Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Before Midnight (2013, D: Linklater, S: Hawke, Delpy)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Before Midnight (2013, D: Linklater, S: Hawke, Delpy)

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-13, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Before Midnight (2013, D: Linklater, S: Hawke, Delpy)

Beyond the cataclysmic slugfest that was "Man of Steel", I have to say that "Before Midnight" was a refreshing ode to humans relating to one another, albeit, now at a more advanced stage of life, i.e., their 40s. We get to revisit Jesse and Celine, and the dialogue is once again the highlight of the "Before" films, and the writing is on-point and engrossing, as is the intimate chemistry between Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy, and Richard Linklater's direction. That's as much as I want to say, lest I spoil it for other fans of this now-trilogy of sorts.

I give it 3 stars, or a grade of B.
Old 06-25-13, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero - 2023 TOTY Award Winner

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,223 Posts

Saw this one on Saturday afternoon after finally getting around to watching Before Sunset the previous evening.

I'll spoilerize the rest of my comments:

Spoiler:

There was a moment while watching the new film that I genuinely loved it. However, that moment was not at the ending. Perhaps I was shocked as to just how brutally acerbic the closing scenes were but I can't saw I quite bought the ending. I know (unfortunately) how easily a semi-innocent critical remark can open up a giant can of worms and lead to a drawn out, multi-faceted fight in a romantic relationship. However, I still didn't find the lengths that the argument went to to be especially realistic unless Celine really was, as Jesse put it, the "Mayor of Crazytown". And I don't really think that was the impression that Linklater was trying to convey.

And even if we assume that Celine did not really mean it when she said she didn't love Jesse anymore and even if we assume that Celine realizes (or re-realizes) that acceptance of what-is is the best answer at the end, the suddenness of the tonal shift in the films final moments, where we go in a matter of seconds from thinking that Jesse's clumsy effort at sealing the breach failing miserably to Celine seeming to not only accept things but to even invite sex just didn't ring true to me. It just seemed like five minutes of additional dialogue were cut.

I am used to sudden, ambiguous endings in this series but this one was just too sudden and not well-established.

That being said, this was a very good movie with many moments of amazing genuineness and excellent performances across the board.
Old 07-01-13, 11:46 AM

In a chat thread, James Berardinelli indicated that he would place this film into his personal top 100 of all time list.

It is still rocking a 98% RT rating with about 190 reviews totaled. That's pretty amazing.
Old 07-02-13, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jfoobar
In a chat thread, James Berardinelli indicated that he would place this film into his personal top 100 of all time list.

It is still rocking a 98% RT rating with about 190 reviews totaled. That's pretty amazing.
Before Sunrise has a perfect 100%, albeit from "just" 40 reviews.

Before Sunset has 95%. This has got to be the best reviewed trilogy of all time.
Old 07-04-13, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I saw Before Midnight last week. I thought it was wonderful. Fin
Old 07-18-13, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

First off, as I said earlier in this thread, I worked in a movie theater when Before Sunset came out, so I knew many parts of it very well especially the ending, but didn't see it on DVD until a few months later.

Really wanted to see Midnight all summer, but still in the back of my mind thought that I had to see the first one at least, and then Sunset one more time. So I saw them both back to back last night.

Fuck yeah. Before Sunrise is one of my new favorite movies, and I say it is still the best of the three. Wish I had seen it before Sunset came out, so that the ambiguity was in my mind, but it was still a great ride.

As for Before Midnight, I got to see it in that same theater where I worked and saw parts of Sunset, so that was a nice personal touch. During that dinner scene with everybody, I was really getting into it with all the nuances, but was wondering why the hell the lady next to the host wasn't saying anything. Then she floored everybody with her story about her husband, and then we get it. Great stuff there.

And as they get older, the conversations still go into their thoughts on the world, but also deeper into their own lives. In Sunrise, they playfully approached the "What don't you like about me" conversation, but here that is front and center at the hotel room. That whole section was just great.

