORCE), martial arts classics (AMERICAN NINJA series, KICKBOXER), neo-noir crime thrillers (52 PICK-UP, 10 TO MIDNIGHT), art-house dramas (BARFLY, John Cassavetes’ LOVE STREAMS, Jean-Luc Godard’s KING LEAR), in addition to launching the careers of many future genre superstars like Chuck Norris and Jean-Claude Van Damme. “No other production organization in the world today,” proclaimed Roger Ebert in 1987, “has taken more chances with serious, marginal films than Cannon.”

“Cannon Films was an enterprise that in many ways defined exploitation cinema of the 1980s,” said Alamo Drafthouse Founder/CEO and Fantastic Fest Founder Tim League, “We are thrilled to share their untold legacy with movie fans around the country.” Drafthouse Films Director Evan Husney elaborated, “With director Mark Hartley at the helm, ELECTRIC BOOGALOO is sure to be a wildly entertaining, comprehensive and frenetic no-holds-barred dive into the world of perhaps the most infamous production company in film history.”

“I was lucky enough to have my first feature NOT QUITE HOLLYWOOD screen at Fantastic Fest in 2008 - and ever since then the chance to revisit the festival and the Alamo Drafthouse has been one of the principal motivations for me to get out of bed and make more movies!” says director Mark Hartley. “The news that Drafthouse Films has joined the ELECTRIC BOOGALOO party is beyond awesome. I know that Tim League and his team will find the most inventive, outrageous and ridiculously entertaining ways to roll the film out across America - and personally I can't wait for the show to begin.”

The deal was negotiated by Nate Bolotin, on behalf of Celluloid Nightmares and XYZ Films and Tim League, Founder and CEO of the Alamo Drafthouse Cinema, James Emanuel Shapiro, Chief Operating Officer and Evan Husney, Director of Acquisitions, on behalf of Drafthouse Films.

KnightLerxst 12-01-11 12:33 PM

Re: ELECTRIC BOOGALOO: THE WILD UNTOLD STORY OF CANNON FILMS (2012) (dir. Mark Hartle

So will the sequel be titled Electric Boogaloo 2: Electric Boogaloo?

islandclaws 12-01-11 12:35 PM

Re: ELECTRIC BOOGALOO: THE WILD UNTOLD STORY OF CANNON FILMS (2012) (dir. Mark Hartle

:up: I loved the trash Cannon pumped out in the '80s. Very interested in seeing this.

Ash Ketchum 12-01-11 12:47 PM

in addition to launching the careers of many future genre superstars like Chuck Norris and Jean-Claude Van Damme.
Cannon does not deserve the credit for Norris. Norris made a bunch of hit movies (THE OCTAGON, FORCED VENGEANCE, SILENT RAGE, LONE WOLF MCQUADE, AN EYE FOR AN EYE, etc.) before making MISSING IN ACTION for Cannon. Van Damme's BLOODSPORT was indeed a Cannon production, so I guess they deserve the credit for that one.

RocShemp 12-01-11 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal (Post 11026274)
:up: I loved the trash Cannon pumped out in the '80s. Very interested in seeing this.

Me too. But I can't believe they were only around for a decade.

d2cheer 12-01-11 01:39 PM

Me as well. Really looking forward to this.

Mabuse 12-01-11 01:41 PM

Great subject for a doc. I'll watch it. Cannon deserves credit for making some very good films in addition to the mountain of exploitation. Runaway Train is one of the best films of the decade.

Boba Fett 12-01-11 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum (Post 11026294)
Cannon does not deserve the credit for Norris. Norris made a bunch of hit movies (THE OCTAGON, FORCED VENGEANCE, SILENT RAGE, LONE WOLF MCQUADE, AN EYE FOR AN EYE, etc.) before making MISSING IN ACTION for Cannon. Van Damme's BLOODSPORT was indeed a Cannon production, so I guess they deserve the credit for that one.

WAY OF THE DRAGON was the real catalyst in launching Norris' career.

Ash Ketchum 12-01-11 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by Boba Fett (Post 11026466)
WAY OF THE DRAGON was the real catalyst in launching Norris' career.

And Cannon had nothing to do with that film, either.

EdTheRipper 12-01-11 07:40 PM

Same here. Can't wait for this one.

Applejack 12-01-11 08:16 PM

I am in for this one. Not Quite Hollywood was excellent and I grew up on Cannon films

Doctor Gonzo 12-01-11 09:00 PM

Gotta see this - I'm another fan of the Cannon films...anyone remember the Spider-Man adaptation they were going to produce back in the day?....

article about Cannon's ill-fated try at Spider-Man -
http://originalvidjunkie.blogspot.co...0b0a76391dd389

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets...piderman85.jpg

My Other Self 12-01-11 09:39 PM

A Spider-Man flick directed by Tobe Hooper? Why have I never heard of that. I rememer Jim Cameron was throwing one around but I didn't know Cannon was going to make one.

asianxcore 12-02-11 04:30 AM

Definitely in for this.

TomOpus 12-02-11 09:30 AM

Nothing like going to the drive-in and seeing "A Golan-Globus Production" on the screen. You just knew you were in for some good fun.

Larry C. 12-02-11 10:24 AM

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...rce_poster.jpg

One of my all time favs.

Matthew Chmiel 12-02-11 11:15 AM

A theatrical release is being planned for late 2012 to coincide with a traveling roadshow retrospective of Cannon’s seminal films.
I just filled the cup.

devilshalo 12-02-11 01:34 PM

I hope they get Sho Kosugi to introduce the Ninja films he did. :up:

Giles 12-02-11 01:38 PM

the title alone intrigues me to see this documentary

Solid Snake 12-02-11 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by mcfly (Post 11027037)
A Spider-Man flick directed by Tobe Hooper? Why have I never heard of that. I remember Jim Cameron was throwing one around but I didn't know Cannon was going to make one.

this.

I..I..what the fuck? I hope this Doc mentions it.

oh shit...there's a link a script of it in there too..

http://www.weeklyscript.com/Spider-M...roduced%29.txt

Ash Ketchum 12-02-11 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by devilshalo (Post 11027747)
I hope they get Sho Kosugi to introduce the Ninja films he did. :up:

People who absolutely have to be interviewed in this doc:

Sho Kosugi
Chuck Norris
Jean-Claude Van Damme
Tobe Hooper
Michael Dudikoff
Lucinda Dickey
Mario Van Peebles
Charles Bronson's children
Menahem Golan
Yoram Globus

Who else is still around who would be suitable?

gmanca 12-02-11 01:54 PM

Cyborg used some of the sets and costumes for Spider Man when Pyun was going to direct the third attempt. Hooper's version sat around because Golan wanted a script of a half-spider half-man mutation and Stan Lee nixed that idea.

Hokeyboy 12-02-11 03:09 PM

It's a Go. Take 'em dowwwwwwwwn...

Hokeyboy 12-02-11 03:11 PM

I grew up on Cannon films. I worshiped at the Golam/Globus Altar of Craptacularness. I saw INVASION USA in theaters THREE TIMES... all the same weekend. Both Lou Ferigno HERCULES movies? Greatest comedies ever released, by far.

When you're 13, watching Chuck Norris in two MISSING IN ACTION films -- released within 4 of months of each other! -- is not unlike a balloon.

islandclaws 12-02-11 04:26 PM

Traveling road show?

Crossing my fingers this hits the New Bev, which it almost undoubtedly will. Maybe the Nuart.