Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Arthur Christmas (D: Sarah Smith, 2011) - Voices of McAvoy, Laurie, Broadbent, Nighy

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Arthur Christmas (D: Sarah Smith, 2011) - Voices of McAvoy, Laurie, Broadbent, Nighy

Old 11-20-11, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 689 Likes on 563 Posts

Arthur Christmas reveals the incredible, never-before seen answer to every child's question: 'So how does Santa deliver all those presents in one night?' The answer: Santa's exhilarating, ultra-high-tech operation hidden beneath the North Pole. But at the center of the film is a story about a family in a state of comic dysfunction and an unlikely hero, Arthur, with an urgent mission that must be completed before Christmas morning dawns.
<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7tk-WZSqIGQ?version=3&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7tk-WZSqIGQ?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Just saw this, and it's not about Arthur the Aardvark--it's an Aardman picture, which always wins points with me. Fun concept, definite big-screen picture--I enjoyed it a lot.
Old 11-24-11, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: Arthur Christmas (D: Sarah Smith, 2011) - Voices of McAvoy, Laurie, Broadbent, Ni

I'll go ahead and admit that I like most of the Aardman productions (mainly from the Wallace and Gromit realm), but transfer that animation sensibility from claymation-ish techniques to CGI animation, you still get a visually fun and interesting film about the logistics of being Santa Claus, and how does he manage to deliver all those toys around the world in just one night.

But, I think it won't play as well to kids, as the scenes elicit grins, more than laughs for most of the film, so I don't know what the word of mouth will be for it, but I enjoyed it for the most part.

I give it 2.75 stars, or a grade of B-.
Old 11-24-11, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 689 Likes on 563 Posts
Re: Arthur Christmas (D: Sarah Smith, 2011) - Voices of McAvoy, Laurie, Broadbent, Ni

For a classy Britpic, the Justin Bieber song almost ruined it for me
Old 11-24-11, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^ thanks for the sig material
Old 12-14-11, 03:41 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777 View Post
For a classy Britpic, the Justin Bieber song almost ruined it for me
but even the 3D for the Bieber song wasn't even that good.

now regarding the movie, what a hoot, I was trying to see all the clever Aardman visual jokes which were many. I liked the check list of Steve's: 'Take over Empire' and the brief cameo of 'Shaun the Sheep' (in toy form)

and I liked the fact that the Santa myth made him that it was a lineage of men, not this mythical immortal character that many X-mas themed movies perceive him to be. While the basic premise of the movie was well done for the trailer, I thought the overall movie was way better - and there were enough adult-geared jokes for me to laugh at.
Old 12-29-11, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 161 Likes on 122 Posts

Yeah I found this to be an enjoyable Christmas movie, not sure whether it will be a yearly thing, but it was good.