DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Favorite Movie Moments? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/596728-favorite-movie-moments.html)

OldBoy 11-23-11 10:43 PM

Favorite Movie Moments?

The moments that you could watch over and over and never tire of...

Serenity...ship and reavers coming out of clouds to the awaiting armada.
Shaun of the Dead...in the bar, Queen song plays to swirling onslaught of killing zombies.
The Dark Knight...18 wheeler flips over scene.

davidh777 11-23-11 10:54 PM

Re: Favorite Movie Moments?

Movie moments that give you absolute goosebumps

OldBoy 11-23-11 10:59 PM

Yup, my bad. Even posted in it the same Serenity moment.

davidh777 11-23-11 11:04 PM

I probably posted that moment too :)

rbrown498 11-24-11 01:52 AM

Well, I'm thinking that since THAT ^ thread is two years old, I'll reply to this one.

My "goosebump" scenes:

Lost in Translation: Bill Murray singing karaoke to Roxy Music's "More Than This"

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon: "I would rather be a ghost, drifting by your side as a condemned soul, than enter heaven without you."

The Abominable Dr. Phibes: Vulnavia takes a smoke break while cleaning.

Somewhere in Time: Elise screaming "Richard!" after he finds the modern penny in his pocket.

Dazed and Confused: Making out on a blanket while the sun comes up and "Summer Breeze" is playing on the radio.

Across the Universe: "Because" being sung in the tall, rustling grass.

Boogie Nights: The incredibly long close-up of Mark Wahlberg's eyes when the drug deal starts to go bad.

Run Lola Run: As Lola lies dying in the street at the end of the first run, she says "Stop" and the second run begins.

Slumdog Millionaire: Of all things, the end credits.

Broadcast News: "How do you like that? I buried the lead."

Vertigo: Kim Novak steps out of the bathroom after putting on the dress that Jimmy Stewart has brought her.

Notorious: Cary Grant and a drunken Ingrid Bergman kiss...and kiss...and kiss.

Dumbo: "Pink Elephants on Parade"

A Tale of Two Sisters: The sisters arrive at the house and run down to the lake. It's the music and the cinematography in this scene that make it perhaps my favorite 30 seconds of film ever.

Whew! Well, those are some of mine.

Spottedfeather 11-24-11 02:12 AM

The invasion scene at the end of Matrix Revolutions
the scene where Odysseus comes home in The Odyssey
any of the donut shop scenes from Wayne's World
the saving Vicki Vale scene from Batman
any scene with the dad from So I Married An Ax Murderer
the pancake scene from Uncle Buck
the dancing scene from The Breakfast Club
the stealing the Enterprise scene from Search For Spock
the battle scene from Wrath Of Khan
the going out to catch the tornado scene from Twister

Perkinsun Dzees 11-24-11 02:49 AM

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/-XGNYsnC6i0#t=4m14s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

arminius 11-24-11 09:49 AM

This scene took me completely by surprise. When it started I thought here it goes, ala Speiberg, the guys that were heavily armed would be killed and eaten with no problem. I was still thinking this after they emptied their weapons and started to back up. When they showed the back wall of the room a cheer went up from the audience. Just a great scene. Oh yeah, and the last 2 shots with something like a .600 nitro express, classic.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/KcsLaSBWG9k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sonic 11-24-11 12:16 PM

Superman 1978 - Helicopter scene
Bladerunner - Batty dies...tears in the rain
Dark City - With John Murdock fixes things at the end
Rocky II - When Adrain tells Rocky after waking up from a coma to win
Matrix - When Neo gets up and the crew finds out he's really the one
Matrix II - The Chateau fight scene
The Rock - The San Francisco car chase scene, Sean Connery driving the humvee and the trolley guy screaming "save yourselfs" great action scene always a classic
Underworld - When Michael is arrested by two officers and placed in the back seat...and the moon is seen in the sky and he starts transforming to a lycan
The Man In The Iron Mask - When Leonardo opens the window panes and the big beautiful moon is scene with spectacular soundtrack

Trout 11-24-11 12:58 PM

Hallway sequence in Hard Boiled.
Final shootout in The Wild bunch.

foofighters7 11-24-11 01:23 PM

Taxi Driver after Travis saves Iris with floating camera.

Psycho- every scene.

End scene in Port of Shadows

When George knocks out Biff in BTTF

Raiders of Lost Ark when Indy shoots Black swordsman

Monty Python Holy Grail- Most scenes.

