Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Savages (D: O. Stone, S: Lively, Hirsch, Hayek, Travolta, Thurman, Del Toro) 2012

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Savages (D: O. Stone, S: Lively, Hirsch, Hayek, Travolta, Thurman, Del Toro) 2012

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-12, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts
Re: Savages (D: O. Stone, S: Lively, Hirsch, Hayek, Travolta, Thurman, Del Toro) 2012

Originally Posted by WeylandYutani
Stone did that with U-Turn. It sucked.
Ooh... Forgot about U-TURN. (Didn't we all?) Yes, it did suck.
But this one doesn't have Sean Penn and J-Lo. It's got some guys I've never seen before plus Salma Hayek and Benicio Del Toro. These last two could make it work.
Old 07-06-12, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts
Re: Savages (D: O. Stone, S: Lively, Hirsch, Hayek, Travolta, Thurman, Del Toro) 2012

Seeing this in about 20 minutes. I'm stoked. I hear it's ultra bloody and violent.
Old 07-06-12, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Was this also a low budget effort like U-Turn? It would be cool if it was low budget enough to turn a healthy profit and let studios know that R-rated action flicks with a modest price can be a good summer investment. I am honestly getting tired of only seeing rated R comedies during the summer (Prometheus was the first non-comedy a very long time).
Old 07-06-12, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts

Looking forward to seeing this sometime this weekend.

Wow. Judging by my track record at Letterboxd, this will be the first R-rated movie I've seen at the theater since 2009's Inglorious Basterds (Not counting Paranormal Activity 3 because of it's non-traditional found-footage style)
Old 07-06-12, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Wow, what a ride. Great cast, lots of hardcore violence, lots of sex, etc...

Here's the bad part: Blake Lively. She's a horrible actress. Uber hot, but just horrible. If it weren't for everything else i probably would have hated it.

Spoiler:
Her character is not mean, but she's just one of these OC bimbos that grew up rich and just get by on their looks. Vapid city. I wondered at times if she was even worth saving. Other than her, the movie was a bloody thrill ride. I'd say, tonality-wise, it's like Domino in the beginning, but then gets serious as things pick up.

The Blu-ray should be phenomenal.
Old 07-06-12, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Not sure about this movie. I've never really been much of an Oliver Stone fan but this looks like it could be decent. I may have to check it out at some point.
Old 07-06-12, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Was this also a low budget effort like U-Turn? It would be cool if it was low budget enough to turn a healthy profit and let studios know that R-rated action flicks with a modest price can be a good summer investment. I am honestly getting tired of only seeing rated R comedies during the summer (Prometheus was the first non-comedy a very long time).
$45m budget
Old 07-07-12, 12:35 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
It's got some guys I've never seen before plus Salma Hayek and Benicio Del Toro. These last two could make it work.
You didn't see Kick-Ass?
Old 07-07-12, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I liked this despite the cop out ending. Blake Lively certainly was the weak point but I thought Johnson and Kitsch were great and did a great job carrying the movie. The real scene stealers are Travolta and Del Toro of course and I loved watching them chew the scenery. This was a very decent, dark crime drama and I was glad that Oliver Stone didn't sacrifice his style to tell a more 'mainstream' story, but also didn't go fucking overboard with it. I think I'd have preferred ending number 1 but I liked it a lot regardless. 3.5/5
Old 07-07-12, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 113 Likes on 75 Posts

I thought it was ok as well and ending 1 was better, the ending pissed me off.
Old 07-07-12, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I liked
Spoiler:
ending #1 too, but I thought Travolta nailed it in ending #2, especially during the press conference. I lol'd.

BTW, for my Spanish speaking, Spanish television brethren, that quirky little theme song is indeed the "Chespirito" theme song. You'll never think about Chespirito the same way again.
Old 07-08-12, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 424 Likes on 305 Posts

I saw it this afternoon, surprised how packed the theatre was for Saturday afternoon. I thought ending 1 made the most sense for the movie, but can see why ending 2 was used if we are supposed to be rooting for Ben and chon.
Old 07-08-12, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

I liked it okay. Blake Lively almost kinda ruins it by acting poorly. But then her character kinda sucks as written because it doesn't seem like Ben and Chon would go through all that trouble for someone who's sort of lifeless. Salma also wasn't very menacing. A better actress would've nailed the part. I also didn't like the two endings. Didn't see much use for it other than a Gotcha! I say wait to rent it.
Old 07-08-12, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Ending pissed me off, and it felt like Oliver Stone trying to out Guy Ritchie Guy Ritchie with all the filters, speed up, slow down, zoom in bullshit. The man is so obsessed with Style he forgot he needed to tell a story. Why Blake lively is cast in anything is beyond me, and both of her boyfriends were hard to care about. The only bright spot is Del toro....who is phenomenal as always. I wish I had waited to rent it.
Old 07-08-12, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by brizz
Ending pissed me off, and it felt like Oliver Stone trying to out Guy Ritchie Guy Ritchie with all the filters, speed up, slow down, zoom in bullshit. The man is so obsessed with Style he forgot he needed to tell a story. Why Blake lively is cast in anything is beyond me, and both of her boyfriends were hard to care about. The only bright spot is Del toro....who is phenomenal as always. I wish I had waited to rent it.