So yeah, I liked Sunrise the best, but this is one of my favorites of the year so far.

And hey, let's give Patman an award for calling this way back in 2005:

Originally Posted by Patman

If a third installment shows up within a decade, perhaps it'll be called "Before Midnight" or "Before Sunday".
Old 07-18-13, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast

And hey, let's give Patman an award for calling this way back in 2005:

I give Patman's prediction a B-.
Old 10-30-13, 04:51 AM

I just watched all three films this week for the first time. I loved the first two, and would even say some of the scenes will forever be personal favorites (Celine's "Waltz" is just stunning).

"Before Midnight" started off great... but there were quite a few moments where it overstays its welcome. And Celine does come off as kinda crazy. I particularly hated the "bimbo" bit.

The first two films are just so romantic, hopeful, engaging. I found the third irritating and uninteresting. There were some moments of brilliance (the opening scene in the airport, some of the dialogue while walking, the old woman picturing her husband).

I'm glad I watched them all finally. They had been on my list for a while. If they do make a fourth film, I hope that it's Celine and Jesse reconnecting after many lost years.
Old 10-30-13, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by AndyCleveland
I'm glad I watched them all finally. They had been on my list for a while. If they do make a fourth film, I hope that it's Celine and Jesse reconnecting after many lost years.
Agreed. The series should end on a more genuinely romantic note.

However, if they are going to wait another nine years to make it, they should probably forego any additional Delpy topless scenes. She will be well into her 50s by that point.

Not sure what they will call future sequels, but the titles could get interesting as the two actors get older and older.

Before I Take My Meds
Before I Shit Myself
Before I Expire
Old 11-10-13, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Enjoyed the movie but the Celine blowup kinda ruined the overall experience. It seemed to totally be out of character for her up to this point.
Old 11-11-13, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Rented this today from Red Box

Loved it. Fantastic movie. Great performances by Delpy and Hawke. Such great dialogue and I have a real emotional connection with Jesse and Celine and their trials and tribulations.

And I don't agree with Riley about the Celine blowup. It's part of how their relationship has evolved and obviously she wants to get some of the shit that's been bugging her out. Jesse and Celine are tacking getting older and the problems couples face their age. I think everything that was explored in this film felt real and organic. Nothing IMO felt out of character.
Old 11-12-13, 08:50 AM

If you've seen the first two films, you can't say that Celine's "blowout" came from nowhere. It's been there bubbling for three decades. She's reacting to her current state in life. A decade before she was living in NY, doing things for a job that she loved. Now she's given some of that up to be a mother, and sacrificed certain things so that her husband can follow his dreams.

That stuff bubbles to the surface. She's panicking. Sometimes it happens in all great relationships.

I've grown up with these two characters. I love the films. They are the dramatized versions of Michael Apted's "UP" series.

I wish they didn't suddenly start calling this a "trilogy". I've always understood it that they'll keep doing follow ups as long as the three involved parties want to and can come up with a good story. It's irritating when reading reviews and hearing people talk about this saying this is the final act of a three part series. It isn't. It's an ongoing discussion. Hopefully, in another decade, we'll revisit Celine and Jesse.
Old 11-12-13, 08:52 AM

However, if they are going to wait another nine years to make it, they should probably forego any additional Delpy topless scenes. She will be well into her 50s by that point.

[sarcasm] Yeah, films with reality based female physics and forms are scary, aren't they. [/sarcasm]

I still think Delpy is one sexxxy woman. Glad she was brave enough to do that scene.
Old 11-12-13, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

say what you will, but isn't Dana Delany like 73 now? Judging by how she looked on body of proof, i would still want to see her bush, ala Exit to Eden.

hell she is so hot, she can pee in my butt.

i hope they keep making these movies. They have lined up sort of with my own life, and have become the movie equivalent of checking in with old friends to see where we match.

(Loved before sunset more than my second child, not as much as my first.)