Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

So, what did YOU think the "Clone Wars" was going to be like?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

So, what did YOU think the "Clone Wars" was going to be like?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-11, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: So, what did YOU think the "Clone Wars" was going to be like?

Originally Posted by Navinabob
The animated series has about a dozen Saving-Private-Ryan-like episodes that frame the wars fantastically. I think many people are mixing up the horrible execution, laughable dialog, questionable humor, and general shitty job Lucas did with the movies as opposed to the what specifically the clone wars was about.
I have the same feelings about the cartoon, actually. It's almost painful to watch.
Old 11-28-11, 12:33 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Superboy
I have the same feelings about the cartoon, actually. It's almost painful to watch.
Agree. Everything about that stupid Samurai Jack-esque cartoon years ago and the current soulless show is just painful to watch and a complete waste of time seeing as everyone knows how the war ends and who ends up dying. It's just one big, colossal cynical artistically-vacant sludge of nothingness.
Old 11-28-11, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

Originally Posted by mcnabb
I guess I'm in the minority of SW fans, but I always wanted Lucas to make Episodes 7,8,9 when I was a kid in the 80's instead of the Episode 1,2,3. I always thought Lucas could do whatever story he wanted if he continued the adventures of Luke, Leia and Han, whereas the Prequels he would be locked into a story from all that was spoken about in the OT.
No one wanted the prequels except George Lucas and his accountant. I don't remember any yearning for the prequels by fans. Fans that had grown up with the movies wanted real sequels, not Anakin's bad childhood.
Originally Posted by Pizza the Hutt
Agree. Everything about that stupid Samurai Jack-esque cartoon years ago and the current soulless show is just painful to watch and a complete waste of time seeing as everyone knows how the war ends and who ends up dying. It's just one big, colossal cynical artistically-vacant sludge of nothingness.
I see the Clone wars as kid-friendly branding now to build the toy and merchandising empire where Lucas makes his real money.
Old 11-28-11, 04:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

I didn't much think about it. It's amazing how much mileage George Lucas has gotten out of one throwaway line in ANH.
Old 11-28-11, 04:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't say the cartoon is toned down much for kids... It's actually geared towards an older age then the first prequel. After watching the three prequels on Blu this weekend I'll even go as far to say that the cartoon is a pretty large step up from them even. The first season was pretty uneven, and they do have a few cute throw-away episodes still, but those are at least contained in their own stories.

Dig up season 4 episodes 7-10 and you won't be disappointed. We have brutal trench warfare with ugly casualties... it really did more with the clones then Lucas could ever do.
Old 11-28-11, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

I'm enjoying the heck out of the animated series (both of them) and I hope the critics aren't basing their opinions on the intro CGI movie only. The series got massively better after that.

As for my expectations; despite being born in the 70's and growing up with SW, I never actually gave the Clone Wars much thought. To me it was just a sort of throwaway line that didn't have much to do with what was going on in the movies.
Old 11-28-11, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,204 Likes on 2,068 Posts

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
I didn't much think about it. It's amazing how much mileage George Lucas has gotten out of one throwaway line in ANH.
No shit! Seriously, we got 2 full length live action movies, 1 CGI full length movie, 1 two-season mini series, and 1 CGI series. Enough with the Clone Wars shit!

Lucas should have stopped trying to shove Anikan and the Clone Wars down our throats and instead continued on with the 3 main characters we all knew and loved in Ep.VI, VII, VIII.
Old 11-28-11, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 90 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
No one wanted the prequels except George Lucas and his accountant. I don't remember any yearning for the prequels by fans. Fans that had grown up with the movies wanted real sequels, not Anakin's bad childhood.
y.
I agree, as I can't remember one conversation I had as a kid with friends who liked SW about wanting a Prequel Trilogy. In fact I don't even think we didn't even cared about the episode numbers, we just wanted more adventures of Luke, Leia, and Han.

The ironic thing is if Lucas didn't put the episode numbers on the OT movies, he could have done whatever he wanted later on and not been so married to a specific story. He could have done one Prequel movie (essentially the Episode III story, and maybe done a few sequels about Han/Leia's Kids and Luke's kids too (something like the Thrawn Trilogy). By locking himself into a 3 movie story for the PT, it led to Episode I & II being almost pointless.
Old 11-28-11, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by Drexl
I didn't think about it much, to be honest. I just took it as an old war story that didn't have much significance other than to say he knew Anakin Skywalker. And by 1988 or so I figured the series was over.
Seconded.

However a guy I knew was convinced that Obi-wan actually stood for Obi-One, i.e. the model all the clones were modeled after, prior to the PT.
Old 11-28-11, 02:07 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Yeah the "OB-1" theory was very prevelent in the '90s.