As much as I like Guy Ritchie, I think you have it the other way around. If anything, I'd go with more of a Tony Scott aesthetic than anything.

The three Oliver Stone films that have the funky editing that I can think of are: JFK, Natural Born Killers, and U-Turn.

This one did not have that style, though.
Old 07-08-12, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

I enjoyed it mainly because of the two leads. The ending was kind of cheap, and the narration was awful.
Old 07-09-12, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good film up until the end, would have been way more badass if they kept the first end. The second one turns it into a hollywood ending/comedy
Old 07-09-12, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

And for those that want to keep the adventure going, there is a prequel novel by writer Don Winslow: The Kings of Cool.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Kings-Cool...1814083&sr=1-1

I'm in.
Old 07-09-12, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

I found this interesting interview with Stone about the film:

http://www.festivaloffilms.com/blog/...vage-is-loose/

He talks about Taylor Kitsch:
FOF: And Taylor Kitsch, who plays Chon, the ex-Navy SEAL who served in Iraq and Afghanistan?

OS: He’s a solid, solid leading man. Reminds me somewhat of a young Charlton Heston, and I think can have a long, long career, in spite of all that bulls**t about, you know [John Carter and Battleship, two box office underachievers]. I mean, it was hard the way he started — you know, think about Paul Newman in [the 1954 Biblical epic] The Silver Chalice, too. You gotta figure out he’s just got the chops for the long term.
Old 07-09-12, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

1st off, this seemed a little too straight forward for Oliver Stone. I kept expecting to see some political commentary or something similar in this movie.

Benecio was fantastic in this. Scary dude. Selma was fine in the role, but they could of showed what made her the boss of the cartel. Tim Riggins and the other guy were pretty good. Didn't think Travolta was anything special and I could of used a little more of his story line. Blake Lively was hot and not much else. Not sure she really brought anything else to the story. She should of gotten naked.

I could of lived with either ending, but I didn't like the fake out. Pick one Oliver Stone. Save the other for the DC or as a deleted scene.

Not sure I totally bought what made O so special that those 2 guys would share her.

The torture scene was pretty brutal and hard to watch. I started to cringe.

I think a longer cut of this movie would make this movie better and more interesting. They would have to do some reediting though, because it already felt like a longer movie than it actually was.

Overall, I enjoyed the movie.
Old 07-09-12, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Oliver Stone's latest film deals with a love triangle between 2 pot-makers, Ben (Aaron Johnson) and Chon (Taylor Kitsch) and O (Blake Lively), a lovely California blonde being exploited by a Mexican drug lord Elena Lorena (Salma Hayek) to gain a foothold in Ben and Chon's distribution network.

The supporting cast, led by Benecio del Toro and John Travolta nearly steal every scene they are in, and the developing story and dialogue in the first 2/3 of the movie was pretty enjoyable, though very violent in spots (totally earns its R rating). But the resolution was a little too safe (though humorous), and the use of narration by O is somewhat of a crutch to extend the running time a bit.

I give it 2.75 stars, or a grade of B-.
Old 07-09-12, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by boogieman03
1st off, this seemed a little too straight forward for Oliver Stone. I kept expecting to see some political commentary or something similar in this movie.

Benecio was fantastic in this. Scary dude. Selma was fine in the role, but they could of showed what made her the boss of the cartel. Tim Riggins and the other guy were pretty good. Didn't think Travolta was anything special and I could of used a little more of his story line. Blake Lively was hot and not much else. Not sure she really brought anything else to the story. She should of gotten naked.

I could of lived with either ending, but I didn't like the fake out. Pick one Oliver Stone. Save the other for the DC or as a deleted scene.

Not sure I totally bought what made O so special that those 2 guys would share her.

The torture scene was pretty brutal and hard to watch. I started to cringe.

I think a longer cut of this movie would make this movie better and more interesting. They would have to do some reediting though, because it already felt like a longer movie than it actually was.

Overall, I enjoyed the movie.

There was. It was about decriminalizing the plant or continue to see heads roll. Literally. It wasn't overt, but that's what they kept talking about throughout the film.
Old 07-09-12, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
The three Oliver Stone films that have the funky editing that I can think of are: JFK, Natural Born Killers, and U-Turn.
Four Oliver Stone films: Nixon had funky editing too.

(It might be five. I never saw Any Given Sunday)
Old 07-09-12, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 207 Posts

I did not like the idiotic "Just because I'm narrating doesn't mean I'm alive at the end...this could be a recording." Oh really? So you made a recording for nobody in particular wherein you start randomly talking about people you haven't met yet? Come the fuck on.
Old 07-09-12, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by PatD
Four Oliver Stone films: Nixon had funky editing too.

(It might be five. I never saw Any Given Sunday)

Yep, you're right. Forgot about Nixon. Any Given Sunday, no.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.