The montage in Raging Bull

Kurtz 'the horror' scene

just a quick few

OldBoy 11-24-11 01:29 PM

end airport scene in Garden State.

JANK 11-24-11 05:41 PM

To Kill A Mockingbird at the end where Scout's voiceover says that Attius will watch over her injured brother all night long. The Boo Radley intr0duction is up there too.

islandclaws 11-25-11 10:27 AM

How about for films made this year?

The motel scene & elevator scene from Drive were two of my favorites.

Also, Caesar saying "No!" in RotPotA was an awesome moment.

yoshimi 11-25-11 11:13 AM

The last 20 minutes or so of Clint Eastwood's Unforgiven.

adrenaline78 11-25-11 12:51 PM

Transformers - first scene when Peter Cullen's voice is first heard.. gave me chills!

SuckaMC 11-25-11 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by arminius (Post 11017340)
This scene took me completely by surprise. When it started I thought here it goes, ala Speiberg, the guys that were heavily armed would be killed and eaten with no problem. I was still thinking this after they emptied their weapons and started to back up. When they showed the back wall of the room a cheer went up from the audience. Just a great scene. Oh yeah, and the last 2 shots with something like a .600 nitro express, classic.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/KcsLaSBWG9k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This was my first movie going experience where the entire audience applauded (when that graboid finally died) Great moment.

SuckaMC 11-25-11 01:04 PM

Also, the "Star-Spangled Man" montage in Captain America.

Ash Ketchum 11-25-11 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by yoshimi (Post 11018611)
The last 20 minutes or so of Clint Eastwood's Unforgiven.

As many of the posts above indicate, some of you don't seem to understand the difference between:

moment
scene
sequence
segment
section

A "moment" usually involves a single action or gesture, or a one-liner or reaction. And that's what the OP asked for.

My favorite is in IT'S A MAD, MAD, MAD, MAD WORLD (1963): the exact point at which the 13 key cast members realize the police captain's true intentions. I jump up in my seat every time I see that.

PopcornTreeCt 11-25-11 01:48 PM

In Never Let Me Go when they find out the truth.

foofighters7 11-25-11 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum (Post 11018761)
As many of the posts above indicate, some of you don't seem to understand the difference between:

moment
scene
sequence
segment
section

A "moment" usually involves a single action or gesture, or a one-liner or reaction. And that's what the OP asked for.

My favorite is in IT'S A MAD, MAD, MAD, MAD WORLD (1963): the exact point at which the 13 key cast members realize the police captain's true intentions. I jump up in my seat every time I see that.

No, your just being too particular. In fact if you notice the OP's choices, at least two of the three would not fall under your idea of 'moment'. In fact he uses the word "scene".

islandclaws 11-25-11 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by foofighters7 (Post 11018796)
No, your just being too particular. In fact if you notice the OP's choices, at least two of the three would not fall under your idea of 'moment'. In fact he uses the word "scene".

At the risk of being a Grammar Nazi dickhead.... You're = you are. This has been bothering me for some time now.

foofighters7 11-25-11 02:38 PM

I've been doing it porpoisely because people constantly complain about it.

I've been trying to remember to stick your where it should be you're and you're where it should be your.

I'm just being retarded. oh and Hey F U!!! GrammEr Nazi!!!;)

Troy Stiffler 11-25-11 02:44 PM

Some good ones here. I'll try to add some new ones...

That shot in Tommy, when Uncle Ernie gets caught - there's a zoom and a horn plays. Oliver Reed then lights Uncle Ernie's (Keith Moon's) newpaper on fire.

The water plant seizure sequence in the Cowboy Bebop movie.

That final shot in Titanic. T2 ending. Vasquez and Gorman's heroic suicide in Aliens.

When Legolas mounts that horse in Two Towers. There's plenty of parts to mention in Lord of the Rings. But the attitude in that shot was piercing.

The foot chase in Bad Boys.

Final couple shots in Heat (affects me far morer than the downtown shootout).

Cable Hogue - the way the end is cut together.

Snatch - Brad Pitt watches as his camper burns.

Does anyone else see that I have an infatuation with the way people die, and endings. And I could probably put a thousand item list together. These are some examples of why I love movies so much.

Troy Stiffler 11-25-11 02:49 PM

Ooo. I'll add The Depahted (you know the scene). And Ray Winstone's "fuck this" ending was something new and exciting, too.

Goodfellas. Pesci's childlike remorseful face before he gets whacked.

And for the record, I'm trying to think of "moments" that really make me feel something. Not scenes or sequences.