Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Tarsem's "Mirror, Mirror" (Julia Roberts - March 16,2012)

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Tarsem's "Mirror, Mirror" (Julia Roberts - March 16,2012)

Old 03-30-12, 09:44 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Re: Tarsem's "Mirror, Mirror" (Julia Roberts - March 16,2012)

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
alright. So give us the lowdown...is it in anyway like what the trailers have shown it..cuz...those are some bad trailers. I'm not sure I could survive w/ that kind of tone.
if you can look beyond the mere fact that Julia Roberts, Armie and Nathan Lane are in it and you accept their characters - you might enjoy it, I liked the story, the humor, the effects ... yes this is Tarsem at his most commercial in terms of casting, but I think the trailers ups the humor a little too much - I thought Tarsem does a good job at keeping every element cohesive and entertaining.

If after a movie it elicitis 'I'll buy that on blu-ray' it has succeeded for me, this did, 'Wrath' did not.
Old 03-31-12, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 307 Likes on 229 Posts

We went and watched it this morning and I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. It is definitely worth seeing if you like the story of Snow White and Tarsem's visuals.
Old 03-31-12, 06:50 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

......guess I'll see this in that case. Cuz the tone that trailer gives me scares the shit out of me.
Old 04-01-12, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I wasn't much of a fan of the first 1/3 of the film, tonally, although it featured some nice "camerawork" showing us the setting of where such a kingdom and the surrounding woods where the story of Snow White and the 7 Dwarves would take place. I knew director Tarsem with his keen visual eye and flair would make for an interesting looking film, but he plays it close to the vest, as it's targeted to being a family film to be shared by young children and parents alike.

The queen (hammily played by Julia Roberts) has siphoned off as much from her subjects in the nearby township, and is in need of marrying for more money and status, as her king disappeared 10 years ago. Snow White (Lily Collins), sole heir to the kingdom (born of another queen before this current queen), has been kept out of sight for the decade, but it's now her 18th birthday, and she yearns to explore her surroundings, and that she does. The queen has a special mirror which reflects upon her the cost of appearing to be desirable through the dark powers of magic, and its continued use. Prince "Charming" as it were, turns out to be Prince Alcott (Armie Hammer) from a place plenitful in all things the queen needs, and is ambushed by the dwarves, outfitted with magical stilts, and left hanging upsidedown along side his assistant. Speaking of assistants, Nathan Lane puts in a small, but nice performance of being the queen's primary underling, though the role is quite underwritten for his talent.

The rest of the film finally gains a footing in the 2nd act as Snow White meets up with the 7 dwarves, and she gets her own little training montage of self-sufficiency, while bringing in a moral compass to the dwarves, who had been getting by through outright banditry. The dwarves were written to provide comic relief, and most of them did quite well, bringing levity and visual campiness to even out the murderous designs by the queen. Lily Collins looked quite lovely as a princess early on in the film, but in the woods, with the dwarves, she appeared to look even more like a combination of a Jennifer Connelly and Audrey Hepburn in their younger years, quite fetching, I might say.

Being directed for a younger audience, I thought the film was fine, it could have a little more bite to it, but that would have brought in far more cynicism than the story should have been saddled with, so I enjoyed the last 2/3 moreso than the opening act.

I give it 2.75 stars, or a grade of B-.
Old 04-01-12, 12:28 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hepburn...that's what it was. every time I saw something of her from this I kept thinking she looked like some classic actor.
Old 04-01-12, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,187 Likes on 2,055 Posts

I just found out she was Phil Collins' daughter. She does have an Audrey Hepburn look though.
Old 04-02-12, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 619 Likes on 478 Posts

Yeah, she totally looks like Audrey Hepburn. Probably why I like her so much.

Apparently that Twilight wolf guy is her boyfriend. Just another reason to hate him but... I can't hate a guy for having good taste so I'm conflicted.
Old 04-04-12, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I liked it a lot. It's light as a feather and contains no surprises, but it's funny and very enjoyable.

Would like to have seen less of the dwarf action scenes on stilts, and more about them at home and about their former lives in the kingdom before the queen banished them.

The entire cast is fine, and Lily Collins is just breathtakingly beautiful.
Old 04-04-12, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 619 Likes on 478 Posts

That's good to hear, Charlie Goose. I've been looking forward to this.
Old 04-05-12, 11:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finally watched Immortals and just WOW. The man really knows how to shoot some gorgeous film. That alone makes me want to see this.
Old 04-05-12, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 278 Likes on 179 Posts

Well the reviews are typical of a Singh film. All style but no substance.
Old 04-08-12, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Saw this yesterday and thought it was pretty mediocre on all counts, outside of Lily Collins looking beautiful. It's a cute little fairy tale that I picture being on the Disney Channel or something, but nothing particularly interesting or good that makes it standout. A nice take on the Snow White story, and the portrayal of all the dwarfs were really well done, but I didn't care for Julia Roberts at all, and the stuff with the Prince takes a far too wacky direction at the end.

Just a weird mix between seriousness and the goofiness, and the goofiness just didn't fit in that well to me. I also thought the song and dance at the end were out of place.